Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Switch to Forum Live View 2012 General Conference was a Travesty
5 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2012 - 8:41PM #1
Nenkohai
Posts: 17
Because of this past year's General Conference (and it was ugly, folks), I've slashed my giving by 65%. I've stipulated the remaining 35% only go to local outreach. I will not have any of my giving go towards apportionments for the global church.

Folks, I suggest you do some research. The global UMC is on the verge of some major changes. 

NK Karl 
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2012 - 5:06AM #2
Mlayton
Posts: 3

Can you explain just what you think is a travesty? WHat was proposed, or not proposed, or actually done? This Methodist is curious. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2012 - 9:37AM #3
Nenkohai
Posts: 17

Hi Mlayton,


I hope I don't come off as angry at you or any one individual... I am not most certainly. I am very angry at the leaders of our denomination.


I don't have all the answers about what happened, but the general is this:


With  the African contingent of the global UMC gaining majority (yes, majority), they are imposing cultural taboos into the global church. In conjunction with the more conservative parts of the UMC, any effective discussion about where the church stands on homosexuality was tabled. Not discussed. The progressive side begged that it be openly discussed and suggested that language be entered into the Book of Discipline that indicated that the Church is divided on the question of homosexuality but discussion continues. This was struck down by conservative factions.


While I have my personal views on this, what is discouraging to me (a United Methodist, at least according to membership rolls) is that even the discussion was blocked.


Additionally, it was reported (by no official document, of course, but by delegates and attending clergy) that much money was spent/wasted in what was tantamount to lobbying efforts. Money, as I understand, that came from the General Conference itself.


Parliamentary procedures where barely maintained. Chaos was prevalent in the general sessions.


I've re-directed all my giving to the church to local outreach. I do not want any of my giving to go to global church apportionments if this is how my denomination is going to be administered. In fact, they risk retaining my membership.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2012 - 1:02AM #4
Mlayton
Posts: 3

Thanks for the information. I must admit I'm not very up on what's going on with the denomination; I've been focusing on studying John Wesley this last while, which is good but it's meant I haven't made as much time to follow the UMC current events. Only so many hours in the day, you know. :-) I"ll look into some of the things you mentioned.


Btw, a friend mentioned a post over at HuffPo about Catholics wanting to support their parish without funding the anti-gay advertising the RCC church seemed to be going in for these days. The suggestion was to buy gift cards to the grocery store or gas or whatever and give those to the priest. I wonder if something like that would work for you? The idea was they couldn't be exchanged for cash.

Quick Reply
Cancel
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook