Switch to Forum Live View Mantra Meditation in Buddhism
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 4:53PM #1
Bearsky
Seemingly unrecognized by even many Buddhists, mantra meditation is a common and accepted practice not only in Hinduism but in a number of Buddhist schools.  Various Tibetian Schools and teachers count mantra meditation among their practices as do Pure Land Sects, Shingon and other Esoteric Buddhist schools in Japan and SE Asia, and the Nichiren school.  Even the various schools of Zen Buddhism with their emphasis on silent sitting still practice many of the same Buddhist mantras during chanting, which I would argue is itself a form of meditation.

For what its worth mantra meditation has long held a position of respect among many who call themselves Buddhists.  I have found it to be of great worth in the liberation of my foolish mind/heart.  I recommend if you're interested you consider visiting sites such as www.wildmind.org which focus on various forms of Buddhist mantra meditation and/or just google 'Buddhist mantra meditation.'  Respectfully, Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2009 - 4:20AM #2
Bhakta_glenn

Aug 2, 2008 -- 4:53PM, Bearsky wrote:

Seemingly unrecognized by even many Buddhists, mantra meditation is a common and accepted practice not only in Hinduism but in a number of Buddhist schools.  Various Tibetian Schools and teachers count mantra meditation among their practices as do Pure Land Sects, Shingon and other Esoteric Buddhist schools in Japan and SE Asia, and the Nichiren school.  Even the various schools of Zen Buddhism with their emphasis on silent sitting still practice many of the same Buddhist mantras during chanting, which I would argue is itself a form of meditation.  For what its worth mantra meditation has long held a position of respect among many who call themselves Buddhists.  I have found it to be of great worth in the liberation of my foolish mind/heart.  I recommend if you're interested you consider visiting sites such as www.wildmind.org which focus on various forms of Buddhist mantra meditation and/or just google 'Buddhist mantra meditation.'  Respectfully, Dennis

My own experience with Mantra recitation is that the mantras produce results very quickly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2009 - 11:16PM #3
nnn123

Yes, I agree, mantra meditation is very helpful.

Especially in some particular situations.

When meditation is difficult...often easier to access mantra practice.  Not as a replacement to meditation, but as getting "some spiritual food."  If we can't eat the best "spiritual meal" it is said that it is best to "eat" something.

Also, very good when concentration is ebbing.

Very good as a warm-up to meditation.

And, very good to protect oneself from disturbing vibrations.  Even on a NYC subway car, if you silently chant, it can often dispel a lot of the negative energy.

gassho,

Jon

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 11:07AM #4
groovist

I believe meditation can be much more powerful.  When we all meditate, pray, sing, dance, & drum with The One, it will be epiphanous!!   www.groovism.net provides The One pulse for all to be with!!  Nothing to buy or join.... just be with us!!

Groove On

Ken Elkind

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 12:25PM #5
essential

"Mantra meditation" does not have to be chanting out loud or forced repetition of the thought of the mantra. An effective use of the mantra in silent sitting meditation is to use it easily and effortlessly, allowing it to quiet the mind-body, by drawing the attention to the deeper, subtler levels of thinking-feeling. We find that the surface level of the mind is like waves upon the ocean. The mantra naturally draws the awareness into the deeper, quieter levels of consciousness, to the Absolute silence of Pure Consciousness; no mantra, no thoughts. The mantra is a tool or vehicle to the infinite in meditation. Whenever you find yourself in thoughts, simply bring your attention back to the mantra, without judgement or force. This trains the mind to be awake and aware in the deeper, transcendent levels of the mind-body (the infinite "source of all that is"). After some weeks, months, or years, you become aware of this transcendent aspect, this "silent witness" of all mental and physical activity even in the midst of other activity; even when your mind-body is in deep sleep. This is enlightenment. 

The side effect is that the mind is gently trained to be able to shift its attention from one thought to another, at will. Mindfulness meditation becomes easy. Mindfulness in life also becomes easy. Pure Consciousness is no longer lost to the experience of other thoughts or things.

Bliss be with you,

Essential Self

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 4:04AM #6
Bhakta_glenn

Mantra Yoga is practised in Vajrayana Buddhism. Strictly speaking, one should only practice Buddhist Mantra Yoga under the supervision of a Qualified Guru.

But: Om Mani Padma Hum is a Sanskrit Buddhist Mantra that is safe for anyone to recite with or without a Guru. The Mantra is also used in Tibetan Vajrayana Buddhism.

http://dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meaning-of-om-mani-padme-hung.htm

Both the Sanskrit form and the Tibetan form of the Mantra are given.

According to this website, all of the 84,000 Teachings of the Buddha are contained in this six syllable Mantra.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 11:38AM #7
WorstHorse

I've just recently(in the last  two & half months) started seriously

meditating-twice a day- and I find that chanting a purification mantra

before the meditation really helps me pacify my"foolish heart/mind"

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement