Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View SGI vs. Nichiren Shu
Show More
Flag H82Diet August 21, 2008 11:12 AM EDT
Hi,
I am new to Nichiren Buddhism so I did not go through the breakup between SGI and Nichiren Shu.  I've read about it a bit but only from the SGI perspective.  At a community center meeting recently they made an announcement that we should chant for the Nichiren Shu to abandon their erroneous teachings.  I am not clear on what this means.  I recently read a Nichiren Shu publication and it was wonderful.  Is their no chance of reconciliation between the two groups?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Lynn
To listen to Nichiren Chanting music go to:
www.AlanSmallwood.com
Flag H82Diet August 21, 2008 11:12 AM EDT
Hi,
I am new to Nichiren Buddhism so I did not go through the breakup between SGI and Nichiren Shu.  I've read about it a bit but only from the SGI perspective.  At a community center meeting recently they made an announcement that we should chant for the Nichiren Shu to abandon their erroneous teachings.  I am not clear on what this means.  I recently read a Nichiren Shu publication and it was wonderful.  Is their no chance of reconciliation between the two groups?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Lynn
www.AlanSmallwood.com
Flag Engyo August 21, 2008 1:53 PM EDT
[QUOTE=H82Diet;706454]Hi,
Thank you!

Lynn
www.AlanSmallwood.com[/QUOTE]Hi, Lynn -

Respectfully, you have made a fundamental error here.  SGI was NEVER affiliated with Nichiren Shu.  SGI was once a lay organization of Nichiren SHOshu.  Nichiren Shoshu and Nichiren Shu are two VERY different Nichiren schools.

I am curious, though.  Did anyone happen to explain which specific Nichiren Shu's erroneous teachings they would like abandoned?  I ask, because I thought SGI was moving away from Nichiren Shoshu's doctrines, but the Nichiren Shoshu doctrines are the ones which conflict with Nichiren Shu. 

Here is a thumbnail of the primary differences in doctrine between Nichiren Shoshu and Nichiren Shu (there are others).  When I was last an SGI member, SGI's positions weren't too far from Nichiren Shoshu's positions listed below; I don't know what their current doctrinal stance is in detail.

Nichiren Shoshu believes Nichiren to be the Original Buddha.  Nichiren Shu reveres Nichiren as the founder of our order, and as fulfilling the role of Bodhisattva Superior Practices, or Jogyo, just as Nichiren himself wrote.

Nichiren Shoshu believes that the wooden gohonzon known as the Dai-Gohonzon is a special, superior Omandala.  Nichiren Shu considers it to be an Omandala no different than any other.

Nichiren Shoshu teaches that Nikko was the sole successor to Nichiren's teachings, and that the other five senior disciples broke faith and abandoned Nichiren's teachings.  Nichiren Shu teaches that all of the six senior disciples kept faith with their master and his teachings, and all of them are legitimate successors to Nichiren.  Studying the history of all six of Nichiren's senior disciples after his passing is worthwhile in regard to this issue.

Nichiren Shoshu teaches that the Nichiren Shoshu High Priest inherits the legitimate succession in an unbroken line from Nikko.  Nichiren Shu has no high priest; there are several abbots, and these are elected positions.  Nichiren Shu teaches that each of us inherits the legitimate succession directly from the scrolls of the Lotus Sutra.

Anyway, if there happens to be a specific list of "erroneous teachings", I would be very interested in learning what they are.  Thanks very much in advance.
Flag H82Diet August 21, 2008 10:56 PM EDT
I thought that when they said Nichiren Shu that they were abbreviating Shoshu. So I misunderstood the two to be one group.  From what you described, I would say that SGI is closer to Nichiren Shu and not Shoshu.  I could be completely confused because I read literature that is not from SGI.
I have read Nichiren to be both the Original Buddha and Jogyo and I don't know where that came from.  I also read the two different stories about the disciples...  I believe that the erroneous teachings mentioned go something like... the priesthood tells members that they need to go through the priests to obtain enlightenment.  I live very far from either an SGI community center or a temple so 99% of my information comes from books that I order from the library and from the other newbies in our group.  I did order the SGI publication The World Tribune and have noticed on more than one occasion writing that hinted at resentment toward a priesthood.  This information makes our one Pre-breakup member very sad.  Clearly, from your response, I am more confused than I thought.
Flag austex August 21, 2008 11:22 PM EDT
I'm not sure that a lot of SGI members are even aware there is such a thing as Nichiren Shu.  I mentioned I was Nichiren Shu to an acquaintance who is an SGI member once, and he thought I was talking about Nichiren Shoshu - I'm not sure he knew there was a difference.  So maybe these people thought the same thing you did - that Nichiren Shu is just shorthand for Shoshu?  If Nichiren Shu isn't active in your area, I don't know why they would be talking about it.
Flag Engyo August 22, 2008 7:38 AM EDT
[QUOTE=H82Diet;708074]I thought that when they said Nichiren Shu that they were abbreviating Shoshu. So I misunderstood the two to be one group.  From what you described, I would say that SGI is closer to Nichiren Shu and not Shoshu.  I could be completely confused because I read literature that is not from SGI.
I have read Nichiren to be both the Original Buddha and Jogyo and I don't know where that came from.  I also read the two different stories about the disciples...  I believe that the erroneous teachings mentioned go something like... the priesthood tells members that they need to go through the priests to obtain enlightenment.  I live very far from either an SGI community center or a temple so 99% of my information comes from books that I order from the library and from the other newbies in our group.  I did order the SGI publication The World Tribune and have noticed on more than one occasion writing that hinted at resentment toward a priesthood.  This information makes our one Pre-breakup member very sad.  Clearly, from your response, I am more confused than I thought.[/QUOTE]Hi again, Lynn -

Don't worry, it's not a big deal, I just like to help people understand clearly as best I can.

Nichiren as Original Buddha is a conception of some of the Taiseki-ji High Priests - Nichiren never wrote anything like this, nor did any of his six senior disciples.  I can't say whether it was the 9th (Nichiu) or the 26th (Nichikan) or somewhere in between - I would have to look that particular point up.  It doesn't show up in the historical record until a couple of hundred years after Nichiren's passing, though.  Soka Gakkai and later SGI absorbed that concept from Nichiren Shoshu during their 60 year association.

I don't know where Nichiren Shoshu teachings stand today, but it seems the role of ministers in Nichiren Shu is being significantly misunderstood.  Nichiren Shu ministers take vows to protect the Dharma, teach it correctly  and serve their congregations.  In North America, ministers are employees of their temples under contract - and can be removed for cause if necessary.

I hope this helps clarify somewhat.
Flag sgi_chris August 25, 2008 4:02 PM EDT
Hey H82diet,

There are differences with the SGI and the Shoshu school. But, believe that through dialogue there can be peace between the schools.

The SGI was excomminicated because of differences with the Nikken Preisthood.Nichiren Shoshu's message, by contrast, is that we have to have priests - especially the high priest - to attain Buddhahood. We are incapable of doing it on our own, incomplete without that priestly intervention. But this idea is found nowhere in the Daishonin's writings. It's at odds with the Daishonin's writings, almost all of which were written to ordinary people, not to priests. Yet the priests suggest that Nikken is the only real Buddha, that he's the only one who can really understand this Buddhism, that ordinary people never can.

In contrast to that statement Nichiren says:

"becoming a Buddha is nothing extraordinary. If you chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with your whole heart, you will naturally become endowed with the Buddha's thirty-two features and eighty characteristics. As the sutra says, 'hoping to make all persons equal to me, without any distinction between us,' you can readily become as noble a Buddha as Shakyamuni." (WND, p. 1030).

The other issue at hand was the benefit of prayers to the Dai-Gohonzon"

The Daishonin established the Dai-Gohonzon for all humanity. It is the object of devotion dedicated to the happiness of all people, bestowed by the Daishonin on humankind as a whole. Because Nichiren Shoshu's current high priest has trampled on this far-reaching compassion of the Daishonin, cutting off access to the Dai-Gohonzon, he is arrogantly treating the Gohonzon as his personal possession.

Nichiren Shoshu says, "There is absolutely no benefit in refusing to visit the Dai-Gohonzon...and worshipping just a household Gohonzon, which is a transcription of that Dai-Gohonzon" (100 Questions and Answers, p. 9)

These statements are found no wear in the Daishonin's writings. As a matter of fact when he tells one of his followers to believe in the Gohonzon with their whole heart, since he inscribed his life in it, he was not refering to the dai-Gohonzon, but another Gohonzon he drew up. Good luck!

-sgi_Chris
Flag H82Diet August 25, 2008 7:46 PM EDT
Thank you for your informative responses.  I understand all of this better.  Are either Nichiren Shoshu or Nichiren Shu largely active in the US?  I found one of their websites...and read a very excellent book of theirs.
About the Gohonzon... why don't they reproduce the ones that Nichiren inscribed rather than someone elses?
Why do SGI members keep their Gohonzons hidden and not out in the open where guests to your house can see it and ask questions? 
Thanks!
Flag austex August 25, 2008 9:03 PM EDT

H82Diet wrote:

Thank you for your informative responses.  I understand all of this better.  Are either Nichiren Shoshu or Nichiren Shu largely active in the US?

I practice with Nichiren Shu (as does Engyo) - we're growing fairly rapidly at the moment, though we are still very spread out across the US.  I think Nichiren Shoshu is probably pretty active in the US as well.

why don't they reproduce the ones that Nichiren inscribed rather than someone elses?

Nichiren Shu does reproduce the ones Nichiren inscribed - I'm not that familiar with SGI or Nichiren Shoshu, though.

Flag Engyo August 25, 2008 9:09 PM EDT
[QUOTE=H82Diet;714576]Thank you for your informative responses.  I understand all of this better.  Are either Nichiren Shoshu or Nichiren Shu largely active in the US?  I found one of their websites...and read a very excellent book of theirs.
About the Gohonzon... why don't they reproduce the ones that Nichiren inscribed rather than someone elses?
Why do SGI members keep their Gohonzons hidden and not out in the open where guests to your house can see it and ask questions? 
Thanks![/QUOTE]Hi again, Lynn -

Nichiren Shoshu has 6 temples in the USA.  Nichiren Shu has at least 10 temples in continental North America; some of them have been in existence for almost 100 years, and some brand new ones are petitioning to join at this year's Convention of the Nichiren Order of North America.

Nichiren Shu does offer a replica of a Nichiren original gohonzon to it's members as one of the choices.  It's an exact replica, though, including discolorations, fold marks and fading.  Some prefer a new image, which is also available, but it's not a Nichiren replica.  Nichiren Shoshu issues Omandalas inscribed by their current High Priest.

I think the SGI penchant for keeping the Omandala inside a butsudan and the butsudan closed comes from Nichiren Shoshu, but I can't say for sure.  It's not a requirement within Nichiren Shu, although many people do have altars set up this way.  The choice of butsudan or not, and of open or closed if a butsudan is used are up to the believer.

Nichiren Shu also uses other forms of representing the Assembly in the Sky besides the letter mandala, although these are most often found in temples rather than in believers' homes.  They include statue arrangements from simple to complex, and often a combination of Omandala and statue(s).
Flag sgi_chris August 25, 2008 11:45 PM EDT

I keep mine closed because it shows that the Gohonzon is not a collectors item, and to me it is a symbol that even though the doors of our inner self are sometimes closed, the greater image of the Gohonzon is still inside. When people come into my home, and they inquire about my butsudan, I don't hesitate in opening it up and showing it to them. The word Gohonzon means object of devotion, or worship. That means that it is to be placed inside and closed up when not being used for daimoku or gonyo, it is a mandala, it's not a wall painting or a movie poster. Also, butsudan means Buddha house, so think of the Butsudan as a small shrine/house for the image of the Eternal Buddha.

Flag sgi_chris September 22, 2008 2:40 PM EDT
[QUOTE=sgi_chris;715110]I keep mine closed because it shows that the Gohonzon is not a collectors item, and to me it is a symbol that even though the doors of our inner self are sometimes closed, the greater image of the Gohonzon is still inside. When people come into my home, and they inquire about my butsudan, I don't hesitate in opening it up and showing it to them. The word Gohonzon means object of devotion, or worship. That means that it is to be placed inside and closed up when not being used for daimoku or gonyo, it is a mandala, it's not a wall painting or a movie poster. Also, butsudan means Buddha house, so think of the Butsudan as a small shrine/house for the image of the Eternal Buddha.[/QUOTE]

I also wanted to make clear that, as a Buddhist (universal) I have no enemies or I am not "vs" anyone accept my own inner ngeativity, my own fundamental darkness.
Flag angel_hunter January 3, 2009 7:38 PM EST
[QUOTE=H82Diet;706454]Hi,
Thank you!

Lynn
www.AlanSmallwood.com[/QUOTE]

Just with any perspective it will be different.  It is really childish, to me it's a embarrassment to Nichiren Buddhism.  Our main goal is world peace, we focus on these pity things.  The world is at war, people are dying and I once believe that Nichiren Buddhism will bring that calm day to this planet. I am studying out of the Nichiren Buddhist realm, but that for my personal desires.
Flag sgi_chris July 20, 2010 11:19 AM EDT

I do not believe that admonishing certain Buddhist schools, including Nichiren, is childish or an embarrassment. The Buddha created a social movement to bring all people to Unsurpassed Happiness in their lives, since his enlightenment was recorded he expounded a great number of similes and parables to try to get people to understand the Law. Centuries after his death, Shakyamuni's greater disciples failed to spread the teachings and continue the movement to bring happiness to all people. Instead, they shut themselves up in huts and pagodas worshiping statues and performing esoteric rituals. The image of Buddhism now is dramatically different from the joyous social movement of The Buddha's day in age. 

There is no magic power surrounding Nichiren Buddhism from becoming stagnant as this, and there are no sutras where the Buddha never admonished his student from practicing or believing in a false method to enlightenment. Rather, he preached in the Lotus Sutra, that if one were to see someone destroying the teachings (in actions, thought, or word) he should admonish him. Nan-Yueh states that if a practitioner sees someone destroying the teachings and fails to reproach or oust him as a destroyer of the Law, his mind will fall into hell along with the person destroying it. 

Priests, Rituals, and Esotericism is not what Buddhism's core is about, its central point is to bring happiness to all people. Some schools go so far as to say: "When I attain enlightenment for myself, all beings will be liberated." Buddhahood is not a place far removed from our minds, like Gods or anything such as that. We know as Buddhists that nothing outside of us will bring permanent happiness in our lives. Buddhahood has always been apart of us, as a Human Race, and it is an everyday path to being a better person, strengthening our faith in our Buddha-nature and the same in others, and wanting that happiness for all people. 

I don't agree with Nichiren Shu or Shoshu, but I don't need to go out a pick a fight with them. If they make a statement I know is not held by Nichiren or is stated to the opposite of Nichiren, it is my duty given by the Buddha to bring an alternative view to the table. The SGI has rightly spoken out against the things Nichiren Shu has done. The LS itself stated that I would receive all kinds of hatred in the Latter Day, and nowhere did it mention that it wouldn't come from other members of Nichiren Buddhism. The SGI was excommunicated, twice, and Daisaku the victim of constant empty threats and attacks on his life and credibility. 

Sometimes not being stern, when necessary, is the absolute opposite of being a potential Buddha. 

Flag Engyo July 21, 2010 7:11 AM EDT

Hi, Chris -

Personally I will follow Nichiren's admonition that followers of the Lotus Sutra should be the last to abuse each other.  I hope your practice, whatever form it takes, leads you closer to your own enlightenment.

Namaste, Engyo

Flag Mission July 29, 2010 9:19 AM EDT

Hi All,

I've just joined the Beliefnet site and found this thread very interesting! I just wanted to say for anyone who is interested that there is an excellent book titled, "The untold history of the Fuji School" which deals with the relationship between SGI and Nichiren Shoshu. It was issued by SGI-USA's study department through World Tribune Press: ISBN 0-915678-76-4.

Anyone reading it should get a clearer understanding of SGI's position with regard to it's former priesthood and I'd be delighted to hear what you all think.

If you've already come across this book, do let me know your thoughts. It offers the SGI perspective on the lineage and heritage of faith as handed down from the Daishonin to the 6 senior priests, on through Nikko Shonin and Nichimoku Shonin until the time of the subsequent decision by the Soka Gakkai to become a lay organisation. It may also offer some insight into the subtle, but deeply profound perspective of faith in the Daishonin's teachings as expounded by the SGI.

I think that although we may all practice many different forms of Buddhism, to engage in constructive and respectful dialogue about the similarities and differences between our various practices can only create supreme value and in the end will serve to illuminate the world of objective truth that is the true reality of life more brightly.

With deepest gratitude

Malcolm

Flag Engyo July 29, 2010 5:16 PM EDT

Hello, Malcom -

Respectfully, I personally no longer subscribe to the view of either Nichiren Shoshu or SGI regarding Nichiren's 6 senior disciples, and especially regarding Nikko as sole heir.  I believe I still have a couple of copies of the book you reference around the house, but there is a great deal of the history after Nichiren's passing I have become aware of that we were never taught when I was an NSA member or an SGI member.

If this subject interests you, you might check out this link:

www.nichirenscoffeehouse.net/Ryuei/SixDi...

but please understand that the information presented there does not come from SGI (or Nichiren Shoshu) sources.  Another good source of information on this topic would be the book "Fire in the Lotus" (ISBN-10: 1852740914 / ISBN-13: 978-1852740917), by Daniel Montgomery.  It is currently out of print, but Amazon lists 2 new and 7 used copies available.  Local used bookstores may also have copies, and larger libraries or library systems are also possibilities.

Namaste, Engyo

Flag Azmildman1 January 17, 2011 8:59 PM EST

Hi, I am new to this forum but I am an SGI member. Of course we of SGI know about Nichiren Shu. We hear about the "evil priesthood" from the pioneer members who brought Nichiren Buddhism from Japan on at least a weekly basis. The saying in A.A. is that you can form your own meeting and all you need is a resentment and a coffee pot. S.G.I. formed their own church on a resentment. This is what Shakyamuni (Siddhartha Gautama) said in the Dhammapada which is like "The sermon on the mount" of Buddhism.

"... All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"--in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"--in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.

For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

The world does not know that we must all come to an end here;--but those who know it, their quarrels cease at once. ..."

This is my question, "This happened in the forties. Isn't it time to get over it and move on?"

Flag Engyo January 18, 2011 7:16 AM EST

Jan 17, 2011 -- 8:59PM, Azmildman1 wrote:

This is my question, "This happened in the forties. Isn't it time to get over it and move on?"

Hello, AZM -

Respectfully, I think perhaps you are just a bit confused here, on two points. 

First, Nichiren Shu is very different from Nichiren Shoshu.  Nichiren Shoshu was SGI's religious partner from 1930 to 1991.  Nichiren Shu has never been affiliated with either one. 

Second, Nichiren Shu doesn't have any issues with SGI's existence whatsoever.  There are doctrinal differences, yes, but nobody from Nichiren Shu has a specific problem with SGI that I am aware of.  I'm not sure what you think happened in the forties that is supposed to be some sort of issue between SGI and Nichiren Shu.

Namaste, Engyo

Flag Azmildman1 January 18, 2011 11:28 AM EST

Engyo, 

Who said I was saying that Nichiren Shu was the one with the problem? Someone on this forum said that most SGI members probably didn't know Nichiren Shu existed. SGI is a LAY organization with NO PRIESTS and in all their literature they mention the evil priesthood. YOu must be mistaken if you read what I said and think you understood it. Priests are a NO NO in SGI because there are two many ways to be corrupted and they have a resentment against EVERYONE else over doctrinal differences and corrupt practices that existed at one time. I, as a Buddhist who began studying long before I found SGI, don't think of those as Buddhist behavior and that could never fall into the eightfold path of Right Action, Right Mindfulness, and even Right Livelihood. I am an SGI member because they are closest to me of what I see as modern Buddhism. The problem I have is that most of the members wouldn't know the basis of Buddhism if it bit them, because despite spewing the words, "Practice and Study with Faith", they don't seem to want to study anything except what Ikeda writes and even President Ikeda states that it is a shallow practice and wrong when people do that. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is about the first word. MYOHO = Devotion To. One cannot be devoted without looking at the principles or you don't know what you are devoted to. As votaries of the Lotus Sutra we need to understand that Bodhisattva Never Disparaging was another analogy for the idea that we never disrespect other Buddhists for they understand the principles and if not we are obligated to be an example and teach them how to find the answer. Ichantikas, and I hate to say it, but so many of them are present in all religions, will never get it. Somehow they are constitutionally incapable of understanding some basic principles. I think much of it has to do with Christian American Indoctrination since birth in America. Dependent Origination, Karma, and understanding of Impermanence should bring us closer together, not further apart over how someone chose to write about them. President Ikeda said, "Praise the message, not the man..." and still SGI members spend their Sunday With Sensai and complete deification of Nichiren and Ikeda. I have heard it said that they are the True Buddhas of the Latter Day when their own message is that those principles are against the teachings of Shakyamuni. He empowered us in the Lotus Sutra to become equal to each other, not separate. Those who view this as a Christian Like Practice need to be told that the Gohonzon is NOT a magic Santa Clause in a box, like so many people babble about. I want to scream when I hear one more foolish person scream out, "Take it to the Gohonzon!" I am grateful to have read the writings of Shin Yatomi in the book "Buddhism in a New Light" because he explains where this practice is supposed to take us, not where the members in America are trying to take it. Here is my opinion over doctrinal differences. You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own reality. When there are doctrinal differences, unless they are merely a matter of words that mean the same thing, then someone tried to change the meaning of the text to fit themselves. That is selfish and wrong and should be refuted. I hail from long ago so I turn to the original texts like the Dhammapada to find my answers because a lot of the message got misconstrued between India and Japan. Nichiren and Ikeda, no matter how exactly they tried to quote from ancient texts are completely reinterpreted and quoted wrong as if their message was their own - by the members, not them or the texts. People need to read the black part and quit trying to find their own answers in between the lines. There is NO Saint Nichiren. A Mandala is a Hindu tradition of painting some spiritual message in sand to be swept away when they finish. The Gohonzon is a mirror and those who don't see themselves in it missed the point. Juzu beads are not 108 beads, most sold by SGI are actually closer to 160, the 108 number comes from Mala Beads and just because they are considered prayer beads doesn't make them the same. I could go on for days. READ THE LESSON, don't make it up yourself, is my message.

Flag Engyo January 19, 2011 7:27 AM EST

Hi again, AZM -

I take your message, but perhaps you  missed mine.  It's great you want to make your own decisions, but please let me make mine as well.

Namaste, Engyo

Flag Seattlebuddhist November 20, 2012 3:05 PM EST

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJbqQP_0jMs

This video maybe helpful.  There are some important differences between Nichiren Shu, Nichiren Shoshu, and the SGI.  We made this four part series to attempt to educate people on some of the topics during their spiritual study.

With Gassho

Flag Buddhahess January 23, 2013 1:37 PM EST
In my opinion, sgi vs. nichiren shu doesnt exist. Im an african american male that went through baptist, islam, and Rastafarian beliefs. I have rested in the lotus sutra.POINT BLANK.... Woody from toys story could read me the lotus sutra or any dharma text and im listening. I love nichiren shu, he lead a life we wont forget, but to read his writings and me call him anything other than what he asked or even thought of himself is not my intention. He can be what he wants to you. He is my teachers-teachers-teacher and on- and-on. Im staying in the dharma
Flag Dhruvthukral June 15, 2014 6:40 AM EDT

Aug 21, 2008 -- 11:12AM, H82Diet wrote:

Hi, I am new to Nichiren Buddhism so I did not go through the breakup between SGI and Nichiren Shu. I've read about it a bit but only from the SGI perspective. At a community center meeting recently they made an announcement that we should chant for the Nichiren Shu to abandon their erroneous teachings. I am not clear on what this means. I recently read a Nichiren Shu publication and it was wonderful. Is their no chance of reconciliation between the two groups? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Lynn To listen to Nichiren Chanting music go to: www.AlanSmallwood.com

What is the difference between the two?

Flag Dhruvthukral June 15, 2014 6:41 AM EDT

i mean sgi and nichiren shu

Flag etoro June 20, 2014 12:48 AM EDT

I am an SGI member for a really long time so lets get that out the way.  I also dont really want to get drawn into any war of words of religious sects. So I will be simple.  The division between SGI and Nichiren Shu is actually quite irrelevant. What is important is that you start chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and see what the practice will do for your life.  I suppose you can either practice with NIchiren Shu or SGI or any other of the Nichiren subsects. Eventually common sense and the wisdom that comes from practice will guide you in the appropriate direction; the direction which continues to bring you more good fortune and benefit in your life.  You will also come to understand what the true meaning of good fortune and benefit actually means in the depth of your life.

That is all I wish to ad to this question. 

PS:  of course I would recommend that you start with us in the SGI. But that is totally up to you.  

Flag Jupiter6208 May 28, 2015 1:01 PM EDT

Nichiren Shu would be the one i'd go with if i were to follow Nichiren Buddisim. it seems more true and authentic to me just my opinion.   I would practice but there's none around me just SGI. But that being said I think SGI would be a good starting point just don't get caught up in all that Ikeda BS.

Flag etoro August 13, 2015 7:44 AM EDT

IKeda BS?  I my view there is no way the SGI could be true and correct if the relationship between the actual leader of the movement and the membership that follows is BS.   I grant you all that it is a complex issue especially in light of the workings and functions of the human ego at work in all human beings. Mastering the mind, learning of both its dualistic and non-dualistic aspects is the work that must be undertaken. BUt Nichiren Daishonin provided us all human beings with the most excellent tool for performing the work throughout this lifetime.  You dont have to believe me, just study his writings thoroughly and follow his prescription throughout your life and then of course read, study and analyze the Lotus Sutra. Everything, and especially the principle of the mentor -disciple relationshsip and its oneness will naturally become clear in your mind as you over come self doubt and delusions. The philosphy of the Lotus Sutra reveals nothing other than the process of awakening to the oneness of the mentor - disciple relationship.  And since this is in fact the case if this principle were to remain dormant within the practicing community of the Soka Gakkai International, then how could we possibly manifest a profound unity of purpose and remain that way over the course of time and ever endeavor to manfest the goal of the Lotus Sutra's practice.  The practice and the movement would then be a total loss and would not even exist in the world. But this could never happen.

I will explain why in the next post.

Best

Flag etoro August 13, 2015 7:54 AM EDT

NIchiren states,

I, Nichiren, am the richest man in all of present-day Japan. I have dedicated my life to the Lotus Sutra, and my name will be handed down in ages to come. If one is lord of the great ocean, then all the gods of the various rivers will obey one. If one is king of Mount Sumeru, then the gods of the various other mountains cannot help but serve one. If a person fulfills the teaching of “the six difficult and nine easy acts” of the Lotus Sutra, then, even though he may not have read the entire body of sutras, all should follow him.

This statement of Nichiren's written 800 years ago has come true exactly as he could percieve on the basis of the functions of the mystic law of cause anbd effect.  

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook