7 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2008 - 7:56AM #1
bblue
I am new at this practice (only 4 months).  My chanting was bringing miraculous benefits and changes in me and the world around me.  Something devastating happened and now I get angry at the idea of chanting. It's as if the words just won't come out. I am angry, sad, confused.  I simply cannot believe that a problem so big would suddenly present itself to me now.  I feel so discouraged. Anyone else experience this kind of thing?  I even missed my big day of receiving Gohonzon because I felt like a fraud and I felt no happiness or compassion in my heart.  This faith is what sustained me the most before this traumatic event and now I can't even turn to it because I am so badly damaged.

Any advice?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2008 - 11:21AM #2
austex
bblue,

Maybe it would help to remember that neither Nichiren Shonin nor his followers had an easy time of things.  Whatever it is that has happened or is happening in your life, you can find Buddha Nature there as well.  Have you tried doing some reading/studying of the LS and/or Nichiren's writings?  That would probably be helpful to you.

Good luck!

--Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 7:41AM #3
Lotus-4311
When I started chanting, just two years ago,  I had experience great benefits and obstacles.  I had been evictated from apartment, lost a job.  All the while I had the support of fellow Buddhists members, and I kept chanting and participated in activities.  This is when you need support from your members and chant with determination.  I did feel what was the point of chantig if I was going to face challenges that felt as if I was taking two steps forward and three steps backgroud.  Remember when we chant to Gohonzon it is a reflection of our lives and we chant to have the courages to face any challenge that come into lives. 

Do not give up, and I will be chanting for you to have strength

Lotus-4311
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 8:33PM #4
Budog
Having been involved before in Nichiren Buddhism and then walking away from it due to intense family pressure, I can tell you it was a huge mistake... I don't think anyone can promise that we won't ever face trials and tribulations, but it is how we deal with them that ultimately matters. We also have to take into account the effects of karma. Four months is very early in your spiritual quest. Spirituality isn't about the destination, but about the journey. Forgive and let go of hatred, hurt or resentment or they will eat you alive. JMHO

Be blessed

Budog.

http://community.beliefnet.com/budogbuddhist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 9:18PM #5
Engyo
I have to agree with Budog here.  Someone once told me that Buddhist practice is lifelong.....figure out what you expect from a four-month-old baby, then judge your practice that way.  Of course we don't expect a four-month-old baby to understand calculus or run a marathon; your practice is the same.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 10:50AM #6
june12
"The purpose of faith is to attain enlightenment, which means absolute happiness. We began our practice to become happy, but why do we have to meet so many obstacles? It is because we need these trials called obstacles/problems to mold a diamond-like, indestructible "self' of Buddhahood within us."-Daisaku Ikeda

Whatever trouble or problem you may into right now, good for you! You all have the chance to prove to yourself and to the world the power of Gohonzon. Believing in the Gohonzon is believing in yourself. Start chanting again and strengthen your faith by attending meetings and seeking guidance from your senior leaders and other members.

I was able to overcome the time when i was in your situation by doing the above. Once you overcome all these, you will be a better and stronger person.

Keep the faith, it's the best thing to do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 2:23PM #7
Budog
[QUOTE=june12;396579]"The purpose of faith is to attain enlightenment, which means absolute happiness. We began our practice to become happy, but why do we have to meet so many obstacles? It is because we need these trials called obstacles/problems to mold a diamond-like, indestructible "self' of Buddhahood within us."-Daisaku Ikeda

Whatever trouble or problem you may into right now, good for you! You all have the chance to prove to yourself and to the world the power of Gohonzon. Believing in the Gohonzon is believing in yourself. Start chanting again and strengthen your faith by attending meetings and seeking guidance from your senior leaders and other members.

I was able to overcome the time when i was in your situation by doing the above. Once you overcome all these, you will be a better and stronger person.

Keep the faith, it's the best thing to do.[/QUOTE]

I have faced and overcome many obstacles and trials in life, some major and tragic and others that were just speed bumps along the highway of life. But I do know that each of them has made me a better and stronger person. Today I am grateful for those life lessons learned and will not allow my past to hold me back. Yesterday is past, tomorrow is to come and worrying and wringing our hands will change nothing. The adversities I have overcome makes me whom I am today and makes me better at the job I do as an "at risk youth counselor". I can tell you from personal experience, listen to your heart not your ego, return to your practice and things can and do improve!

Be blessed,

Budog.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook