Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View How do I tell people I'm Jewish
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 3:19PM #1
Son_of_the_commandment
I converted about 3 weeks ago, and was at first very confident but now am afraid to tell people I'm Jewish because this Jewish lady has been stalking me online and telling everyone that I'm not a real Jew and all these people are giving condescending remarks towards me, telling me that my religion has no value and that my beliefs are worthless...

I blocked six of her e-mail accounts and she keeps creating new ones to stalk me and tell people that I'm not a real Jew and that they shouldn't answer any questions that I may have about the religion. I am afraid that she will turn everybody against me and then nobody will be willing to help me learn about the Jewish religion. 

I really believe the Lord wants me to tell people I'm Jewish but I don't have the confidence to do that anymore, because people keep telling me I'm not a real Jew. 

Where do I find confidence in myself to tell others that I'm a Jew?  
"The Lord will make you the head and not the tail. You will be above and not beneath."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2011 - 6:07PM #2
ffb

there is no reason to advertise. go to synagogue and participate. go to social events within the community. speak with the communal rabbi about any fears and he should smooth the way. but you don't need to walk up to people and introduce yourself as a jew.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 8:15PM #3
Bunsinspace

Jul 21, 2011 -- 3:19PM, Son_of_the_commandment wrote:

I converted about 3 weeks ago, and was at first very confident but now am afraid to tell people I'm Jewish because this Jewish lady has been stalking me online and telling everyone that I'm not a real Jew and all these people are giving condescending remarks towards me, telling me that my religion has no value and that my beliefs are worthless...

BS"D

I agree with FFB, there is no need to advertise and those who are Jewish who are denouncing your identity should be educated in manners and basic Judaism.  A convert is given the highest pedigree among the Jewish people (Son of Abraham or Daughter of Sarah) in order to dissuage such evil nonsense.

The Jewish people acknowledge their identity and their identification with the divine by reciting the kria shma - that is several times daily as well as during significant events according to our traditions as a people.  There is no need to advertise because Judaism is NOT a religion of advertising but of ACTION.  If you want to REALLY advertise to the world you are a Jew all you need to do is what other Jews do - the mitzvos.  The actions speak for themselves as they have for several thousand years and still do today. 

Doing the mitzvos is the Jewish way of demonstrating your identity.  If you are compelled to advertise your Jewishness then do as your G-d has commanded you to do and the world will know that fact for certain beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 6:24AM #4
river8101

Well, I don't know why you feel the need to tell everybody your Jewish.  I was born and raised Jewish, but don't feel the need to talk about it on line, unless I'm on a Jewish forum and express my opinion about whatever they're arguing or talking about.   I post on my Timeline mostly, but we don't post much about religion over there, at least the people I talk to.  There are a lot of nasty remarks about religion & politics on News Feed but plenty of people talk about other subjects too, and defend Judaism.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2011 - 10:48AM #5
river8101

PS  If I were you, I'd write to wherever you've been posting, and tell them you're being harrased and you want to change your name and password.  Also tell them the names of the person who is harrasing you and all their email addresses and anything else about that person.  Also not answering may help.  I have found the best way to get a nut to leave you alone is to ignore them. 

If all that doesn't work, leave the forum and find another place to exchange your ideas or don't exchange them on the internet anymore. 

I'd like to know what forums your posting on, because I've posted on all the Jewish forums for over 10 years, and I never heard anyone on a Jewish forum write that a convert to Judaism, wasn't really Jewish, so I'm not sure I believe your story.  Oh, wait.  Once, many years ago, a poster from the Muslim forum named Nadja, did that to me, insisting that I wasn't really Jewish.  She was a pest and was eventually deleted.   On the other hand, if your telling this story on a Christian forum, or changing your name all the time, or telling people you still believe or think you believe in Jesus, you probably will get some harrasment.   Some phony converts do that.  It's simple anti-Semitic word play, the poster isn't really a convert, and they do it for fun.

PS One more thing.  On your Profile, you don't define yourself as Jewish, you say you like some things about Judaism.  You talk about Judaism a little and you say you're thinking of converting, but you haven't said you actually went through a conversion.  You said you were Reform.  Well some orthodox Jews don't believe in Reform conversions, but that's their problem. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2014 - 7:54AM #6
river8101

It's true, that you identify yourself as a Reform Jew, but other things in your above posts seem to tell us that you don't understand what it means to be a Reform Jew.  There are several different followings of Jews. They are in no way followers of Christianity, or the New Testament. 

Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstuctionist, Humanistic, Cultural.  The first three are probably three of the larger groups of Jews, but there are others as well, and some identify themselves in more than one group. If you are not sure or have not been "legally" converted by a rabbi, then many Jews would not identify you as Jewish. Most all rabbis would not legally convert you if you haven't studied with another recommended Jewish teacher of Judaism.

There is no singular Jewish culture or ethnicity to claim as a Jewish Culture. This is because there are Jews of many different cultures; distinctly Jewish in their religious observances, but their cultural practices were influenced by the country in which the practices arose. For example, there are differences in the culture of Jews in Ashkenazi, or Eastern European communities from those in Sephardi, or Spanish influenced Jewish communities, but both Ashkenazi and Sephardi are Jewish cultures. In studying Jewish culture, the Jewish languages often give a clue as to the source of the culture influencing the different Jewish customs arising in the Diaspora. (family of Jews)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2014 - 1:40PM #7
river8101

this is a test post

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook