Switch to Forum Live View Celebrities and Kabbalah
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 11:55AM #1
etsryan
While I respect anyone/everyone learning as much as they can about Truth, when I see Madonna divorcing her husband after adopting a child, possibly getting involved with someone else's husband/former husband, parading around in next to nothing on stage, kissing women... I have to ask - just how is this a good example of a Truth seeker/Kabbalah student?  I worry about her.  I worry about those influenced by her/seduced? by her?  Anyone else see some incongruence here?  Has her involvement in Kabbalah influenced her to keep on or be more seductive/irreverent/immodest?  I would think not, but just when I think she is making some progress it seems she is right back into something else sleazy.  I hear other celebs are studying Kabbalah as well...Kutcher?  Affleck?  Just wondering.  Any thoughts?
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue ><:> *:D (: + 
Yesh!  www.muttscomics.com
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
Some of what Gilbert K. Chesterton says:
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"There are some desires that are not desirable."
"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man."
"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 5:38PM #2
ffb
Since she and others aren't actually studying kabbalah, but only seeking instant gratification from some hollywood version which separates out anything vaguely real and leaves with a new age spirituality which pretends to be something associated with kabbalah, it is hard to decide exactly what effect kabbalah has.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2008 - 6:33PM #3
Adam_Kratt
[QUOTE=ffb;888396]Since she and others aren't actually studying kabbalah, but only seeking instant gratification from some hollywood version which separates out anything vaguely real and leaves with a new age spirituality which pretends to be something associated with kabbalah, it is hard to decide exactly what effect kabbalah has.[/QUOTE]

It is my understanding that the Kabbalah Center is operated by Orthodox Jews, including a few hasid. I find it hard to believe that Madonna getting divorced and having affairs is an indictment of Kabbalah. I have never been to the Kabbalah Center so I am not aware of how authentic it is, but if Orthodox and Chasidim study there then I would have to question your assumption that it is somehow new age spirituality.

Kabbalah. does teach things that many do not understand such as re-incarnation/past lives but that is traditional kabbalah so can not be condemned because of Madonna's association.

Also I read a book called "Does the Soul Survive" written by Rabbi Elie Spitz who by researching the Tanach, Zohar and Talmud and by practical investigation of Past Life Regression makes the arguement that reincarnation is a valid and halachic position of after life for Judaism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2008 - 9:30PM #4
ffb
There is gilgul, but that is esoteric even by kabbalistic standards. The kobbalah in its proper form is an expansion of the mind's ability to perceive some inkling of god and the truths of the torah after exhaustive study of the text and the oral law. Trying to read the zohar without having the grounding in talmudic exegesis, or reading the sefer yetzirah on its own outside of the stream of jewish consciousness is worthless. Wearing $30 red threads on your wrist, selling "kabbalh water" or encouraging people to "practice kabbalah" is not at all part of what the kabbalah is. The kabbalah center in los angeles is run by someone who, at a younger age, studied in Orthodox schools, but whose actions and teachings are not at all part of normative jewish teaching about the kabbalah.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook