Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: My Peace Proposal [Nikken and SGI]
9 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 2:00PM #1
sgi_chris
DECLARATION OF PEACE TO THE NICHIREN SHOSHU NIKKEN SECT

I am writing this proposal to declare my vote of peace between the Soka Gakkai and the Nikken Sect of the greater Nichiren Shoshu denomination of Buddhism. I am enacting this based upon my inner conviction from chanting and witnessing the rancid disagreements on both sides.

Doctrine resides within both of these schools of thought, and both also disagree on many points of such doctrines. No peace will be made if Nikken Lay Members and Soka Gakkai members focus their vision on points of disagreement. We must overcome such views of disagreement and set our sights higher; the enlightenment of humanity must be our highest priority. This goal will be in vain if we do not set aside the difference that we have and stand strong together. 

The Soka Gakkai currently resides as an organization dedicate to World Peace, our views of the priesthood are replete. These views are not made simply to further the assumption that we are rebellious, but that we feel the path to Buddhahood is just as much an individualistic endeavor as much as it is an struggles for the greater sangha. We do believe with our very hearts that enlightenment is not a possession that belongs to a priest, but is infused into every human mind. Such a doctrine we feel is firmly written in the Gosho, and many passages have been presented to defend our points.

However, just as many Gosho passages have been presented on the side of the Nikken Sect. Such effort will not go wasted. I feel that there is a heritage that the Nikken Sect is upholding, that is not entirely false.

I will continue to practice in the SGI with the everyday intent to repair the broken relationships with the greater Nikken School. The greatest enemy of the SGI Buddhist is not the Nikken Priesthood, but the practioners own lesser self. With that being mentioned, I move to announce that though many horrible things have been said about both sides, today a new sun rises, a new day gives way to peace of all humanity; even the priests of the Nikken sect. We must stow our disagreements and revolutionize our hearts and minds so as to bring enlightenment to the World!

After I have passed
into extinction, in the last five-hundred-
year period you must spread it
[the Lotus Sutra] abroad widely
throughout Jambudvipa and never
allow it to be cut off.”
                                         -The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 23

Today is the day where we will stand up from the ashes, the internal battle we have waged long enough! The SGI and our Nikken brothers and sisters will never be defeated, we will never give up. Though we have differences, they will make us stronger. Profound those differences will be, but even more profound is the mighty roar of the True Essence of the Lotus Sutra and that is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

With intent and strength,
-Chris A.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 8:42AM #2
Engyo
Hi, Chris -

First, let me say I heartily applaud your message and the sentiments expressed. 

Respectfully, though, it might have more impact if you remove the "Nikken Sect" rhetoric - this is derogatory language used by SGI towards Nichiren Shoshu, and not in use by anyone else. 

Nichiren Shoshu does not refer to themselves as the Nikken sect, and they never have.  Ven. Nikken has retired, and is no longer the High Priest of Nichiren Shoshu.

To illustrate my point, how would you feel if someone referred to SGI members as "my Ikeda brothers and sisters", or to SGI itself as the "Ikeda Sect"?

Again, I heartily applaud your sentiments; I just think their impact is lessened with the use of this inflammatory rhetoric, which I am sure you didn't truly intend.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2008 - 11:39AM #3
sgi_chris
I see, this was information that I was unaware of, my deepest apologies.Thank you for the update, I had no idea that this priest was retired. I guess this proves that we need more positive attitudes in the Gakkai.

I pray for the day that we can come together and spread, the Law, that can only be transmitted between Buddhas, to the entire world.

I hope that, aside from the mistaken terminology, this proposal can move the Shu and Shoshu Buddhists to come together for the greater enlightenment of all humanity.

Nothing is more powerful than our lives, for they are myoho-renge-kyo!

-Chris
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2008 - 8:13PM #4
etoro
Thank you Chris. Your passion for truth, justice and compassion comes across loud and clear.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2008 - 1:02PM #5
sgi_chris
Your welcome, I guess sitting around sprewing hatred about other schools of Buddhism is most certainly not the proper attitude of a potential Buddha!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 8:32PM #6
Littlebear4181
Dear sgi chris,

It was my pleasure to find your forum,  I am aquantied with that "neverdispise"
character that was stiring such trouble on one or more of your threads.
goes to prove, even devils have their value.  Had it not been for the necessity to
discount his rantings in "our realm"  then I would not have found (googled) my way
to your realm.
I am very interested in the words that you and your members might have for me,
and what your perceptions might be.
I am a (discontented) Soka Gakkai member,  seeking like minded people who are
SGI members, and have a healthy sense of what a religion and philosophy should
be (ie, self -affirming).

Karuna, metta and blessings of the Buddha .

Littlebear4
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 8:32PM #7
Littlebear4181
Dear sgi chris,

It was my pleasure to find your forum,  I am aquantied with that "neverdispise"
character that was stiring such trouble on one or more of your threads.
goes to prove, even devils have their value.  Had it not been for the necessity to
discount his rantings in "our realm"  then I would not have found (googled) my way
to your realm.
I am very interested in the words that you and your members might have for me,
and what your perceptions might be.
I am a (discontented) Soka Gakkai member,  seeking like minded people who are
SGI members, and have a healthy sense of what a religion and philosophy should
be (ie, self -affirming).

Karuna, metta and blessings of the Buddha .

Littlebear4
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2008 - 4:45PM #8
sgi_chris
Hello Littlebear4 I'm sorry to hear that you are discontented, be sure to never give up, that sense of doubt is what our delusion feeds on! I certainly hope that you don't think that I don't like "never-despise." Mark is certainly a potential Buddha, we have our disagreements, but that makes us stronger!!

The SGI is a personal practice, though we are a community that doesn't mean that everything that is discussed in study meetings you have to agree with.

I believe that being a well balanced Buddhist should stir together their worldview from many different sources. Just because it's in the World Tribune or in Living Buddhism doesn't mean that it has to become a way of life. Though it can be beneficial to your faith (study is beneficial to any religious person's faith!) Everyone has a different and unique way of become one with their inner Buddha-nature, littlebear4.

Though the Nichiren Shu, and Sho-shu, practitioners are my Brothers and Sisters, because they chant the Daimoku, I am a SGI member and I do believe in the teachings of the SGI. I trust in President Ikeda's message and I do believe that the Eternal Buddha did manifest as Shakyamuni, but ultimately it is Myoho-renge-kyo.

Good Luck and be sure that no matter who it is you must show the compassion to any and everyone! Remember that in Shakyamuni's previous he preached the 24 character Lotus Sutra!

However, to all Buddhists reading this; I know that as Buddhists we are responsible for protecting the dharma and not letting it become distorted. However, utilizing the Buddha-Dharma as a weapon to cut down people of your own religion, or philosophical values, is just as profanatory to the Buddha-dharma. The Buddha said, in the Digha Nikaya that though not all religions teach the "exact" same thing or the "exact" same goal, we should accept and religious or philosophical truth without prejudice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2008 - 4:43PM #9
Littlebear4181
Not that I said you don't like him.  I just never condone anyone who comes with the concrete purpose to
bring dissention.
I believe there must be consequences to protect the higher good and benefit of the greater number
rather than lowering quality to placate to a minority whose intetion is to lower unity, aspiration and
determination.

Though harmony is important, I do agree with "Mark" that dogma plays its part, but I feel that so often I
see over emphasis on dogma building walls and not bridges.

Littlebear
Randy
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2008 - 4:52PM #10
Littlebear4181
I like your approach , mr Chris.

However, you wrote: However, to all Buddhists reading this; I know that as Buddhists we are responsible for protecting the dharma and not letting it become distorted. However, utilizing the Buddha-Dharma as a weapon to cut down people of your own religion, or philosophical values, is just as profanatory to the Buddha-dharma. The Buddha said, in the Digha Nikaya that though not all religions teach the "exact" same thing or the "exact" same goal, we should accept and religious or philosophical truth without prejudice.

>>>

One of the things I struggle with is balancing, teachings, encouraging  tolerance.  It is often a challenge to
separate or understand the differences of tolerance, respect, honor and acceptence when
dealing with different points of view on dharma.
Might you explain to me how you address these different aspects when dealing with non-Buddhists
and with SGi Buddhists and keeping the message uncorrupted.  I am not sure how to discuss with
new members how tolerance, acceptance, respect , and honoring other's points of view and promolgating
those views (to the detriment of others) should be handled in private and public.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Littlebear
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook