2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 12:08PM #1
Tzuriel

I have been warned by each of my attorney and engineer sons that this is a bad idea.  But the fact is I am an old guy (though in my mind I think I am 21)  ... my wife of many years has gone on to the World To Come.  I ask for no sympathy, but I am a bit lonely.  I have always enjoyed conversation.  Not looking for anything other than good interaction with good people. 

Feel free to call me at 423.331.7443.  Or maybe, I haven't quite figured it out yet, but maybe Yahoo Messsenger (TzurielBenami@yahoo.com) - not sure I know how to use it yet.  But I can learn.

I am not the smartest man in the world ... but I think I am not an idiot.  I have been told that social media is a way to converse and keep your mind sharp.  Maybe.  I don't know.  I do know that the town where I currently live  is brain dead.  I guess it works for them.

Tzuriel Benami ben Tzuriel v'Yudith
(ID Ariel_bty)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 11:46PM #2
Cathyy

You included your email addess in your message. It is generally considered to be a Bad Idea to do that; there are little Internet robots that harvest those addresses and sell them. You should expect all kinds of too good to be true offers for prescription drugs, Nigerian royalty needing assistance in laundering enormous sums of money, and nubile young women wearing little clothing who think you ought to pay to watch them on their webcams. With luck your spam filter will catch it all.

Might I suggest you get a Facebook page and begin using a chat client like Yahoo messenger? At Facebook you can "friend" people you know, people you worked with 35 years ago, people you went to school with. It is best to begin with people you know, or knew, in Real Life. As you begin to feel more comfortable in this digital jungle you can risk a few friendships with people you only know online, like the friend of a friend. Not completely unknown quantities, like, say, me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 9:17AM #3
Ariel_bty

I know there is no such thing as privacy on the internet.  Your input is sincerely appreciated.  I will figure this cyberstuff out at some point.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 10:02AM #4
Pam34

you can send direct emails to people here also, from your 'home page'. Just pick somebody you 'know' on here and send one - or go to THERE home page and post something (just so you know, I don't visit my own home page very often!) or click on the 'send a message' on their page and send an email - we get (usually, if we have it set up that way) an email at home telling us there is a message on b'net....

In other words, there are ways and then there are ways, to get in 'personal touch' over the internet and be fairly sure who  you are dealing with.

I've been here for about 20 years (internet - and on b'net from almost year one) and I've made two or three 'personal friends' via b'net, who share their personal emails and I'm a facebook friend with at least one of them. (Facebook shares PLENTY unless you are super careful - so enlist a teenager and learn your way around!)

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:14AM #5
Ariel_bty

Jun 27, 2012 -- 10:02AM, Pam34 wrote:

you can send direct emails to people here also, from your 'home page'. Just pick somebody you 'know' on here and send one - or go to THERE home page and post something (just so you know, I don't visit my own home page very often!) or click on the 'send a message' on their page and send an email - we get (usually, if we have it set up that way) an email at home telling us there is a message on b'net....

In other words, there are ways and then there are ways, to get in 'personal touch' over the internet and be fairly sure who  you are dealing with.

I've been here for about 20 years (internet - and on b'net from almost year one) and I've made two or three 'personal friends' via b'net, who share their personal emails and I'm a facebook friend with at least one of them. (Facebook shares PLENTY unless you are super careful - so enlist a teenager and learn your way around!)

Thank you, PAM34.  I appreciate your input.  I asked for such ... I did not ask for advice - and clearly you did not embrace the original post.  You are no doubt attempting to be kind.  Much appreciated.  But your comments are offensive to me.

I have no clue what b'net is unless it is an internet appreviation. - perhaps I can guess at it.  The beauty of the language I grew up with is that we did not have to guess.  I grew up in a world that only the military used abbreviations.  Sorry, my generation, my age ... I suppose.

We didn't even abbreviate States when I was a boy.

Language evolves, I understand that. 

Bottom - line ... I was lookimg for input ... not advice.

School your children - not me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:34AM #6
Pam34

B'net is Beliefnet. It is a common abbreviation. And on the internet, you admit you are a 'youngster' and as such, you are a 'child', and instruction is appropriate.

I did, in fact, intend to be 'kind'. Kindly accept that as meant. If my words came across to you as demeaning, please forgive me. That was not intended.

If you prefer 'full words' written out, you will find some difficulties navigating the internet, because acronyms and abbreviations are the rule, not the exception. There are resources for translating common internet acronyms, such as ttyl, lol, afaik, and other expressions.

There is also a growing vocabulary of internet-specific terms, such as url, ping, and pm.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:58AM #7
Ariel_bty

I am done with this Forum.  With only a few exceptions, most are jerks here.  I am becoming one myself as a result - not acceptable..  One other poster mentioned kavannah.  I choose to hold on to that.

If you want to pontificate ... go to a Catholic site.

I wish for each of you that God's Face shine upone you and that you each have the best day of your life.

I am done ... you get no more of me - not that it was life changing to begin with ... I hoped to have something to offer.  I have lost nothing from being here and have gained some.  I just don't understand you.

Perhaps I can leave you with nothing ... but consider this -

There is a huge difference between debate and discussion.

Tzuriel Benami ben Tzuriel v'Yudith

(ID ariel_bty)

The English translation of Tzuriel is "God is my rock"  - the English translation of Benami is "son of my people."  The English translation of Ariel is "God is my lion"

My parents have named me as they did.  I have no choice but to live up to it.

By tradition they also gave me a name according to the culture I lived in.  I was known by that in secular school and in my professional life.  That name is Douglas Fisher.

If you are concerned to be known by your own name ... I can have no identification with that.

Do you really think your name does not matter?  Whether in the school yard or on the internet?  Do you really think that?

Your name defines you as much as your personality does.

I do not pretend to know why.  But I have witnessed it.

Are you not aware that every Hebrew name has a definitional meaning to it.  Are you not aware that there is a Ashkenazi and Sephardic (Jewish universal) tradition of going through a Jewish traditional "name changing ceremony" for a terminally ill child with the faith it will change the child's destiny?

Does it work?  Heck, I don't know.  But it is worth a shot to save a child.

I don't know God anymore than you do.

But I do know this.  I have seen it happen.

Sounds silly ... I know ... I don't buy into this metaphysical, mystical stuff.  But my granddaughter ... my baby boy's baby girl went into a high fever - very high 104+.  The Master of The Universe allowed me to be there at the time.

She was mad as heck but I kept her in cold water.  She is fine today.  I can't say the same for my older brother's son.  His son is a good kid.  But he clearly is not as sharp as his cousins.  I told my brother to "get his temprerature down."  He didn't understand.

I am not a "healer" - from my perspective it is common sense.  But then ... common sense isn't so common.  But then again, I was trained for several years as a first aid responder.

I ramble, I have much to say.

I leave with this ... I don't give a darn if someone is Christian, Muslim, or some other flavor of the worldly flavor of the day.  JUDAISM will never let you down.  But there is no need to be a Jew to have a right relationship with God.

I rant, angry ... I suppose.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 1:14AM #8
Ariel_bty

Jun 28, 2012 -- 12:34AM, Pam34 wrote:

B'net is Beliefnet. It is a common abbreviation. And on the internet, you admit you are a 'youngster' and as such, you are a 'child', and instruction is appropriate.

I did, in fact, intend to be 'kind'. Kindly accept that as meant. If my words came across to you as demeaning, please forgive me. That was not intended.

If you prefer 'full words' written out, you will find some difficulties navigating the internet, because acronyms and abbreviations are the rule, not the exception. There are resources for translating common internet acronyms, such as ttyl, lol, afaik, and other expressions.

There is also a growing vocabulary of internet-specific terms, such as url, ping, and pm.

Fair enough.  I wish you well.  I appreciate you are trying to help me navigate and understand this world.  But it is not where I seem to belong.  You were kind to me.  And that will not be forgotten.  I believe we are perhaps of the same heart ... but we are of a different time and culture.  It is OK with my soul. May it be so with yours.

My God's Face shine upon you.

Will you allow me to change my mind later and ask for your input?  If that should happen.  Right now ... I see no reason to be here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2012 - 10:52PM #9
Cathyy

I sent you a private message, Tzuriel, to your inbox here at Beliefnet.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook