Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2012 - 9:59PM #1
Jupiter6208
Found this interesting article your thoughts?

www.patheos.com/blogs/davidhenson/2012/0...
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2012 - 11:15PM #2
Dutch777

Yes, I am aware that "dog" is one of several anti-Gentile slurs used in the Jewish Community.  Rabbi Meier Kahane called Arabs "dogs".  I'm also aware that Jesus used the term toward the SyroPhoenician woman.  Big deal.

Besides, it's my job to stir the $#!+.  Laughing

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 12:46AM #3
MsTopaz

Sep 4, 2012 -- 11:15PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Yes, I am aware that "dog" is one of several anti-Gentile slurs used in the Jewish Community.  Rabbi Meier Kahane called Arabs "dogs".  I'm also aware that Jesus used the term toward the SyroPhoenician woman.  Big deal.

Dutch, your signature says, "The Socratic Standard:  Follow the evidence;____ if it doesn't make sense, it's bull$#!+."

It doesn't make sense that Jesus would be racist. Therefore, it must be...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:20AM #4
Estacia

Read Genisis, Then ask yourself that question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:38AM #5
SeraphimR

Sep 5, 2012 -- 12:46AM, MsTopaz wrote:

Dutch, your signature says, "The Socratic Standard:  Follow the evidence;____ if it doesn't make sense, it's bull$#!+."

Certainly it makes sense.  The Jews are the Chosen People and Jesus was sent to them, was one of them.

Instead of trying to fit Christ to the Politically Correct Procrustean Bed of American Liberalism, try to imagine how a Greek in Corinth or Antioch would have heard the story.  This hypothetical Greek didn't know about racism, after all.  Racism is a post Darwinian concept.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 11:02AM #6
Dutch777

Sep 5, 2012 -- 12:46AM, MsTopaz wrote:

Quite the contrary.  Facticity is always evidentiary.

"Dog" is the Jewish term of contempt for a non-Jew, whether in Hebrew (kalbah:female dog), Aramaic (oblk) or contemporary Yiddish (hint).

After all, if one thinks that one's ethnic group is "God's Chosen People", then all others must perforce be "Unchosen", outside God's promised Kingdom, and therefore  contemptable.  Jesus was a product of His time, place and culture; otherwise He wouldn't have been human, and we'd all be Docetists.  Nicht wahr ?

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 6:25PM #7
singer_rcp

Yes, Jesus used a racist slur.  Clearly, without a doubt.  But,and this is the moral of this story, he also clearly heard the response of the woman.  He clearly listened and responded to her, in compassion and in a lesson learned.  That's what this story tells us.  Clearly Jesus was raised in a culture that despised anyone who was not born into it.  Clearly, he expressed that in this story, but he had his mind opened and responded by breaking the pattern of this life time of learning.  I wonder if we, any of us, could be so quick to do the same?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 7:07PM #8
Nino0814

I think it is a sign of Anglicanism's strength when a subject as sensititive as racism can be discussed honestly without sugar coating or rationalizations for the Biblical record.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2012 - 7:45AM #9
slate

As an African-American,  I would like to shed some light on this.  The n-word is simply a corruption of the word,"Negro".  Most of the slaves were Negroes from Africa.  Originally, there was nothing wrong with the use of the word, it was just a lazy mispronunciation.  It became more sinsiter, however, when slavery was ended and mistreatment of the former slaves began.  By the time I was born, in 1935, the word had taken on the connotations that we now have for it. 

Likewise, we cannot judge how the term, "dog" was used at the time Jesus used it.  Was it acceptable at the time?  Should the woman have been offended?  We do not know, but I certainly do not think it is appropriate to call him a racist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2012 - 9:31AM #10
Dutch777

Irrespective of time, place, language and culture, it is exceedingly difficult to understand how calling a person a "dog" is a nice and endearing term.  Presumably, Jesus spoke to the woman in Aramaic, the prevalent language of the region, and used the female form of the term OBLK, i.e. "bitch".  As previously explained, "dog" and it's Hebrew, Aramaic, and Yiddish equivalents,  is an outrightly contemptuous term in Jewish culture.

Where did we ever get the idea that Jesus was Mr.Nice 24-7-52?   Let's bear in mind that Jesus' family thought He was mentally disturbed and tried to take Him home. Mk.3:21.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next