Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Can one be Catholic and Buddhist at the same time?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2012 - 1:26AM #1
introvertlui
I was born and raised Catholic but quite honestly am very attracted to Buddhism ways. There's a 3 day meditation class I joined at a local Buddhist Centre. Do I need to talk to a priest about this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2012 - 5:56AM #2
littleonebeforethethrone

1. I think you should go for it.

2. Bear in mind, that as Catholics we believe the human body and creation is essentially good, although it is corrupted, which is a little different from Buddhism which generally believes this is all an illusion - but Buddhism is so fluid in practice you can probably make it work. Like my family on my mother's side is all Buddhist and we can freely participate in their activities as far as their concerned, and we all serve the same God/goodness/etc. It's not like Christianity where you have to go through some iniation process or another exclusive religion where say you have to put down all others to be this or that.

3. If you would feel more comfortable talking to a priest maybe you should just so you don't have to worry about it. Based on my experiences though you're likely to get as many answers as priests you ask if you ask spiritual 'what should I do' type questions.

God bless, and hope it is a blessed experience for you, and you find a way to have your cake and eat it too.

Anne

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 7:09PM #3
zealot777

Aug 19, 2012 -- 1:26AM, introvertlui wrote:

I was born and raised Catholic but quite honestly am very attracted to Buddhism ways. There's a 3 day meditation class I joined at a local Buddhist Centre. Do I need to talk to a priest about this?

Absolutely not. And you cannot do anything without a blessing from your priest. The very idea of wanting to be a Buddhist, indicates that you think they have something [superior to] to the faith you already have, which is ludicrous. If you practice Buddhism, you will fall under the historic anathemas of Orthodox and Catholics tradition.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2012 - 8:55PM #4
CLBERNADETTEH

Aug 19, 2012 -- 1:26AM, introvertlui wrote:

you cant be both at the same time its wrong!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2012 - 8:56PM #5
CLBERNADETTEH

and your preist will not give you a blessing on this

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2012 - 3:38AM #6
Avemaria2002

No, you are either Catholic or you are Buddhist.  You cannot be both.  Catholicism is not a cafeteria where you can pick and choose what to believe and what not to believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2012 - 6:01PM #7
CLBERNADETTEH

Nov 1, 2012 -- 3:38AM, Avemaria2002 wrote:

No, you are either Catholic or you are Buddhist.  You cannot be both.  Catholicism is not a cafeteria where you can pick and choose what to believe and what not to believe.

agreed

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2012 - 10:20AM #8
Mysty101

Hi all, and welcome,

This does really need to be discussed with a Spiritual director or confessor.  We certainly may learn about other religions, and even some of their "prayers" as long as we do not practice anything against Catholic teaching.  

God bless you in your journey.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2013 - 7:18AM #9
Tburneka
I would talk with a priest but will tell you there are a lot of meditation techniques that Buddhist  have developed that we can learn from to help us in our prayer life. Thomas Merton was very interested in these techniques and very open. Just because we are learning something from someone of another faith tradition doesn't  make it wrong provided you're not trying to mix our faith traditions together and believe,  from a relative perspective, that all faith trading are equal or have the same truth. If your not trying to do this I see nothing wrong with what your doing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2013 - 1:50AM #10
Dhammachick

You could try reading "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Nhat Hanh. He highlights the similarities between Christianity and Buddhism.

I'm a returning Catholic myself, so I'm nowhere near as judgemental as some on here, as I've actually ventured outside the faith and schooled myself on other paths.

I think you can practise Buddhist meditations with no problems as Buddhism is NON theistic. There is no stance on God at all. I found mindfulness meditation - which has nothing to do with any deity or non deity at all, quite helpful in praying to God to give me guidance on several issues - including whether or not to return to Catholicism.

You can message me here if you would like to discuss this any further.

God Bless,
Dhamma 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook