Switch to Forum Live View The Buddhism of Daisaku Ikeda
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 2:09PM #1
Livindesert
Why not call SGI the Buddhism of Daisaku Ikeda. After reading Etoro's post on the KHS thread he mentions that people who are alive are the best to learn Buddhism from. So why not just call SGI Buddhism Ikeda's Buddhism? If we go off of the premise that it is better to follow a live mentor. Of course Nichiren's mentor Shakyamuni the creator of Myoho Renge Kyo was already dead when Nichiren arrived on the scene.
But really if the focus is to be constantly updated then why stick with what some view that outdated teachers hadsuch as Nichiren and Shakyamuni as Etoro's post seemed to point too?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 4:13PM #2
sgi_chris
President Ikeda is a leader in the SGI...Not the founder or the Object of Devotion.

It is for this reason that the Buddha laid down the principle, ‘Rely on the Law and not upon persons.
[No.13, Page 102, col 1, paragraph 18, Content]

As for what they said to you:
When we surrender our willingness to quest for enlightenment and are satisfied with letting others educate us, without question, we will certainly suffer.

President Ikeda presents his commentaries for us to read, we don't have to follow everything about them. However, speaking from experience there is much benefit to from Presidents Makiguchi, Toda, and Ikeda's lessons and commentaries.

Chanting is what will rid us all of delusion! Chant and do not give up!

-Chris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 5:13PM #3
Littlebear4181
If I may, I would like to write you privately as some of my questions and discussions may offer fuel for
what others may take as bait for battle. but I would like to sort out some concerns about SGI's construct that
concern me and I am not sure how to respond to them. Also to Buddhism in general.
May I contact you off message board>?
by the way,  I did not recieve a response to a PM regard your posts so I am not even able to
ascertain whether you do recieve my PM's (private messages) or if other members have.
Thank you for your response , either way.

Yours,
Littlebear
...........*
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 11:11PM #4
sgi_chris
no problem littlebear email me at cabshear@gmail.com

We can discuss all that there. Good luck!

-Chris
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2011 - 2:48AM #5
Bob_the_Lunatic

As an SGI member of 2 decades, I can understand this thinking.  I have seen indications of a new culture where Daisaku Ikeda seems to actually overshadow Nichiren Daishonin-which I completely disagree with.

SGI does indeed call Nichiren Shoshu the "Nikken Sect" at times ( a bit outdated now of course) and I've heard them call SGI "Ikedaism" and so forth.  There's probably some truth to both.

Personally I do think SGI has gotten a bit carried away with the International President, not to take anything away from him and his amazing life of efforts-BUT let's not lose the focus of Buddhism on its theoretical level:   The Gosho, not Daisaku Ikeda's writings.

This is not an explicit issue-it is an implicit one, so the OP's comment is indeed founded.  On that note however, I would say it is each human's choice what they follow and what they read.  But "faith, practice, study" to me means just that:  Study the Gosho. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook