Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View New ABC series features Mormon character wearing nothing but temple garments”
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2015 - 5:21PM #1
Acts 28:22
It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2015 - 9:19PM #2
Ironhold

Given ABC's track record concerning the church, I'm sadly not surprised. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2015 - 3:30AM #3
moksha8088

Just to add a few facts, it is a police show and there is a scene with one of the characters wearing his Temple underwear in the locker room.  The rest of the show he wears his regular uniform. 

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2015 - 8:36AM #4
MMCSFOX

“Just to add a few facts, it is a police show and there is a scene with one of the characters wearing his Temple underwear in the locker room.  The rest of the show he wears his regular uniform.”

So Moksha, do you feel that showing his garments was necessary to the plot of the show or episode?  My question would simply be, was it really necessary or are the script writers not able to work around their subject?

Jesse

"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

--- Elie Wiesel

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2015 - 11:42AM #5
moksha8088

Jesse, I have no idea if it was necessary.  That is a question for the writers of that episode.  Just want to point out that the garment is only presented in a locker room scene and that the character will not continually be clothed in Temple underwear. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2015 - 7:17PM #6
MMCSFOX

Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2015 - 3:55PM #7

Jul 1, 2015 -- 11:42AM, moksha8088 wrote:

Jesse, I have no idea if it was necessary.  That is a question for the writers of that episode.  Just want to point out that the garment is only presented in a locker room scene and that the character will not continually be clothed in Temple underwear. 

And I just want to point out that the Temple Ceremony in "Sister Wives" was only presented in what's supposed to be a Temple setting and that the characters did not continually  recite the ordinance throughout the series.
Moksha,your attempts at logic, sometimes stupefy me!  
No offense!

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2015 - 1:42PM #8
moksha8088

Jul 2, 2015 -- 3:55PM, Acts 28:22 wrote:

Moksha,your attempts at logic, sometimes stupefy me!  No offense!

I sometimes surprise myself. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2015 - 12:33PM #9
MysticWanderer

So we should have no locker room scenes on any show?  Or only avoid them on sjhows with LDS characters.  Do LDS not change in the locker room like everyone else? (I know I do)  Is it OK then to shiow Sikh characters changing and revealing their sacred garments but not us?  Is it OK to draw demeaning cartoons about the prophet Mohammed but not to show a character in the normal state of dress which mioght reveal the temple garment?  If you say no to all of the above you at least get points for consistency.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2015 - 2:02PM #10

Jul 7, 2015 -- 12:33PM, MysticWanderer wrote:

So we should have no locker room scenes on any show? Didn't say that but the gratuitous ones are unfortunate. Shows in the forties and fifties had weren't nearly so revealing.  Or only avoid them on sjhows with LDS characters. Didn't say that either. Do LDS not change in the locker room like everyone else? (I know I do) We all go to the restroom as well, but I don't need to watch someone take a dump. Is it OK then to shiow Sikh characters changing and revealing their sacred garments but not us?  Matthew 7:12 comes to mind. Is it OK to draw demeaning cartoons about the prophet Mohammed but not to show a chainaracter in the normal state of dress which mioght reveal the temple garment? Matthew 7:12  again. If you say no to all of the above you at least get points for consistency.

For someone claiming to be LDS you seem very ignorant. No offense.  

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook