Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View PCUSA Losses=102,791 for last year
4 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2013 - 2:42PM #1
CalKnox
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2014 - 11:20AM #2
Talbott
This is largely because entire congregations left after 2012 GA to join the more (but not ultra) conservative ECO or EPC (both still allow for female teaching elders) due to issues of sexual orientation equality. Most of the entire congregations that are going to leave have likely already done so, and many scholars expect the dramatic decrease to slow. Conservative Presbyterian groups (Fellowship of Presbyterians & Presbyterians for Renewal) have largely said they will stay at the table following this year's GA in keeping with Christ's prayer "that they may all be one" and acknowledging there will always be tough issues on which the whole church won't agree. Other religious scholars have suggested that now is the time the PC(USA) can GROW because of the tough decisions we've made in recent years, such as this: www.christiancentury.org/blogs/archive/2...

Either way, there's many things to consider behind the numbers, and much of it is being felt among mainline denominations as a whole, not just the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2014 - 1:04AM #3
Doohickie

Interesting.

The recent shifts toward more liberal positions actually bonds me more closely to the PCUSA.

My wife and I might count in the losses though.  We left our old church last year (not sure if they even care enough to remove us, but that was part of the problem).  We've been attending another congregation but haven't formally joined yet.

The new congregation, incidentally, has a more traditional worship service but a more liberal pastor than our old one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2015 - 3:03AM #4
Talbott

I think it's important we are honest about the fact that some of the congregations that have left the PC(USA) were among the largest (and wealthiest)... but under the 1001 new worshipping communities project/program we have actually added MORE new congregations and new worshipping communities than we have lost. The losses for the PC(USA) are no more dramatic than the losses all of mainline Protestantism is experiencing right now. The Southern Baptists are also seeing losses --- so obviously it's not conservatism that will prevent loss or else they'd be growing by leaps and bounds!

More than anything, though, I think it's a time for those of us in the PC(USA) to rejoice that we are erring on the side of LOVE... and to think about all the opportunity for growth now... all the folks who we have opened our doors to now that we have excluded and discriminated against through the ages. I am PROUD to be a PC(USA) Presbyterian! 

Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook