Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

3 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2014 - 3:34PM #1
Courtenay
As this time of celebration is almost upon us, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can share articles, testimonies, poems, or any other inspiration about the joyous meaning of Christmas and the coming of Christ for us all! Smile

This week's issue of the Christian Science Sentinel magazine is full of Christmas treasures. I especially love this testimony of healing: A Christmas full of peace (by Sue Penny)

While caught up in the busy-ness of preparing for Christmas, the writer found herself struggling with severe symptoms of a bladder problem. I love how the story of Christmas, in particular, impelled her prayers:

I knew that God is always communicating to us, but I needed to be a better listener. So I made the decision to stop focusing on what my body was telling me. I had a strong desire to express more of Mary’s sweet receptivity to God’s direction, Joseph’s humble obedience, and the wise men’s alertness and wisdom in their search for the babe Jesus. The shepherds’ watchfulness, their awe at hearing the angels, and their enthusiasm (“haste”) to go to the Christ child inspired me to do the same. 

I stopped worrying about holiday preparations and rejoiced in the inspiration gained from my daily study of the nativity. The symptoms no longer impressed me....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2014 - 3:48PM #2
Courtenay

While I'm here, I would also like to thank the team at Beliefnet for posting this wonderful article by Christian writer and blogger, Frank Viola: A Forgotten Christmas Lesson

When the Christmas story is told, we hear mostly about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

Throughout church history, Mary has been venerated, as she should be. Joseph, her husband, however, has often been relegated to little more than a footnote to the story.

But Joseph was one of the most righteous men who ever lived....

Frank goes on to explain, in a most engaging and eye-opening way, the crucial lesson for us all in Joseph's decision not to condemn and shame his betrothed wife for what appeared to be a particularly reprehensible sin:

I’m sure Joseph’s blood boiled when he heard that the woman he committed to marry was pregnant, and not by him. But because he was a righteous man, he showed mercy. He treated Mary as if he were in her own shoes and was guilty of what he had assumed she did....

In Joseph, we find no hints of self-righteousness. And therein do we find a wonderful definition of righteousness. It is to react like Jesus, living void of self-righteousness.

With the story of Mary and Joseph featuring in this coming week's Christian Science Bible Lesson, I'm so grateful to have been pointed to this deep and often-missed message within the narrative. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2014 - 2:58PM #3
Courtenay

I love this poem that was also published in the most recent Christian Science Sentinel. It has a meaning that goes well beyond Christmas itself:

Inn or stable?

How often do we have to choose
between the “inn” and “stable”?
These mental states forever call
—to choose the fact or fable....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2014 - 5:30PM #4
Judyr

Thanks Courtenay for sharing those lovely articles and poems.

I've been thinking (in light of the tragedy in Glasgow, Scotland, two days ago, just over a year after another tragedy before Christmas 2013 - with the helicopter crash) how hard it must be to cope at this time of year when everyone around you is celebrating, being with family, being happy and we all need to pray that the Comforter will come to them and heal the pain.

No-one can ever really be alone because we are right now, all-one with God.

I too have been reading and listening to some of the CS archive material on Christmas. This audio program is very special. If you don't have time to listen to all 48 mins, scroll along to  35 mins to hear a wonderful experience a little girl had during WW2, when she prayed for her father who they were told had been killed.
"Commemorating Christmas"

A peaceful and blessed Christmas to everyone!

JudyRae

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook