6 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 8:50PM #1
bvarnell
So i am a Christian (a Liberal Christian) but I have great respect for and am very interested in Buddhism in general and Tibetan Buddhism in particular. My question is for Converts to Tibetan Buddhism:
1. Why did you choose buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism in particular? What attracted you to it?
2. What books, websites helped you?

Thanks alot!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 8:50PM #2
bvarnell
So i am a Christian (a Liberal Christian) but I have great respect for and am very interested in Buddhism in general and Tibetan Buddhism in particular. My question is for Converts to Tibetan Buddhism:
1. Why did you choose buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism in particular? What attracted you to it?

Thanks alot!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 10:31AM #3
bddh
I will chime in on this one.
I can remember when I got into Buddhism in general, as I was studying paganism, and in particular, wicca.  I attended an SGI meeting and decided that my path would go to that.  After I had been immersed in such, I got curious about the other sects of Buddhism and started to read and investigate them.  What I found that I liked about the entire belief was that unlike alot of the Judaic religions, the spirits of those who follow are lifted up.  Consider this, and do this with an open mind, if you go to most churches, the concepts of death is always heavy and paying for the sins of the father or your ancestors is always there.  I got tired of hearing that if you did nothing wrong, you would go to hell.  Now if I am living a good life, and am doing nothing wrong, why the guilt or the negative feelings?  I decided Christianity is not for me or the correct path and so I went looking for answers, beyond the bible.  Yes I did look at wicca and learned alot, but when I did come to buddhism, I found it fit with what I was comfortable with and that the aspects was not on death or the afterlife, rather on living and the aspects of achieving enlightenment.  I got lucky when I moved to a new city to encounter several Tibetian Buddhist monks and started to study and still do.  The Internet is a good resource for such as you can read the sutras and suttas that are out there, most translated and if you are fortunate, can meet monks or those who do practice.
Hope this helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2008 - 5:09PM #4
Earthmomma72
1. Why did you choose buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism in particular? What attracted you to it? --- I'm attracted to Buddhism because it is not dogmatic. The Buddha taught his way and then said not to believe it just because he said it, but to make sure it works for you (bad paraphrasing!).  The first books I picked up just happened to be Tibetan Buddhist and then, once I started reading about the Dalai Lama and listening to him speak, I was hooked. I still study Zen BUddhism and some other schools as well, but Tibetan is my main interest.

2. What books, websites helped you? ---Books by the Dalai Lama, Lama Surya Das, Thich Nhat Hahn, Pema Chodron, Geraldine Larkin and Sharon Salzberg were helpful to me.

Websites: http://www.buddhanet.net/
http://www.shambhala.org/
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 3:03PM #5
fisi
**1. Why did you choose buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism in particular? What attracted you to it?

Buddhism offered a practical solution and something to do about my current situation as a teenager and a young adult. I have never really treated Buddhism as a religion, but solely as a practice in the beginning to transform my situations into something positive through my perception.

In comparison to other religions, I found Buddhism gave me something 'to do' about my situations, and offered me methods to change. Change in your world starts with you in other words. This was my initial interest and reasoning for practicing Buddhism.

Tibetan Buddhism because although it it ornate and seems confusing, my mind responds well to symbolism (and there is plenty of it in Tibetan Buddhism!!). Which is found in many of the meditation practices in Tibetan Buddhism.

**2. What books, websites helped you?
There are ALOT of great books on Buddhism out there. Not just on Buddhism, but practical solutions to deal with your mind and your world, that just happened to be written by Buddhists. I personally find the translations from the words from the Buddha's mouth, such as, "The Dhammapada" to suffice or get a feel of what Buddhism is without the confusion.

For Tibetan Buddhism information as it can be confusing for some, khandro.net really offers detailed and clearness to some of the paradoxes of Tibetan Buddhism.

Take Care :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2009 - 7:12PM #6
spiralknot

1. Why did you choose buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism in particular? What attracted you to it?  Hmm...how about this:  Buddhism is non-dogmatic; it's history is not marred with crusades, inquisitions, etc; is practical (doing vs. faith).  I'm attracted to Tibetan Buddhism b/c of it's symbolism, it's stress on bodhicitta (enlightenment for all sentient beings), and it's rather syncretic borrowings of the other 'vehicles' of Buddhism..

For someone who is wanting to learn about Buddhism, I'd say:  Buddha by Karen Armstrong and The Buddhist Handbook by John Snelling.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook