Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2015 - 1:55PM #1
MMCSFOX

COMMUNITY DOINGS

I mentioned Glamour Gowns in another post and will add a little more here about them. For our Optimist Youth Home, the at-risk kids that graduate from our High School, Glamour Gowns and others provide full outfits for the girls and boys at each graduation.  They also provide for Proms and other events when asked. Another local community puts on a great alcohol free post prom party at a local YMCA. 12 to 5AM.

We just finished our 4th annual walkathon at the Youth Home where everyone simply had a great time. Go to www.oyhfs.org to see photos of the event.

There are so many at-risk kids around us today that feel nobody cares about them that every little thing that can help these kids know that we do care is important.

But here, tell us what volunteer activities are going on in your community to help others or simply to help make life more enjoyable. New ideas are always welcome.

Jesse

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2015 - 8:30PM #2
MMCSFOX

It seems to be somewhat quite here so I will add some information about another great local service club in my City of Burbank.

The Kiwanis Club of Burbank

About Our Club

The Kiwanis Club of Burbank, also known as Noon Kiwanis, was founded in 1922. Dedicated to serving children and their families in the greater Burbank area, we support over 80 projects a year!

Some of the projects we support:

• Sponsor Kiwanis Key Clubs at Burbank High SchoolBellarmine-Jefferson High School, Providence High School and Monterey High School. (Key Clubs are the service club equivalent to the Kiwanis for youth in high schools.)
  • Burbank High School band
  • Burbank High School drama department
  • Burbank High School vocal music association
  • Relay for Life
  • Providence St. Joseph Cancer Center
  • Sponsor reading program and speech contests at Burbank Middle Schools
  •  Kiwanis Cares about Children (KCAC)-Help disaster stricken families in the Burbank area
  • Youth scholarships
  • Teacher recognition
  • Burbank Temporary Aid Center
  • Youth Leadership Conference
  • Bellarmine-Jefferson Cross Country Track Meet (support track meet for Southern California high schools)
  • Feed the youth volunteers working on the annual Pasadena Rose Parade floats
  • Luther Burbank Middle School music program
  • Burbank YMCA
  • Burbank Kids Community Dental Clinic
  • Burbank, Bellarmine-Jefferson, Monterey, and Providence High Schools’ Key Clubs (student led organization
  • providing members with opportunities to provide service, build character, and develop leadership)
  • John Muir and Jordan Middle Schools’ Builders Clubs (see above description)
  • Peaceful Playgrounds at elementary schools
  • Annual Gala Fundraiser
  • Annual Pancake Breakfast to support local youth programs
  • Boy Scouts of America
  • Anti-Bullying programs
  • Serving meals to seniors
  • Circle K Club at Woodbury University
  • Deliver “Nutrition Program” every Wednesday at lunch for seniors and the disabled to who can’t access a meal otherwise.
  • Fundraise annually through a Gala which benefits various youth groups.
  • Commit to service projects for the community: Food Drives for food pantries, Pancake Breakfast fundraiser, Relay for Life and more!
  • Directly assist families in need through KCAC (Kiwanis Cares About Children.)
  • Meet weekly for lunch to discuss matters important to the club and the community!

What would our Communities do without volunteers?

Jesse

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2015 - 11:39PM #3
MMCSFOX

A letter from one of the youth that the Optimist Youth Home staff (www.oyhfs.org) have been working with. This is the kind of thing that makes all effort worth while. This letter is not too unusual because of all the great work by a staff that cares.

Jesse

A Second Chance

In the past I have made lots of mistakes.  Most of them got me where I am today. This may seem a little odd, but I am happy that I was arrested. If I hadn't been, I would be on the street and not on my way to graduation like I am today. The following explains how my life has changed drastically, so that now I have a plan for my future and why I believe that I deserve this scholarship. And this is a pretty big plan.

A year and a half ago, my life was on a downward slope. I had dropped out of school and all the police in my neighborhood knew me. I was deep in a hole due to drugs. So deep, that when I looked up I couldn't see any light above. Due to my illegal behaviors, I have been placed in a residential program. I have significantly changed over the time that I have been here. I am now passing all of my classes, and I have restored the relationships with my family, friends, and teachers.

Over the course of the last year and a half, my life has changed. I have been sober and have stayed sober with help from residential staff, and they have also helped me and my family to repair all relationships with the people closest to me. I also now have a job at the Cheesecake

Factory where I have been working for the past four weeks.  I have shown a lot of responsibility. In fact, my employer recently promoted me after the first week from Dishwasher to working in the Bakery. I am working 24-34 hours a week and have still been able to attend school and pass all my classes.

I will be graduating high school on June 19, 2015. I then intend to

enter Pasadena City College in August and believe I deserve a second chance. The scholarship money will be used for my schooling, and I have a lot of schooling to do still. I plan to be an Anesthesiologist. After PCC I will transfer to a 4 year university, and then I will be going to medical school. A year and a half ago, I had no goals for me in my life. I have the future  planned out for  myself and am dedicated  to  my future now.

After I leave this program, I am planning to rent an apartment in Eagle Rock so that I can be closer to school and work. My parents are going to help me out by paying half of the rent while I pay the other half of my rent. We are planning to do this, so that I can save some money to put myself through college and medical school.

All in all, I now have a future for myself. I have a lot of school in my future and anything would help. I have done a full 360 in my life. I have gone from a low-life, dropout druggy that had no interest in school to a young man that will graduate on time. I am now a respected member of society with no intentions of ever going back to my old ways. Thank you for taking the time to read my essay.

-Daniel

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2015 - 9:27PM #4
MMCSFOX

Our Optimist Youth Home Charter School (WWW.OYHFS.ORG) has now taken in around 30 of the “Aviva Residential Group Home Girls.” These are girls that have had many problems in their lives. You can look them up under Aviva Residential Group. The girls are bused in each day for classes. Sometimes I do not want to read or hear anymore of the bad things that are happening to today’s youth but I still thrive on learning what many groups and people are doing to assist them. After Aviva’s inspections I was kind of proud that they liked us enough to send their girls to us.

Jesse

“Be happy, not because everything is good, but because you can see the good side of everything.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2015 - 7:48PM #5
MMCSFOX

Tues. Aug 4 2015  is National Night Out Against Crime. There are many BBQ’S around many neighborhoods. The local Police Departments are the sponering agencies but the local Neighborhood Watch members are the ones that actually put on the various BBQ'S which gives you a chance to meet many neighbors. Check with your local Police Departments who should be able to guide you to the closest one. We always invite the missionaries to come, eat and meet folks.

Jesse

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2015 - 1:59AM #6
moksha8088

Speaking of crime, here are the six States that are the safest from crime :

1 Massachusetts 16 1 6 8 3
2 Vermont 6 12 8 4 7
3 Minnesota 1 2 4 33 15
4 New Hampshire 7 22 2 6 14
5 Hawaii 14 23 19 1 5
6 Utah
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2015 - 4:34PM #7
MMCSFOX

Oh darn, they should have had my City of Burbank, but I guess that San Francisco and those Northern people kept us out of the safest list.  Cool

Jesse

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2015 - 5:37PM #8
MMCSFOX

We had another great street BBQ where many neighbors brought great food. W always get the Mayor, a fire ladder truck that they let the small kids climb on it, City council members.and police. A good time was had by all. We were also able to get updates on e-mails and phone numbers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2015 - 9:14AM #9
MMCSFOX

Being retired I have time to be active in the Optimist Club of Burbank, North Hollywood Optimist Club and the Glendale Optimist Club. It is interesting that all Optimist Clubs are “friends of youth” yet each Club does different things for the kids. The North Hollywood Club has its own airplane and teaches kids how to fly. They have around 15 kids actively learning . The Glendale club works with the optimist youth Home (WWW.OYHFS.ORG) in creating events for the at-risk kids there and those who come in each day for our Charter School. The Burbank  Club also sponsors events for the at-risk kids at the Home. I have listed what the local Kiwanis Club is doing so now I will list some of the thing that the Burbank Club does for our youth: Note that there is another Burbank Club that many other things for our youth. I suggest that you click on the webb site above for more information about the Home,

BURBANK MAGNOLIA PARK 2013-2014 ACTIVITIES

Sponsor Girls High School Golf Tournament, usually 20 -22 schools.

Sponsor High School golf tournament,

Host the John Burroughs High School girls Basketball Tournament, 20 schools participating,

Provide 1, $1000 Sports scholarship to a John Burroughs student picked by the Coaches for combined academic and sports leadership,

Members donated food to Burbank Temporary Aid Center twice a month throughout the year,

Work the Salvation Army Red Kettle drive at a market just before Christmas,

Annually volunteer at the City of Burbank Halloween neighborhood event at a City Park,

Host Burbank Police Dept Officers of the Year, Respect for Law awards,

Co-Sponsor Burbank Mayor’s annual Prayer Breakfast,

Provide 10 $1,000 Academic Scholarships to High School Graduates,

Provide 3 $500 Scholarships to High School Graduates who have “Met the Challenge” to improve grades,

Annual Golf Tournament fundraiser. $16,000, which pays for the scholarships.

Donate and assist with Optimist Youth Home & Family Service fund raisers.

Members assist at Optimist Youth Home BBQ for the kids,

Members assist at Optimist Youth Home car show where the kids judge the cars,

The neat thing about these activities is how much the kids enjoy the events and how great you feel after participating.

Jesse

If you’re fixen to get yourself a good stallion, don’t go lookin in the donkey corral.

--   Gladiola Montana

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2015 - 1:07AM #10
MMCSFOX
Optimist Youth Homes and Family Services opened its Foster Family Agency in 1993 in response to an increased need for quality foster homes. (www.oyhfs.org)

The ages of the clients, all referred by the County Department of Children and Family Services, ranges from birth through 21 years.  Optimist is licensed by the State of California Department of Social Services to recruit, train, and

certify foster and adoptive parents. Our social workers provide ongoing support to our foster/adoptive families and clients. This is done through regular visits and an

on-call system that makes services available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  In addition, social work staff compile comprehensive treatment plans, monthly reports and referrals for outside services, if necessary. We have served well over 5,000 children in loving and caring foster homes since 1993.

All Optimist foster parents receive formalized training as well as certification in First Aid and CPR. We also provide financial assistance to aid foster parents in caring for their foster children.

I LEARNED YESTERDAY THAT WE WILL NOW BE ABLE TO HAVE KIDS ON PROBATION IN OUR FOSTER HOMES. This means a little more training for our foster parents but I understand that a few have already stated they will take them into their home. Most feel that this is much better than locking up these young kids in juvenile  camps.

Jesse

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook