Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Hi everyone. Looks like this forum isn't moving a lot nowadays, but I do remember it helping me...
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2014 - 9:47AM #1
dancymisha
Hi everyone.  Looks like this forum isn't moving a lot nowadays, but I do remember it helping me when I started my renewed spiritual journey years ago.

I attend an LCMS church.  I say attend but I guess I just visit every now and then though I'm still on the books as a member.  My daughter used to go to school there but we had to remove her from their school due to a number of different reasons.  I tried to continue attending service there but it was just too hard for me.  I absolutely adored the school and what it was doing for my daughter and it broke my heart to keep going to service when she couldn't go attend school there anymore.

We started going to a large non-denominational church after that.  I guess you could call it a mega-church.  I also loved going to service there.  The worship was awesome!  The congregation was alive and  you could tell everyone loved being there.  

Which brings me to where I am now.  We recently started going back to the Lutheran church.  I felt the larger church was missing something - though the services were "alive" and vibrant I was becoming disconnected with some of the things I didn't personally agree with or understand.  While I totally understand it's not necessary for pastors to live like paupers...gosh I feel so horrible saying this but I'll spit it out.  I didn't like that the pastors always had on fancy clothes, and on their facebook pages they posted pictures of them going to exotic places.  Sometimes these pictures were because they were going on mission type trips, some not.  You could also tell they lived in a very well off neighborhood.  And I also totally understand as a Christian it's necessary to give for the better of the church and congregation but every single service they mentioned it being your Christian duty to tithe - that's not exactly how the pastor said it but that was the jist of it.  

Due to this we started going back to the Lutheran church.  Another thing I was missing from the bigger church was a sense of closeness with God's word and actual teaching from the Bible.  While they read passages every now and then the Lutheran service was much more Bible based.  However after experiencing the vibrant worship at the bigger church I found the Lutheran church extremely lacking in this area.  While I know it shouldn't be about the "smoke and lights" and church isn't for entertainment the Lutheran church just doesn't seem alive.  I feel the people there go to service just to go, they chat with each other and do the yearly festivals and Christmas services and that's it.  I do still love the actual service though.  

Trying to find another church isn't an option right now.  My daughter is older and it's hard enough to get her out on a Sunday to go to church and she is very against trying to find somewhere new. I don't know what I'm looking for by posting this..advice, guidance, prayers that we may decide which path to take?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2014 - 3:40PM #2
Jupiter6208

Yeah it's been dead here for a very long time. 

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2014 - 8:35PM #3
allan444

Nov 14, 2014 -- 9:47AM, dancymisha wrote:

We started going to a large non-denominational church after that.  I guess you could call it a mega-church.  I also loved going to service there.  The worship was awesome!  The congregation was alive and  you could tell everyone loved being there. ........................................................... 

.  And I also totally understand as a Christian it's necessary to give for the better of the church and congregation but every single service they mentioned it being your Christian duty to tithe - that's not exactly how the pastor said it but that was the jist of it.  

I have also attended a non-deominational church in the past and found the worship also very moving

Now a days this tithing thing is very common. Paul is clear in Corinthians(IICor 9:7) about giving " give what youve decided to give in your heart not reluctantly or under compulsion because God loves a cheerful giver"

Although more common in non-denominational churches , I have also heard this is some denominational churches, the gist being you dont have to tithe but you should tithe . Kinda alike saying your not under the law but you should follow this law .

Tithing for the Jewish nation was only and always a products of the land (- food substances )

Fisherman didnt tithe fish, carpenters didnt tithe wood products , tent makers didnt tithe tents and tax collectors didnt tithe money. There were also 3 tithes  ( one of them  every 3 years) for an average yearly total of 23.3%. It was never money.

Hey if the Lord leads you to give 3%, 5%, 20%, 15% or 10% go for it !

Each day we should offer God 100% of ourselves and allow him to guide us in everything we do, including how much to give to the "church"

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2014 - 2:50PM #4
teilhard

You might find a place in an ELCA congregation ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2014 - 6:44AM #5
allan444

Nov 14, 2014 -- 9:47AM, dancymisha wrote:

Trying to find another church isn't an option right now.  My daughter is older and it's hard enough to get her out on a Sunday to go to church and she is very against trying to find somewhere new…………..“Another thing I was missing from the bigger church was a sense of closeness with God's word and actual teaching from the Bible.  While they read passages every now and then the Lutheran service was much more Bible based………….

Sounds like you are where  your should be.  Your daughter might like the ELCA church more , but as you say "trying to find another church isn't an option right now.". Also if your  emphasis is on "actual teaching from the Bible"  you seem  to be in the right place for that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2014 - 3:21AM #6
Roymond

I have found this to be the case frequently:  the truly conservative churches which have carried forward the best of the ancient church lack the enthusias, while the enthusiastic churches have lost the anchor and -- however much they announce themselves to be "Bible believing" -- thus the teaching of the scriptures.

Unless I know the particular place and am familiar with the congregations in question, though, I refrain from making recommendations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2015 - 2:05PM #7
arabianhorselover

It seems to me that we should not be choosing a church based on it's ability to entertain us.  I also attend a LCMS church.  It is very small, everyone knows everyone, and it is toally bible-based.  It may not be exciting, but the congregation consists of true believers.  I was born and raised in the ELCA.  At this point in time I would rather attend the LCMS church due to some of the things which are now found acceptable in the ELCA.

God Has Always Been With Me - Even Though I Haven't Realized It.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook