Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Martin Luther King Jr's Spiritual Condition
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2015 - 10:06AM #1
weberhome02

The letters that Paul wrote to his friends Timothy and Titus, are sometimes referred to as the pastoral epistles because they contain instructions for pastors rather than instructions for rank and file pew warmers. The following is one of those instructions.

†. 2Tim 2:4 . . As Christ's soldier, do not let yourself become tied up in the affairs of this life, for then you cannot satisfy the one who has enlisted you in his army.

The koiné Greek word for "affairs" is pragmateia (prag-mat-i'-ah) which refers to transactions.

One of Webster's definitions of "transaction" is a communicative action or activity involving two parties or things that reciprocally affect or influence each other. That definition can apply to any number of human affairs including, but not limited to, business and politics.

King chose to ignore Paul's instructions. He won't go to hell for it; but his insubordination will effect his performance appraisal as per 1Cor 3:10-15, and thus result in a smaller performance award than what he would have deserved had he devoted himself to Paul's instructions instead getting distracted with racial issues.

King cheated on his wife too. Adultery is bad enough when committed by a rank and file pew warmer; but much more serious when a pastor does it.

According to Paul's instructions for ministers ordained to serve Jesus Christ, athletes are disqualified when they fail to comply with the rules of the game (2Tim 2:5). One of the rules of the game for ministers ordained to serve Jesus Christ is to avoid getting involved in the affairs of this world. That rule is not negotiable.

†. 1Tim 6:13-14 . . In the sight of God— who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession —I charge you to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,

All the instructions contained within the two letters that Paul wrote to his pal Timothy were reckoned as "this command". In other words: the two letters combined comprise a single directive; and 2Tim 2:4 is only a teensy portion of that directive: there's lots more where that came from. Paul's directive is to be obeyed-- to the letter. It was never intended as some sort of general-purpose guideline.

FYI: Paul's instructions are Jesus Christ's instructions.

†. 1Cor 14:37 . . If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of The Lord.

†. 1Ths 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

Q: How can it possibly be wrong for a Christian to crusade against the way people are treated?

A: You can't think of King as "a Christian". He was on a much higher tier than that. King was a minister ordained to serve Jesus Christ. I'm not, nor do I want to be, because the standards for Christ's ministers are higher than those for rank and file pew warmers. It's no big deal if a nondescript Christian goes on a march to Selma; but it's a big no-no for men on King's tier to go on marches. It's a big no-no for men on King's tier to even so much as endorse marches.

An especially really big no-no for men on King's tier is to usurp their church's pulpit for personal interests. That's sort of akin to hooking up your home's fresh water pipes to the sewer system. Your fresh water pipes are intended for fresh water, not soiled water. I'm not saying personal interests are dirty; all I'm saying is everything has its proper place. For example:

Back in the decade of the 1990's Billy Graham came to Portland Oregon. At the time there was a big to-do about gays and lesbians. Well; the anti-gay coalition approached Billy and asked him to endorse their cause. To his credit; Billy refused. Not that Billy was pro-gay; he just felt that Christ did not call him to use his pulpit for political activism; but rather to "go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit; teaching them to observe all that I commanded you".

Had King kept his nose to the grindstone instead of sticking it in affairs that were none of his business; he might still be alive today because King wasn't assassinated for his devotion to Jesus Christ; no, he was assassinated for his devotion to civil rights issues.

I've heard it said that nobody is a complete failure when they can serve as a bad example. Well; that's certainly true of King. Were I a seminary professor; I'd very definitely use King, not as a role model, but as an excellent example of the kind of minister that every man ordained to serve Jesus Christ should not be.

============================================

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2015 - 10:10PM #2
weberhome02

I am not a Christian minister ordained to serve Jesus Christ.

I am a rank and file pew warmer who depends upon ordained ministers like King to stay the course and tend the sheep whom Christ has entrusted to their care instead of leaving home and running off to do their own thing in the world of political activism-- a humanistic world that cares little for the Lord's sheep, and even less for the duties and responsibilities of Christian ministers ordained to serve Jesus Christ; which are:

†. 2Tim 4:1-5 . . In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-- with great patience and careful instruction.

. . . For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

In spite of appearances, I suspect that King despised church life as an inconvenience: a ball and chain holding him back from what he really wanted to do. His track record speaks for itself-- King's heart was never really in church life; his heart was in politics and public speaking. Tsk.

"No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:61-62)

=======================================

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook