Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View ATHEIST CHURCH: SOLID MOVEMENT OR FLASH IN PAN ???
4 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2013 - 6:55PM #1
Dutch777
Seems that the Atheists are starting a "global" church, although it appears to be strictly a 1st. world phenomenon.  Any future to this?  In the vid, the bearded leader strikes me as a histrionic equine fundament.  Comments ?

www.news.yahoo.com/why-atheists-starting...
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2013 - 10:10AM #2
Stumbler

The Philadelphia Ethical Society has been holding Sunday meetings since 1876.

www.phillyethics.org/index.php

I don't know if the "New Atheism" has increased their numbers, but I do know of at least one prominent atheist, Alain de Boton, who thinks there is a real need for some sort of atheist church. The Unitarian Society also seems to work, but I get the feeling that the Sunday Assembly is going for something a little more...Pentecostal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2013 - 6:11PM #3
SeraphimR

A scene from an Atheist Church meeting:

Here

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

http://takimag.com/article/the_ugly_truth_theodore_dalrymple
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2013 - 7:15PM #4
Nino0814

Atheism is not a belief.  It is simply an absence of belief in a god.  I guess even some atheists get stuck on the need to fill their absence of belief in a god with something.

Imagine a group of non-astrologers  writing words to guide your day but stressing the point that the guidance has nothing to due with the positions of the stars because they reject astrology.  One might say that they "protest to much" their lack of belief.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2013 - 11:13PM #5
JimRigas

Sep 25, 2013 -- 7:15PM, Nino0814 wrote:

Atheism is not a belief.  It is simply an absence of belief in a god.

But first an atheist must describe what god he does not believe in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2013 - 9:19AM #6
Dutch777

[/quote]

But first an atheist must describe what god he does not believe in.

[/quote]

Nah.

Atheists just say they don't believe in any and all Gods and let it go at that.

Personally, I prefer socializing with Agnostics.  They're less dogmatic and belligerent.

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2013 - 1:07PM #7
Stumbler

Sep 25, 2013 -- 7:15PM, Nino0814 wrote:

Atheism is not a belief.  It is simply an absence of belief in a god.  I guess even some atheists get stuck on the need to fill their absence of belief in a god with something.

Of course atheism is a belief. It's part of a set of beliefs about the way the world is.

I suppose there might be someone who has never pondered the question of whether the natural order was created, or whether there's some person behind it all, and it might make sense to describe such an individual in terms the absence of belief in God, but it would be odd to call him an atheist.

Atheists are those who have considered the idea that God exists and rejected it. That is a judgment and a judgment is precisely a coming to believe something.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2013 - 4:50PM #8
JimRigas

Oct 1, 2013 -- 1:07PM, Stumbler wrote:

Atheists are those who have considered the idea that God exists and rejected it. That is a judgment and a judgment is precisely a coming to believe something.

Exactly.  And in order to consider whether God exists they must first imagine a particular type of God, with certain powers and characteristics..

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2013 - 6:50PM #9
Nino0814

A Naturalist may by her / his own worldview reject gods, and the spiritual.  Their particular view of Naturalism is their belief, which disables (for them) a belief in gods.  Therefore they are atheists. 

Their have been countless people who had no belief in any gods, and have not considered it.   Since they do not hold a belief in gods they are atheists in the same way as the Naturalist.  

Thesism is a belief, and atheism is the absence of that belief.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2013 - 11:56PM #10
JimRigas

How can one maintain that a whatyoumaycallit does not exist when he does not know what a whatyoumaycallit is?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook