Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View SGI vs. Nichiren Shu
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2011 - 7:27AM #21
Engyo

Hi again, AZM -

I take your message, but perhaps you  missed mine.  It's great you want to make your own decisions, but please let me make mine as well.

Namaste, Engyo

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2012 - 3:05PM #22
Seattlebuddhist

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJbqQP_0jMs

This video maybe helpful.  There are some important differences between Nichiren Shu, Nichiren Shoshu, and the SGI.  We made this four part series to attempt to educate people on some of the topics during their spiritual study.

With Gassho

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2013 - 1:37PM #23
Buddhahess
In my opinion, sgi vs. nichiren shu doesnt exist. Im an african american male that went through baptist, islam, and Rastafarian beliefs. I have rested in the lotus sutra.POINT BLANK.... Woody from toys story could read me the lotus sutra or any dharma text and im listening. I love nichiren shu, he lead a life we wont forget, but to read his writings and me call him anything other than what he asked or even thought of himself is not my intention. He can be what he wants to you. He is my teachers-teachers-teacher and on- and-on. Im staying in the dharma
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2014 - 6:40AM #24
Dhruvthukral

Aug 21, 2008 -- 11:12AM, H82Diet wrote:

Hi, I am new to Nichiren Buddhism so I did not go through the breakup between SGI and Nichiren Shu. I've read about it a bit but only from the SGI perspective. At a community center meeting recently they made an announcement that we should chant for the Nichiren Shu to abandon their erroneous teachings. I am not clear on what this means. I recently read a Nichiren Shu publication and it was wonderful. Is their no chance of reconciliation between the two groups? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Lynn To listen to Nichiren Chanting music go to: www.AlanSmallwood.com

What is the difference between the two?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2014 - 6:41AM #25
Dhruvthukral

i mean sgi and nichiren shu

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2014 - 12:48AM #26
etoro

I am an SGI member for a really long time so lets get that out the way.  I also dont really want to get drawn into any war of words of religious sects. So I will be simple.  The division between SGI and Nichiren Shu is actually quite irrelevant. What is important is that you start chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and see what the practice will do for your life.  I suppose you can either practice with NIchiren Shu or SGI or any other of the Nichiren subsects. Eventually common sense and the wisdom that comes from practice will guide you in the appropriate direction; the direction which continues to bring you more good fortune and benefit in your life.  You will also come to understand what the true meaning of good fortune and benefit actually means in the depth of your life.

That is all I wish to ad to this question. 

PS:  of course I would recommend that you start with us in the SGI. But that is totally up to you.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2015 - 1:01PM #27
Jupiter6208

Nichiren Shu would be the one i'd go with if i were to follow Nichiren Buddisim. it seems more true and authentic to me just my opinion.   I would practice but there's none around me just SGI. But that being said I think SGI would be a good starting point just don't get caught up in all that Ikeda BS.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2015 - 7:44AM #28
etoro

IKeda BS?  I my view there is no way the SGI could be true and correct if the relationship between the actual leader of the movement and the membership that follows is BS.   I grant you all that it is a complex issue especially in light of the workings and functions of the human ego at work in all human beings. Mastering the mind, learning of both its dualistic and non-dualistic aspects is the work that must be undertaken. BUt Nichiren Daishonin provided us all human beings with the most excellent tool for performing the work throughout this lifetime.  You dont have to believe me, just study his writings thoroughly and follow his prescription throughout your life and then of course read, study and analyze the Lotus Sutra. Everything, and especially the principle of the mentor -disciple relationshsip and its oneness will naturally become clear in your mind as you over come self doubt and delusions. The philosphy of the Lotus Sutra reveals nothing other than the process of awakening to the oneness of the mentor - disciple relationship.  And since this is in fact the case if this principle were to remain dormant within the practicing community of the Soka Gakkai International, then how could we possibly manifest a profound unity of purpose and remain that way over the course of time and ever endeavor to manfest the goal of the Lotus Sutra's practice.  The practice and the movement would then be a total loss and would not even exist in the world. But this could never happen.

I will explain why in the next post.

Best

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2015 - 7:54AM #29
etoro

NIchiren states,

I, Nichiren, am the richest man in all of present-day Japan. I have dedicated my life to the Lotus Sutra, and my name will be handed down in ages to come. If one is lord of the great ocean, then all the gods of the various rivers will obey one. If one is king of Mount Sumeru, then the gods of the various other mountains cannot help but serve one. If a person fulfills the teaching of “the six difficult and nine easy acts” of the Lotus Sutra, then, even though he may not have read the entire body of sutras, all should follow him.

This statement of Nichiren's written 800 years ago has come true exactly as he could percieve on the basis of the functions of the mystic law of cause anbd effect.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook