Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 3:34PM #1
RJMcElwain

So, would you eat there?

I had my first Chick fil A about a year ago, and they're delicious. I didn't ask about their politics or theology at the time. Of course, I've never asked about the politics or theology of McDonalds, Ralph Lauren, K Mart, Coors Beer or Coca Cola. I don't like Jane Fonda or Tom Cruise, but I enjoy their acting abilities.

Any other perspectives?Innocent 

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 3:39PM #2
MsTopaz

Jul 30, 2012 -- 3:34PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

So, would you eat there?

No. I don't want my money going to an organization that funds the fight against marriage equality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 5:08PM #3
RJMcElwain

Jul 30, 2012 -- 3:39PM, MsTopaz wrote:

So, would you eat there?

No. I don't want my money going to an organization that funds the fight against marriage equality.

I don't either. OTOH, I buy gasoline for my car which supports Exxon, Shell, BP and all those other nasty polluters. I own a bicycle and could ride it instead of driving. But I like driving.

I can't screen or filter everyone's opinions on all subjects before using their products. Maybe it's fortunate that we don't know the politics of most of the companies we all do business with.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 5:53PM #4
MsTopaz

I don't either. OTOH, I buy gasoline for my car which supports Exxon, Shell, BP and all those other nasty polluters. I own a bicycle and could ride it instead of driving. But I like driving.

I can't screen or filter everyone's opinions on all subjects before using their products. Maybe it's fortunate that we don't know the politics of most of the companies we all do business with.

I might not be able to be perfect but I do know the politics of many companies and I change my spending habits accordingly.

Collective action can make a difference.

research.yougov.com/news/2012/07/27/chck...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 6:42PM #5
Dutch777

Unquestionably, the chicken man has the right to hold and express his opinions, and others have the right to agree or disagree with him.  What he does not have the right to do is transform his personal opinions into company policy which violate the rights of his employees and customers.  I don't believe he has done so.  I am one who disagrees with him.

Would I boycott his chicken eateries?  I'm not aware of any chick-a-fil locations near where I live.  In any case, I cook my chicken at home and eat at home.  That way, I don't have to put up with other peoples' obnoxious children or sloppy, disgusting table manners.  I can also let loose with a good, hefty fart and not feel embarassed.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 8:06PM #6
MsTopaz

Jul 30, 2012 -- 6:42PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Unquestionably, the chicken man has the right to hold and express his opinions, and others have the right to agree or disagree with him.  What he does not have the right to do is transform his personal opinions into company policy which violate the rights of his employees and customers.  I don't believe he has done so.  I am one who disagrees with him.

Unfortunately, the chicken man is doing more than express opinions. This article sums it up well: www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2012/0...

I don't know why so many journalists can't spell Chick-Fil-A.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 9:36PM #7
RJMcElwain

When I think about situations such as this, I sometimes think of the intolerance of some of our Bishops of the Southern Cone and various other parts of the Communion. On similar issues as this, it's either their way or no way. Then I ask myself, do I want to be as intolerant as them on the opposite side?

Robert J. McElwain

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 10:08PM #8
Dutch777

Ms.Topaz,

Mr. Cathy the chicken maven can fund whatever causes he likes.  It's his right to do so.  People may continue buying his product or boycot his product or think up some other course of action, as their creativity so moves them.  This type of thing happens in a free society viz. that one may or may not support whatsoever cause a person jolly well chooses.

Personally, I think his position is ignorant and retrogressive, but then, it's my right to think that and express that, and even fund some cause more consistant with my views. Sigh.  This is really a tempest in a chamber pot; society is leaving the Mr. Cathys of this world in its rearview mirror.

I wonder if he makes "extra spicy" chicken like Col. Sanders ?

BTW --- how's his cole slaw ?

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 10:15PM #9
Jupiter6208

Jul 30, 2012 -- 10:08PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Ms.Topaz,

Mr. Cathy the chicken maven can fund whatever causes he likes.  It's his right to do so.  People may continue buying his product or boycot his product or think up some other course of action, as their creativity so moves them.  This type of thing happens in a free society viz. that one may or may not support whatsoever cause a person jolly well chooses.

Personally, I think his position is ignorant and retrogressive, but then, it's my right to think that and express that, and even fund some cause more consistant with my views. Sigh.  This is really a tempest in a chamber pot; society is leaving the Mr. Cathys of this world in its rearview mirror.

I wonder if he makes "extra spicy" chicken like Col. Sanders ?

BTW --- how's his cole 

Colonel Sanders has the best slaw INMO..

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2012 - 10:24PM #10
MsTopaz

Jul 30, 2012 -- 9:36PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

When I think about situations such as this, I sometimes think of the intolerance of some of our Bishops of the Southern Cone and various other parts of the Communion. On similar issues as this, it's either their way or no way. Then I ask myself, do I want to be as intolerant as them on the opposite side?

When it comes to the rights of an oppressed minority, what level of tolerance of injustice would be appropriate? If the Bishops of the Southern Cone were arguing in favor of slavery because the Bible told them it was OK if the slaves were from a neighboring country, would we agree that they can pass laws enslaving people because that's just their religious belief?

Jul 30, 2012 -- 10:08PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Ms.Topaz,

I agree - he can fund whatever he likes. But then he shouldn't be surprised when he is criticized for his choices to the point that many people use their wallets to vote against him. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook