Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do you all enjoy cooking? What are your favourite dishes to cook? (OFF TOPIC!)
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2013 - 5:58PM #1
holst
What do you all enjoy cooking?  What are you good at making?  Do you have a favourite dish?

I am no culinary genious, though I often enjoy the process of cooking.  Preparing things, marinating, sasoning, and then cooking.  I guess I enjoy working the outdoor grill the most - doing steaks, chops, fish, vegetables, roasts, whole turkeys, and more.

How about all of you? 
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2013 - 7:15PM #2
Spokang

Everything!

I got a Big Green Egg for Christmas 2 years ago; I love to BBQ on it, even when there is 6 feet of snow on the ground.

I make my own pasta with a pasta machine.

I like French cuisine, so I dabble a bit in that area.

Currently, I'm testing gluten free communion wafers.  Our priest wants everyone to eat from the same loaf, so a dear ol' soul is making wafers.  They are horrible.  They taste like gingerbread men.  One week they were so thick, I could have sliced it and made a sandwich with it. This week's wafers were about the consistency of poker chips.  I bought a Red Mill gluten free flour yesterday and the wafers I made today were not bad. Buying gluten free wafers would raise the cost in the budget from $200 to $2000.

What is your specialty?

Jim

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2013 - 7:23PM #3
Dutch777

Dec 2, 2013 -- 5:58PM, holst wrote:

What do you all enjoy cooking?  What are you good at making?  Do you have a favourite dish?

I am no culinary genious, though I often enjoy the process of cooking.  Preparing things, marinating, sasoning, and then cooking.  I guess I enjoy working the outdoor grill the most - doing steaks, chops, fish, vegetables, roasts, whole turkeys, and more.

How about all of you? 

Well then, let's  bring this back onto topic.

I do TEC / CoE cuisine.  (How's that for a swing back onto the A/E Board ?).

No, I don't enjoy cooking; I just loath starving.

I bake chicken, breaded sea fish, not much red meat at all, lots of salads with X-tra virgin olive oil w/ red wine vinegar & lots of crushed garlic; toasted cheese sandwiches, stir-fried veggies, brown rice, whole wheat bread, pasta and sauce and grated cheese, lots of different stuff.  To make things more interesting, I drown everything reasonably possible with gravy, made from powdered gravy mix and doused with Worstershire sauce.  I also bake  Paul Newman's pizza; about the best store bought pizza available, and a percent of the company's profits go to charity. Cheese, eggs  and live-culture Greek yoghurt, fruit, berries, nuts and miscellaneous enter into my diet too.   I'm nutrition conscious; that's part of my training.  I keep the egregious junk food largely out of my diet, except on special occasions --- stuff like hot dogs, "prepared" meats, and sugary things.

Every day I make one quart of tea --- 2 parts black tea; 1 part green tea --- no sugar but with lemon juice.  This gives me a mixture of epigallitan catanate and thearubigen anti-oxidents. (Those I've spelled wrong also; but who cares?)  I Never make, consume, or advise cucumber sandwiches or beige soup.

I know Jim is blanching and wretching at this description of my culinary skills; he's a gourmet chef.  He'll have some  really yummy delights when he logs on. Smile 

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2013 - 7:43PM #4
Spokang

Dec 2, 2013 -- 7:23PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Dec 2, 2013 -- 5:58PM, holst wrote:

How about all of you? 

Well then, let's  bring this back onto topic.

I do TEC / CoE cuisine.  (How's that for a swing back onto the A/E Board ?).

No, I don't enjoy cooking; I just loath starving.

I bake chicken, breaded sea fish, not much red meat at all, lots of salads with X-tra virgin olive oil w/ red wine vinegar & lots of crushed garlic; toasted cheese sandwiches, stir-fried veggies, brown rice, whole wheat bread, pasta and sauce and grated cheese, lots of different stuff.  To make things more interesting, I drown everything reasonably possible with gravy, made from powdered gravy mix and doused with Worstershire sauce.  I also bake  Paul Newman's pizza; about the best store bought pizza available, and a percent of the company's profits go to charity. Cheese, eggs  and live-culture Greek yoghurt, fruit, berries, nuts and miscellaneous enter into my diet too.   I'm nutrition conscious; that's part of my training.  I keep the egregious junk food largely out of my diet, except on special occasions --- stuff like hot dogs, "prepared" meats, and sugary things.

Every day I make one quart of tea --- 2 parts black tea; 1 part green tea --- no sugar but with lemon juice.  This gives me a mixture of epigallitan catanate and thearubigen anti-oxidents. (Those I've spelled wrong also; but who cares?)  I Never make, consume, or advise cucumber sandwiches or beige soup.

I know Jim is blanching and wretching at this description of my culinary skills; he's a gourmet chef.  He'll have some  really yummy delights when he logs on.  

You could cook for me any old time. Everything up to the gravy because...I have biscuits and gravy once a year (I am a southern boy, after all)...I could be a gravy addict. However, I get around that by calling all my gravies, sauces. 

Same thing with hot-dogs. And pizza. I love them to much and would become as wide as I am tall.

I do love cucumber sandwiches and English brown soups.

And mince meat pies.  D bastardized the one we baked on Saturday with a layer of Granny Smith apples. He hates mince meat.

However, just about anything on the stove or oven is acceptable if washed down with a fine Washington wine.

Jim

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2013 - 7:54PM #5
Dutch777

As ever, Jim has taught me something new: brown soup.  So --- I had to do some research.

www.foodsofengland.co.uk/brownwindsorsou...

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2013 - 8:07PM #6
Spokang

Dec 2, 2013 -- 7:54PM, Dutch777 wrote:

As ever, Jim has taught me something new: brown soup.  So --- I had to do some research.

www.foodsofengland.co.uk/brownwindsorsou...

Nyum nyum!

And there is a white version, too.

jim

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2013 - 9:13PM #7
holst

Oh my, I am salvating just reading all this!

Olive Oil is good for every part of your body inside and out.  I try and use it as often as I can.  And there is alot of evidence that garlic is good for the heart.

Gravy -- it's good for the soul.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2013 - 8:44AM #8
Dutch777

Dec 2, 2013 -- 9:13PM, holst wrote:

Olive Oil is good for every part of your body inside and out.  

Just rub it all over and dive into a group rave.  Laughing

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2013 - 8:57AM #9
Spokang

Dec 3, 2013 -- 8:44AM, Dutch777 wrote:

Dec 2, 2013 -- 9:13PM, holst wrote:

Olive Oil is good for every part of your body inside and out.  

Just rub it all over and dive into a group rave.  

1/4 cup in your bath water, occasionally. Good for dry skin.  Romans used it as a scraping/cleaning element for the skin.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2013 - 9:15AM #10
RJMcElwain

I'm a sporatic chef, mostly on the grill. The most exciting adventure recently was grilling Alligator for the first time. Not bad. Tastes like pork chops.Wink

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook