Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2014 - 11:07AM #1
Pensive
I am sad to post that Sandy Whalen, known as Shaner, passed away yesterday.  I do not know the details of her passing, but do know she had been struggling with health issues these last years.  She was a moderator on Beliefnet for some time and was known by many here on the board.  Rest in Peace my friend.  You shall be missed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2014 - 6:02PM #2
cove52

I shared this at the "Discussion" board.  I have not been to beliefnet in quite some time and wasn't even sure if the Ave Maria board still existed...

I met Sandy (Shaner) here at these discussion boards around 10 years ago.  Our friendship went beyond this discussion group to emails and eventually an open friendship on facebook. I never had the pleasure of meeting Sandy in person.  The fact that she was able to touch my life is such a postive way over the internet is testament to the kind of person she was.  I will always remember her kind sweet nature and will truly miss her.

I only learned back in December that she had been struggling with health issues throughout last year.  Even with the physical challenges she faced, she was in good spirits and expressed how grateful she was to be alive.  I really felt she was going to be around for a long time.  I was shocked to see her son's facebook post.  It stopped me in my tracks.  Sandy loved elephants and often shared pictures and stories on FB about them.  This past Sunday I happened see a news program that featured the plight of the African elephant and I thought of her.  That moment came back to me when I realized that she had passed peacefully in her sleep Sunday morning.

I believe she initially came to beliefnet to start an online grief support group after the death of her beloved son Shane.  She is now reunited with him in heaven.  I know she is truly at peace. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have been considered her "friend".

Some of her last posts on FB was her delight in seeing the Canadian women and men hockey teams win gold.  I know she was a huge hockey fan and am so glad, the very proud Canadian that she was, was able to enjoy the Olympic moment.

Sandy introduced me to the (((hugs))) icon.  I will always think of her when I use it to spread the type of love and caring she was well known for.

I know now she is enjoying {{{AngelHugs}}}.

(((HUGS))) and Rest in Peace my dear friend!   

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2014 - 11:39AM #3
Merope

Thank you, Pensive, for starting this thread in memory of Sandy (aka Shaner).

I only knew her as a Beliefnet colleague and host.  I found her to be very kind, loving, thoughtful, and wise.  And I saw these qualities come shining through all she did.  She gave graciously of her time and talent.

I'm very sad to hear of her death, and I extend my condolences to her family and loved ones.  She will be missed.

She's now resting in peace in the arms of Love.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2014 - 12:15PM #4
Stardove

May Sandy rest in peace.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2014 - 12:45PM #5
rangerken

One of Belifnet's long time moderators, nickname Shaner, who was a host on this forum, has passed away.

Shaner was a distinctly compassionate, friendly and wonderful host and we miss her.

Rest in peace, Shaner.

Rangerken, Beliefnet Community-wide Moderator

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2014 - 1:45PM #6
world citizen

I didn't know Sandy and our paths never crossed here at Beliefnet, but I understand she was a kind and loving soul.  My condolences to her family and loved ones.  I will say a prayer for her soul in my evening devotions.

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love.  ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2014 - 3:59PM #7
Thomas A Quinas

She was a very gratious soul who knew how to maintain a peaceful environment.  I remember when she started the A lighter Topic? :-) thread on the heals of another that got a little serious.  Kind to a fault (if that be possible).

I'm very sad to learn of her situation.

Cordially,

Thomas

Holiness consists simply in doing God's will, and being just what God wants us to be.. -- St. Therese of Lisieux. For applicable reads: Uniformity with God’s Will by Saint Alphonsus Liguori ... or ... Story of a Soul
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2014 - 1:35PM #8
Pensive

Hello folks.

Its very nice to see my dear friend Sandy is still remembered here.  I'm sure she is thrilled to know this too.  I already missed her e-mails and messages on Facebook.  She was a kind soul to saint and sinner alike.  I look forward to seeing her and her son shaner someday face to face. If any of you would like to friend me on Facebook I would be happy to accept.  Search for "Wilson Santiago" in Park Forest and that will be me.  Just make sure to add "Beliefnet" in the request so I will know who you are.  Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook