Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Changes to Sunday service
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2014 - 6:08PM #1
palomas
I don't go to Sunday services often, but I went today, and was surprised at several changes. The offering was earlier in the service than it had been. We were invited to kneel for the silent prayer, whereas before, we would just stay seated. Some other things were read (such as the tenets of Christian Science), that I don't remember being read before.

I wonder if the Sunday services at all Christian Science churches have changed, or just the one I go to? Does each branch church have flexibility in how they conduct the Sunday service?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2014 - 6:23PM #2
Courtenay

Hello Palomas!

It's quite simple - today's service happened to be a Communion service, which is held twice a year in Christian Science branch churches, on the second Sunday in January and July (when the Lesson-Sermon subject is Sacrament). The Communion service follows a slightly different order from the ordinary service, as you noticed - the collection is taken before the Lesson-Sermon, the Tenets of Christian Science are read out, and there is an extra session of silent prayer, kneeling down, before the final hymn, which is always the Communion Doxology ("Be Thou, O God, exalted high").

You can read the order of services as given in the Manual of The Mother Church for both the regular service and Communion service at these links:

christianscience.com/read-online/manual-...

christianscience.com/read-online/manual-...

Incidentally, The Mother Church itself doesn't follow this special order for the Sacrament Lesson - it's only done in branch churches.

Hope that makes sense! Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2014 - 6:36PM #3
palomas

Thanks for the answer!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2014 - 6:38PM #4
Courtenay

You're very welcome. Wink 

Quick Reply