Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2015 - 11:59PM #1
steve220

Hi,
I'm sort of a wandering theist right now, but I saw a church near me offering a Celtic-style service, which seems really interesting judging by the description.   I was wondering if I would fit in, with a more "modernist" perspective of scripture. (the church in question is Presbyterian Church USA, btw)

A little background: I was a Southern Baptist for 3 years in high school, (a while ago), but I've been dabling in various faith (and non-faith) traditions ever since.  I was confirmed Episcopalian and have a lot of commonality with that tradition right now, but I'd like to start going to church again, and I'm curious about other Christian traditions.

I tend to view the gospels as a metaphor for how much God loves humanity, but I could be persuaded to take a slightly more literal view of certain aspects of scripture.  However, I can't go 100% percent like the Baptists do, so I don't want to offend everyone if I show up with some crazy ideas about interpreting the Bible (not that I'm looking to convince anyone of my own beliefs, but if asked, I'll give an honest answer).  

Basically, I'm not looking to rock the boat, since I know everyone there will take their beliefs seriously.  I just want to see if I'll be in completely the wrong place or not if I try something different.

Thanks in advance.
Steve 

PS, I also emailed the church itself, but I'm still curious what people here think, in case the person answering my email feels bad about turning people away:)  I want an honest answer, without judgement from me or to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2015 - 7:01PM #2
steve220

Feb 27, 2015 -- 11:59PM, steve220 wrote:

Hi,
I'm sort of a wandering theist right now, but I saw a church near me offering a Celtic-style service, which seems really interesting judging by the description.   I was wondering if I would fit in, with a more "modernist" perspective of scripture. (the church in question is Presbyterian Church USA, btw)

A little background: I was a Southern Baptist for 3 years in high school, (a while ago), but I've been dabling in various faith (and non-faith) traditions ever since.  I was confirmed Episcopalian and have a lot of commonality with that tradition right now, but I'd like to start going to church again, and I'm curious about other Christian traditions.

I tend to view the gospels as a metaphor for how much God loves humanity, but I could be persuaded to take a slightly more literal view of certain aspects of scripture.  However, I can't go 100% percent like the Baptists do, so I don't want to offend everyone if I show up with some crazy ideas about interpreting the Bible (not that I'm looking to convince anyone of my own beliefs, but if asked, I'll give an honest answer).  

Basically, I'm not looking to rock the boat, since I know everyone there will take their beliefs seriously.  I just want to see if I'll be in completely the wrong place or not if I try something different.

Thanks in advance.
Steve 

PS, I also emailed the church itself, but I'm still curious what people here think, in case the person answering my email feels bad about turning people away:)  I want an honest answer, without judgement from me or to me.

Hey everyone.  I emailed the church with pretty much what I posted here and they seem to align pretty closely with where I am.  Their study group is working through a Marcus Borg book, and I'm a big fan of his work so I'm giong to try to make my way out there.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook