Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gate, Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bohdi Satva
9 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 6:39PM #1
Bearsky
This mantra that concludes the Heart Sutra is said in the sutra to be the most powerful mantra there is. It along with the rest of the Heart Sutra is chanted by most Buddhists around the world.   Does anyone's practice include the repetition of this mantra during meditation?  Thanks, Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 6:39PM #2
Bearsky
This mantra that concludes the Heart Sutra is said in the sutra to be the most powerful mantra there is. It along with the rest of the Heart Sutra is chanted by most Buddhists around the world.   Does anyone's practice include the repetition of this mantra during meditation?  Thanks, Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2008 - 5:32PM #3
Bearsky
Depending on your translation or tradition the part of the Heart Sutra relevant here says (more or less):

Therefore know that Prajna Paramita
is the great transcendent mantra,
is the great bright mantra,
is the utmost mantra,
is the supreme mantra
which is able to relieve all suffering
and is true, not false.
So proclaim the Prajna Paramita mantra,
proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

This would appear to be the highest of praise and the strongest of recommendations in the most venerated of Buddhist texts to actually use this mantra in meditation in order to enter into the heart of the Buddhist experience, and yet...  And yet few today seem to practice this mantra other than when they are chanting the Heart Suta and this is because....
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2008 - 7:19PM #4
RenGalskap
Buddhist meditation usually involves sitting quietly. Aside from a very small number of Zen students who are working on "mu", I don't know of any cases where meditating and vocalizing are combined.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2008 - 7:27PM #5
Bearsky
Hi!  Long time no talk!  I agree with your statement and yet in light of the "reverence'  (bad choice of words but...) in which the Heart Sutra is held by many schools of Buddhism, what then is the meaning of:

"So proclaim the Prajna Paramita mantra,
proclaim the mantra which says: "

Respectfully asked by my foolish mind,  Dennis

PS Perhaps also worth mentioning that "OM Mani  Padme Huang" is extensively used by the Tibetian folks
'
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2008 - 7:19PM #6
RenGalskap
Buddhist meditation usually involves sitting quietly. Aside from a very small number of Zen students who are working on "mu", I don't know of any cases where meditating and vocalizing are combined.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2008 - 7:27PM #7
Bearsky
Hi!  Long time no talk!  I agree with your statement and yet in light of the "reverence'  (bad choice of words but...) in which the Heart Sutra is held by many schools of Buddhism, what then is the meaning of:

"So proclaim the Prajna Paramita mantra,
proclaim the mantra which says: "

Respectfully asked by my foolish mind,  Dennis

PS Perhaps also worth mentioning that "OM Mani  Padme Huang" is extensively used by the Tibetian folks
'
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 12:37AM #8
RenGalskap
In Zen monasteries, the Heart Sutra is recited frequently. The fact that Buddhist consider chanting and meditation to be two seperate things doesn't mean that they don't chant the Heart Sutra. They just don't chant it when they meditate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 9:37AM #9
Bearsky
Hi!  Certainly what you say is true of Zen, at least in the many years I practiced it in the temple, however Zen is not all of Buddhism and most other forms do use various mantras.  In the end perhaps if form is no other than emptiness then it follows that emptiness is no other than form and whether we shed our skin in silence or sound...   Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2008 - 11:31AM #10
bezen
At the dharma center where I practice with others, in the evening practice we chant for 30 minutes. We chant the Heart Sutra one time in Korean and then again in English, which is very beautiful.

But when we meditate, we do so in complete silence. There is no chanting. There is no mantra.

According to "The Compass of Zen," page 138, the meaning of:

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha

Is:

"Gone, gone, gone to the other shore beyond."

(This always makes me think of the raft, which we are instructed to drop once it has carried us to the other side of the river.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook