Switch to Forum Live View Kabbalistic / Jewish astrology
4 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 12:40PM #1
shawoman

Hi all,

I am studying "Jewish shamanism" with a well-known rabbi in California, and someone touched on Jewish astrology. I am kind of curious about this.

My understanding is that astrology is permitted as long as you don't use it for divination purposes, i.e. one can use the information from a person's astrological sign, time of birth, and day/date of birth to discover their tendencies, strenghts, and things they need to work on in order to improve themselves/check possible compatability with another person.

So, is the above pretty much correct?

Can you point me to a reliable resource - in English - where I can read up on this?

Thanks!!

pbojsen

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 11:19AM #2
Pam34

That's about right - although personally I think its still pretty ridiculous (astrology). As for reliable sources - not many. Your rabbi/instructor can probably point you to a few books on the topic. Astrological study had a place in kabbalistic circles, but not usually a prominant place.

There are certain names I would consider reliable for Jewish mysticism in general, for instance, Arthur Green, Daniel Gordis or Lawrence Kushner. I can't say if any of them address astrology, at least not in the detail you seem to be looking for.

Beliefnet published a nice compact little book on the subject of Kabbalah a few years ago  - 'the Beliefnet guide to kabbalah' by Arthur Goldwag.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 2:48PM #3
shawoman

Hi Pam,

I would agree that astrology used as a divinational tool, i.e. the daily horoscope, is pretty much a waste of paper and time.

I do have a couple of Jewish books on astrology, and it's pretty interesting. The purpose of studying it was to, for example, find mates that would be compatible in an age where dating was not done.  I have to say that what it has to say about my sign is 95% accurate,  both in strengths and weaknesses, as well as my husband's mazal info. I certainly don't live my life by it, but find it an interesting coincidence. It does play a part in Jewish shamanism, but as far as I can tell at this point, it's not a huge part.

Thanks for the info!

Paula

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook