Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View ELCA 25th Anniversary
4 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2013 - 11:18PM #1
teilhard

Twenty five Years ... !!!  They went by very quickly ...

I was a Delegate (we weren't called "Voting Members" back then) to the ALC National Convention (we didn't call it an "Assembly" back then) in 1978 ...

The LCA and The AELC (Refugees from The LCMS Purges of the 1970s)  were meeting at the same Time ... The AELC Folks issued "A Call to Lutheran Union," which The LCA overwhelmingly readily adopted ... The ALC, freshly reorganized only a couple Years earlier, was ... reluctant ... but voted to change the NAME of our "Commission on Lutheran Unity" to the "Commission on Lutheran Union" ... I realized immediately that it was going to be a *done*Deal* -- only a Matter of Details and Timing ...

Was it a good Idea ... ???  The "New Church" has been much more awkwardly formed than anyone initially anticipated ... and many Fears were voiced by some about whether or not "the Center" would "hold" ...

Thoughts ... ???  Feelings ... ??? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2013 - 3:11PM #2
Jupiter6208

Finally some  life on this board would like to talk to fellow Lutherans but it seems so dead. I for one Support the ELCA just as i would any Progressive Denomination and i know there are some who disagree with the direction the Church has taken so about 600-800 Churches left is that right? It was bound to happen but i believe in it's Mission. God Loves All.(God's work our hands)

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2013 - 7:10PM #3
teilhard

More worrying than the few hundred Congregations that have "bailed" ... is the general weakening of many Congregations and The ELCA Churchwide ...

Much of that of course afflicts MOST major Church Groups (Denominations) ... ALL Traditional Main Stream People of Faith are in general swimming AGAINST a Cultural Tide that encourages Abandonment or at least compromise or at least loosening of ALL particular Loyalties and Affiliations in favor of a *shop*around* Mentality ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2013 - 7:39AM #4
Jupiter6208

The supposed weakening of the denomination is happening to all the denominations. Christianity is Changing and I'm all for it.

it's the how you should believe and worship mentality is what's keeping people away from Church especially young people. I'm 50 and it keeps me away..

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2013 - 12:37AM #5
teilhard

NOBODY was disappointed or surprised that Mark Hanson wasn't re-elected to be ArchBishop of The ELCA ... ????

Interesting ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2013 - 9:37AM #6
Jupiter6208

I think it's because of all the cobwebs in this forum. I for one think it's a great thing that a new Bishop was elected. other than that...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2013 - 11:42AM #7
teilhard

*crickets*

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook