Switch to Forum Live View Can I be celibate if I am asexual?
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 12:35PM #1
labratcat
This might be a rather odd question and I'm not really sure how to phrase it, so please bear with me.

I understand that celibacy is, in many ways, about overcoming desire and craving.  I am, for whatever reason, asexual and have never felt these desires in the first place.  I (informally) made a promise of celibacy to myself many years ago - before I had any idea of what sexual desire entails by any stretch of the imagination.  But because I don't need to really do anything to try to stay celibate, can I still choose to be celibate?  Or does it not really count since I don't have to struggle at all?

I hope what I wrote made some sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 12:22AM #2
RenGalskap
It doesn't count unless you suffer. ;)

Seriously, if you have no desire to have sex, don't do it. If you are comfortable abstaining, you're not going to accomplish anything by forcing yourself.

Celibacy is whatever you decide it is. It doesn't have to be about overcoming desire and craving. It may just be your natural behavior, and that's fine. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 12:22AM #3
RenGalskap
It doesn't count unless you suffer. ;)

Seriously, if you have no desire to have sex, don't do it. If you are comfortable abstaining, you're not going to accomplish anything by forcing yourself.

Celibacy is whatever you decide it is. It doesn't have to be about overcoming desire and craving. It may just be your natural behavior, and that's fine. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook