5 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2009 - 6:33PM #1
Sephiroth666

Hey do you guys believe that there are only good spirits in this earth realm?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 11:24PM #2
Pam34

I think that we think that we don't know what you are talking about. Earth realm? what is this, the Tolkien discussion forum?

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2009 - 8:46PM #3
Sephiroth666

Sep 2, 2009 -- 11:24PM, Pam34 wrote:

I think that we think that we don't know what you are talking about. Earth realm? what is this, the Tolkien discussion forum?

Don't Jews believe in Sheol and the soul? Do you think there are bad angels,as you guys believe in good holy angels?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2009 - 9:55PM #4
Pam34

no.

That is, since 'an angel' is nothing more than the manifestation of God's will in this world, how could there possibly be 'bad' angels? There are only 'godly angels', and 'good' or 'bad' are far too inadequte to use as terms for manifestations of God.

Angels have no free will, they are just 'God-willed' entities.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2009 - 9:52PM #5
Sephiroth666

Sep 5, 2009 -- 9:55PM, Pam34 wrote:

no.

That is, since 'an angel' is nothing more than the manifestation of God's will in this world, how could there possibly be 'bad' angels? There are only 'godly angels', and 'good' or 'bad' are far too inadequte to use as terms for manifestations of God.

Angels have no free will, they are just 'God-willed' entities.

Yeah, I know that, no free will, they must obey all god says. I think that's miserable. No offense, I know your beliefs are probably dear to you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2009 - 11:34PM #6
Pam34

Does my left little toe 'care' why I do things or where I walk? 'Angels' don't have enough self-awareness to 'care'. They do what they do because that's what they do.

Why would that be 'sad'? It isn't necessary to believe in angels at all, and it is possible to believe in nice 'named' angels that 'make choices' - neither position is necessary, but it depends on what use the ideas may be.

I kind of like the idea of teensy little angels singing to each and every little blade of grass and every star in the sky, encouraging their own particular charge to grow and shine and do it's utmost best to be the best blade of grass or star it can be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2009 - 11:39PM #7
Pam34

angelology is one of those 'side issues' - their actual existence - or non-existence - makes no real difference to Judaism. They are sometimes a handy way of talking about the spiritual world, that's all.

Humans have free will. Other created things have instincts. Angels can be thought of as glimmers visible to humans in 'this world' that are a kind of echo, or a little twinkle from 'the world beyond'. The point being that, to US, they appear to be distinct creatures with independent existence, but in 'actuality' (the REAL universe where God 'dwells') they are all part of the One.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2009 - 11:40PM #8
Pam34

Speaking personally, I don't 'believe' in angels at all. Or any 'lesser supernatural creatures'. Unless I'm reading a really good fantasy that is, with elves.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook