Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The facts you need to know about Kabbalah
7 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2008 - 3:25PM #1
moshiachby
The facts you need to know about Kabbalah

BSD
Now that the Messianic Age is beginning, many people are
becoming interested in Kabbalah as a Philosophy.
The Jewish Rabbinical Kabbalah is one of the most misunderstood and
misrepresented subjects around
So I've designed 2 Kabbalah series specifically designed
for email
1 easy - Reb Mendel's Kabbalah Miniseries for the Average Person
Which is the text for our Beginners' course
and
1 advanced - The New Improved Kabbalah Series
Which is the text for our Advanced course
And beginner's and advanced audio courses
ALL FREE at http://www.thewellsprings.org
Kabbalah is relevant to people of all religious backgrounds
There is much confusion relating to this subject.
Much of this confusion comes from the fact that there are
various disciplines which call themselves Kabbalah or
Qabbalah. These are not all the same. There is traditional
Jewish Kabbalah which is what will be taught in the cyberYeshivah.
There are also various non - Jewish traditions chief of
which is the Hermetic tradition (sometimes but not always Christian) and
various Magical (or Magickal) disciplines. If you are
interested in any of these, they are easy to find on the
web. These are different traditions and their teachings
should be viewed separately from the Jewish tradition.
We feel goodwill towards all seekers of Truth, we are
just pointing out that in the series when we say
Kabbalah, we are referring ONLY to the Jewish tradition.
This is to prevent confusion. We have often received
letters and email telling us that we were "wrong" or that
we differed from a "Qabalistic" teaching which the writer
had previously seen. Often this was because this other
teaching was not of the Jewish Tradition.
The Kabbalah is the deep Secret Knowledge of the Jewish
Religion. It is part of the Torah which was originally
given to Moses on Mt. Sinai but was known even earlier.
The Kabbalah is called Razei HaTorah - the Secrets of the
Torah. It also includes what is called Razei deRazin - the
Secrets of the Secrets which is often given the separate
name Chassidus.
We shall be covering both levels of Kabbalah in this
series.
In general Kabbalah describes how G-d emanated and created
the worlds out of His Own Infinite being through a process
called the Tzimtzum - the Lessening (of the Infinite
Light). Chassidus offers insights into the Infinite Light
before the Tzimtzum and into the Atsmus - the Selfness of
G-d.
Since it describes the emanation and creation of all the
worlds,the Kabbalah contains all sciences and knowledges.
Things that were discovered in past, things now being
discovered, things to be discovered, things which will
never be discovered are all explained in Kabbalah.
One last point, in the Jewish Tradition, the Unity of G-d
does not refer to the fact that there is one rather than
two gods. It means that there is only one Existence. There
is only G-d and nothing else at all.
In these series we shall try as much as possible to present
the Kabbalah in a non-sectarian manner. This is not always
possible since we are presenting the Kabbalah from a
Jewish perspective. So please keep in mind that we are in
no way trying to preach or proselytize. These series are
presented to be informative and open up a subject which
was a closely guarded secret for a long time.
Some of you will consider some of the material on the series
elementary as it will be presenting material which you
already know. Please bear with us. These series are designed
to be useful even for a novice.
The posts can be studied in approx 10 - 15 minutes
I am not trying to proselytize or convince in any way but
am just trying to bring to light a subject which has been shrouded in
mystery for millenniums

Enjoy
Rabbi Yossi Markel.

check my site

http://thewellsprings.org

Free books and audio

also my brother's site

http://truekabbalah.com

I suggest starting with

THE KNOWLEDGE OF G-D
by my brother Rabbi Amiram Markel on his site (free)

http://truekabbalah.com

under documents.

This book is an excellent introduction to the entire system of Kabbalah, in a way of comprehension and understanding.  Part one explains the Kabbalistic System of the Chaining Down of the Worlds - known as the Seder Hishtalshelut. This knowledge is the foundation of all Kabbalistic thought, and gives great insight into the nature of our existence, and into G-d.  The second part is an introduction to the Kabbalistic method of contemplation and meditation, known as Hitbonenut.  Part three explains how the various levels of one's soul become revealed through Hitbonenut meditation. (145 pages)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2008 - 4:08PM #2
nieciedo
[QUOTE=moshiachby;387983]
Now that the Messianic Age is beginning,[/QUOTE]

The Messianic Age is beginning? Really? That's cool, if true. How do you know?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2008 - 7:18PM #3
moshiachby
[QUOTE=nieciedo;388129]The Messianic Age is beginning? Really? That's cool, if true. How do you know?[/QUOTE]

I'm not here 2 argue

Just 2 inform

sounds like u want 2 argue

but if not

basically - the interest in Kabbalah is the biggest sign of thiis

the way I know is the Rebbe said so
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2008 - 12:48PM #4
Dogmadoubter
Is there a way we can discuss Kabbalah's teaching on Moshiach without it turning into a pointless, bandwidth-wasting trollfest?

For example, which specific Kabbalist interpretations lead you to state that the Messianic age is beginning?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 3:45AM #5
Shlomo613
[QUOTE=Dogmadoubter;764414]Is there a way we can discuss Kabbalah's teaching on Moshiach without it turning into a pointless, bandwidth-wasting trollfest?

For example, which specific Kabbalist interpretations lead you to state that the Messianic age is beginning?[/QUOTE]

This is doubtful.

I've heard from various ppl that 'The Messianic age is upon us' whatever that may mean. Immediately what comes to my mind is, what Moshiach? Moshiach ben Yosef or Moshiach ben David???
Of course first comes Moshiach ben Yosef and there is quite a bit of controversy as to who this may be, or if he's yet to arrive. There can be little doubt we live in the age of Galut Edom, but is this also the age of Moshiach ben Yosef is open to debate.

I'm no great Kabbalist but  the little that I have learned convinced me the age of Mishiach ben David is not here or even close.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2008 - 1:51PM #6
moshiachby
[QUOTE=Dogmadoubter;764414]Is there a way we can discuss Kabbalah's teaching on Moshiach without it turning into a pointless, bandwidth-wasting trollfest?

For example, which specific Kabbalist interpretations lead you to state that the Messianic age is beginning?[/QUOTE]

from Shaar Hayichud - explanation on what Zohar says

(This upward progression of understanding continues until one's understanding pinnacles, reaching the level called the ‘celestial depth’ (i.e. the highest heights).As with the welling of the waters higher and higher at the time of the flood. This will also occur, in a spiritual sense, during the Messianic era "in the six hundredth year of the life of Noah," a reference to Zohar which predicted (some two thousand years ago), based on this verse, that in the year 5600 of the Jewish calendar (1840) or according to some opinions the year 5001 (1241) i.e. the 6th mimillenniumthe world would begin a great flood of knowledge in both divine knowledge and secular science. This date (1840) corresponds historically to the advent of the industrial revolution, which began the explosion of technological advances during the past one hundred and fifty years. As it is stated in Zohar (which came out at the beginning of the 6th mimillennium„that at that time the wellsprings of wisdom will open etc.,“ this refers to the wellsprings of the wisdom of the depths that „rose higher and higher covering all the mountains etc.“ Physically this refers to the geysers and hot springs that gushed forth during the time of the flood. „And the reservoirs of the heavens will rupture etc.,“ in order to elicit the waters that are above the heavens,which is called the ‘celestial depth’. This is dependent on the ‘depth of the abyss’ for „the beginning is wedged in the end,“ meaning that the lowest of all - our physical world - is most strongly bound with „the beginning“ G-d Himself. The reason for this special connection is that the entire purpose of all of creation was because G-d desired a dwelling place in the lower realm and it was for this purpose that everything was made. This means that all of the upper spiritual worlds exist only for our lowly physical one. The flood of Wisdom which started on the 600th year of Noach refers to the opening up of the Knowledge of Kabbalah which started then and is now reaching true flood like proportions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2008 - 4:22AM #7
Shlomo613
Well, the part of the purpose of Creation certainly is what I've been taught, our physical world is but a reflection of the spiritual world. The status of this world is what is most relevant when one thinks of the messianic age, physical science is nice but this age also produced the Shoah and therefore is indicative of Moshiach ben Yosef, the suffering servant. Who is the suffering servant? Look in the mirror, it is the Jews. The history of our people is the same throughout this age of Galut Edom, one Shoah after another. The pattern is there, and is unchanged to this day, and is going to be repeated in the future, until Moshiach ben David comes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2008 - 10:29AM #8
Bunsinspace

Shlomo613 wrote:

Well, the part of the purpose of Creation certainly is what I've been taught, our physical world is but a reflection of the spiritual world. ....

BS"D

I have heard that a lot. I believe exactly the opposite - that the spiritual world (that world which we recreate in our mind and by which we perceive the physical world) is but a reflection of the physical world - and a poor one at that. That is one of the many purposes of Torah - to sort out all that mishugos IMHO.

It is one thing to live within one's faith, but I believe that one crosses the line into insanity when one starts believing that the world constructed in one's mind is the reality and the physical world which gave birth to and sustains the mind is merely a reflection when it is clearly the other way around.

To me, the tzimtzum is speculation and not dogma. It is presented with a purpose to lay the foundation for our actions and our perspectives. And as such it is the best we have, but it is still an approximation, a reflection of reality which is independent of our minds which was by it Created and not the reality itself.

If we choose to cross over into the insanity of designating our view of reality as the source from which all reality originates when clearly we ourselves originate from a reality that exists independent of us, then we are truly condemning ourselves to wandering lost forever in the error of our own creation. LIke building a box, taping ourselves inside it and then choosing to believe the box is the totality of our existence - our entire universe and the source of our existence.

If, OTOH, we remain open to the mysteries of Creation as they are unfolded to us and do not mistake those revelations for the reality itself, we will continue to grow and evolve and might even find a way to better ourselves as we help to repair Creation from the damage that we, as a species, have done to it by out actions or inactions IMHO.

So I do not refute the position of those who look at Creation backwards believing that all of Creation originates from within the mind, but I do maintain that it IS backwards and is not the best way to exist IMHO. What is the foundation of the mind should be respected for its greater quality of independent existence and should not be held in thrall to one's imagination nomatter how great or how undeveloped that imagination might be.

So I take the words "reflection of the spiritual world" to mean that by which we ENACT our spiritual standards upon physical reality.  And thereby I draw the line in the sand between myself and other mystical points of view which I refuse to cross.

BTW - I am enjoying the conversation so far so please do not view my comments as a distraction, just my own kibbitzing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 3:33PM #9
riviya
To the OP, I appreciate the opportunity to learn about Judaism so I checked out your sites.  The first one charges $40 for taped lessons and the other two are the same site.  I bookmarked the second site.

What is the reference to Mosiach ben Yosef?  Is that Jesus?  Not interested...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2008 - 4:51AM #10
Shlomo613
[QUOTE=riviya;776989]....
What is the reference to Mosiach ben Yosef?  Is that Jesus?  Not interested...[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_ben_Joseph
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook