Switch to Forum Live View What does the kabbala say about each of these body parts
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 10:42PM #1
Son_of_the_commandment
What does the kabbala, mystic, or bhuddist writings say about each of these 12 body parts?

The crown of the head (the hair)
the forehead
the eyes
the nose
the mouth (inside) 
the lips (outside) 
the neck
the 2 collar bones
the chest
the heart
the belly
the kidneys

Is there any place where I can research the metaphysical, spiritual, symbolic, functional, or psychological propensities and dominions of these 12 physical elements of a person  

Also do you know any books, links or writings that would discuss these 12 body parts in detail?  
"The Lord will make you the head and not the tail. You will be above and not beneath."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 1:24AM #2
Pam34

That was interesting - oh well -(had some funny things happen to the post)

yes, the Kabbalah depicts the 'emanations' from God as traveling through various 'shells' or 'levels' on the way to us. These are sometimes depicted as a tree, sometimes as a man. The levels (not really 'levels' - oh well, defining mystical things is hard with words - anyway) are ten in number, called the Sephirot (manifestations?  enumerations? spheres?)

According to Lurianic cosmology, the Sephirot of Kabbalah corresponds to various levels of creation (there are ten sephirot in  each of the Four Worlds, and there are four worlds within each of the  larger four worlds, each of which contains ten sephirot, which  themselves contain ten sephirot, equal to an infinite number of  possibilities, and there are emanated from the Creator for the only  purpose of creating the universe. The Sephirot are sometimes considered  revelations of the Creator’s will and they should not be understood as  the ten different “gods” but as the ten different ways that one God  reveals his will through Emanations. It is not God who changes but is  the ability to perceive God which changes.

Sephirot of Kabbalah are arranged into 3 columns, with 22 Paths of  Connection of three types. As a summary 11 sephirot are named. At any  case Keter and Daat are unconscious and conscious dimensions of only one  principle, conserving 10 forces. The names of Sephirot in descending  order are, Keter (the supernal crown, representing above-conscious  will). The second is Chochmah (The highest potential of thought). 3rd is  Binah (the understanding of the potential). 4th is Daat (intellect of  knowledge). 5th is Chesed (sometimes referred to as Gedolah-greatness)  (loving-kindness). 6th is Gevurah (severity/strength). 7. Rachamim also  known as Tiphereth (Mercy). 8th is Netzach (victory/eternity). 9th Hod  (glory/splendour). 10th Yesod (foundation). 11th  Malkuth (kingdom).

www.sra-i-assure.com/tag/kabbalah

There are MANY ways to depict/arrange or discover relationships withing the Sephirot - ONE of those ways is a man-metaphor (or human) - when you use that particular metaphor, the relationships are like this:

Sephirah: Organ:
Keter-Crown Skull
Encompassing crown
Da'at elyon
Chochmah-Wisdom Right brain
Brain
Binah-Understanding Left brain
Heart
Da'at-Knowledge Central brain
Da'at tachton
Chesed-Kindness Right arm
10 fingers included
Gevurah-Severity Left arm
10 fingers included
Tiferet-Beauty Torso
Front Pnimiut-Internality
Back Hitzoniut-Externality
Netzach-Victory Right leg
10 toes included
Right kidney
Hod-Glory Left leg
10 toes included
Left kidney
Yesod-Foundation Sexual organ
Holy covenant
Male and female partzufim
Malkuth-Kingship Mouth
Speech-revelation
Feet

(wikipedia)

But plenty of other metaphors for the sephirot exist, including trees, circles, arrangements of spheres that look rather like a model of a molecule....

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 1:39AM #3
Son_of_the_commandment

Jul 9, 2011 -- 1:24AM, Pam34 wrote:

That was interesting - oh well -(had some funny things happen to the post)

yes, the Kabbalah depicts the 'emanations' from God as traveling through various 'shells' or 'levels' on the way to us. These are sometimes depicted as a tree, sometimes as a man. The levels (not really 'levels' - oh well, defining mystical things is hard with words - anyway) are ten in number, called the Sephirot (manifestations?  enumerations? spheres?)

According to Lurianic cosmology, the Sephirot of Kabbalah corresponds to various levels of creation (there are ten sephirot in  each of the Four Worlds, and there are four worlds within each of the  larger four worlds, each of which contains ten sephirot, which  themselves contain ten sephirot, equal to an infinite number of  possibilities, and there are emanated from the Creator for the only  purpose of creating the universe. The Sephirot are sometimes considered  revelations of the Creator’s will and they should not be understood as  the ten different “gods” but as the ten different ways that one God  reveals his will through Emanations. It is not God who changes but is  the ability to perceive God which changes.

Sephirot of Kabbalah are arranged into 3 columns, with 22 Paths of  Connection of three types. As a summary 11 sephirot are named. At any  case Keter and Daat are unconscious and conscious dimensions of only one  principle, conserving 10 forces. The names of Sephirot in descending  order are, Keter (the supernal crown, representing above-conscious  will). The second is Chochmah (The highest potential of thought). 3rd is  Binah (the understanding of the potential). 4th is Daat (intellect of  knowledge). 5th is Chesed (sometimes referred to as Gedolah-greatness)  (loving-kindness). 6th is Gevurah (severity/strength). 7. Rachamim also  known as Tiphereth (Mercy). 8th is Netzach (victory/eternity). 9th Hod  (glory/splendour). 10th Yesod (foundation). 11th  Malkuth (kingdom).

www.sra-i-assure.com/tag/kabbalah

There are MANY ways to depict/arrange or discover relationships withing the Sephirot - ONE of those ways is a man-metaphor (or human) - when you use that particular metaphor, the relationships are like this:

Sephirah: Organ:
Keter-Crown Skull
Encompassing crown
Da'at elyon
Chochmah-Wisdom Right brain
Brain
Binah-Understanding Left brain
Heart
Da'at-Knowledge Central brain
Da'at tachton
Chesed-Kindness Right arm
10 fingers included
Gevurah-Severity Left arm
10 fingers included
Tiferet-Beauty Torso
Front Pnimiut-Internality
Back Hitzoniut-Externality
Netzach-Victory Right leg
10 toes included
Right kidney
Hod-Glory Left leg
10 toes included
Left kidney
Yesod-Foundation Sexual organ
Holy covenant
Male and female partzufim
Malkuth-Kingship Mouth
Speech-revelation
Feet

(wikipedia)

But plenty of other metaphors for the sephirot exist, including trees, circles, arrangements of spheres that look rather like a model of a molecule....

Wow!!! Somebody told me you have to be 40 to learn Kabbala now I can understand why... I never knew it was so deep and complex... How much time is needed to understand it all? 

"The Lord will make you the head and not the tail. You will be above and not beneath."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 11:23AM #4
Pam34

Any form of mysticism of any faith is going to be 'esoteric' and full of metaphors, because you can't truly describe mystical matters in concrete words (without sounding strange). Read, for instance, Ezekiel's account of his visit to heaven - it is chock full of 'like' this and 'like' that and 'of the seeming of's. Bottom line - these experiences are so uniquely personal that they are INDESCRIBABLE to others.

A major school of Jewish mysticism is called 'merkavah' (chariot) and it is directly related to Ezekiel's account - students of merkavah mysticism meditate and dwell on the chariot as a metaphor for conveyence/travel between the earthly world and the heavenly realm - which are not, of course, PLACES.

The reason people were/are supposed to be 'forty' (and married with children) is because only well grounded people should be attempting that kind of 'out of body' type mental gymnastics. Its too dangerous otherwise.

Without a solid understanding of Bible and Talmud and normative Jewish knowledge and methods of thought, it is not easy (or maybe possible) to follow kabbalistic paths. You can learn ABOUT it - that's about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2011 - 11:57AM #5
christine3
Hi Pam,
I'm fascinated by what you are talking about and hope you are still around.  I have come from another path entirely and some won't consider it valid.  I learned from my Native American Indian relatives, in part, and have explored it with asking questions for the last about 13 years.  It is the body's response to asking questions.  Much of what is in Kaballistic Mysticism, the numbers, the directions, the parts of the body, are in the divination methods I've been exploring over these years.  Also, healing is a great part of it too because once the basic understanding of levels and methods, healing can be done on the physical body.  It is rather a mechanical procedure of willing something to happen or doing it at the right time.  Aside from that, though, one's 'the way I am' in life...gentle, merciful, peace-loving, ...are up to the individual and that development takes years of experience to acquire.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2011 - 12:28PM #6
Pam34

If interested, I'd recommend a little book called the Beliefnet Guide to Kabbalah. It's pretty decent as an introduction.

www.amazon.com/Beliefnet-Guide-Kabbalah-...

It's also available for the Kindle.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2011 - 12:50PM #7
christine3

Dec 22, 2011 -- 12:28PM, Pam34 wrote:

If interested, I'd recommend a little book called the Beliefnet Guide to Kabbalah. It's pretty decent as an introduction.

www.amazon.com/Beliefnet-Guide-Kabbalah-...

It's also available for the Kindle.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Aug 18, 2013 - 4:28PM #8
Rabbi_Kabbalahh

I recommended to get more information about practical kabbalah here: kabalatalisman.com

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook