Switch to Forum Live View Jewish state to join the EU
4 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2010 - 2:46PM #1
Bob10

a poll by the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung in April last year said 75 percent of Israeli Jews and 40 percent of Israeli Arabs would like to become part of the European Union.

Do you think it's a good idea?

garnertedarmstrong.org/UnitedEuropeStori...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2010 - 5:52PM #2
Red_leaf

First off, I don't think Berlusconi has any right to say much of anything given his behavior. But that aside, I think it's a terrible idea. Joining the EU would make it easier for those who claim to be enemies of Israel to enter the country. Muslim radicals in the UK? Last I checked France wasn't exactly a fan of Israel either. Overall, Europe has seen a rise in anti-Semitism.

Bad, bad, bad idea. Geographically, Israel isn't even a part of Europe. A "cultural bond" can only go so far. I think all this really has is the potential for more violence.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

"Hey boss, did you ever see a more splendiferous crash?" -Alexis Zorba
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2010 - 5:54PM #3
Yavanna

I think it would increase the tensions many European countries are having with Islamic extremists already. The United Kingdom, France, the Netherlands and Germany aren't exactly having a walk in the park right now.

If Israel is a member of the E.U. then the Union loses that ability to negotiate with countries like Iran.

Personally, I'd rather that Israel join NATO, if anything.

Additionally, why risk Israel being forced to comply with E.U. law in the event that its own interests are affected?

The only positive thing I could think of off hand would be that the E.U. might be more successful in telling Israel to back off some of the settlements.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 9:33AM #4
nieciedo

This is stupid. 

First, it has nothing to do with Judaism.

Second, even if this were relevant to the board, someone obviously failed basic geographic: Israel isn't in Europe.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook