Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
2 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2012 - 10:53PM #41
Dutch777

Seems that Rev.Presidential Candidate Huckabee has a fellow sympatico running for senate on the Democratic ticket in Tennessee.  His name is Mark Clayton and he's got a case of swamp fever --- really, really bad.  His sojourn in LoonyLand is too complex, too colorful, for brief mention.  BTW Mark --- the capitol of Canada is Ottawa, not Toronto, but why let small considerations like truth & facticity obstruct your venture into public service, as you descend into delusional paranoia.

Amongst a variety of around-the-bend causes Mr. Clayton sponsors or is affiliated with, is his virulent, extremist anti-Gay machinations.  He's unbelievable but real. 

The Democratic Party, Tennessee has disavowed him.

www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/08/mark-clayton-tennessee-democrats-senate

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2012 - 12:49AM #42
slu_magoo

Yes, Dutch, regrettably we ended up with this clown as the Democratic nominee for Senate.  Seeing the popularity of incumbent Republican Senator Bob Corker and knowing that TN is very solidly red right now, the state Democratic Party chose to sit quietly on primary day and not field a serious candidate for the fall.  So there were several people on the primary ballot yesterday, and this jerk happens to be listed first due to his last name.  No one here had ever heard of him.  No one here knew anything about him.  Unfortunately, the same can be said of most--if not all--of the other candidates listed below him.  There's a certain advantage of being listed first -- especially when none of the candidates are known.  The guy got a whopping 48,000 votes -- in a state of 6.5 million people.

It's not the first time a political party has had to disown a nominee.  (Senator Corker, btw, is definitely conservative -- but he's not a raging tea party nut.  And there is a difference.  Stay here a few days and you'll quickly see.  So if we're stuck with the Republican, we could do a whole lot worse.)

Anyway, my pick yesterday for the Senate nomination was C-list actor (or 'actress' in these parts) Park Overall.  She's a sweetheart, witty, smart, and would have been fun to watch in a debate.  Unfortunately, her C-list status made her as much an unknown as all the others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2012 - 1:19PM #43
RJMcElwain

Good point here.

www.episcopalcafe.com/lead/sexuality/whe...

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2012 - 1:51PM #44
MsTopaz

Aug 6, 2012 -- 1:19PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Good point here.

Yes. My favorite part: "...when you speak and act in ways that seek to limit the civil liberties, increase the risk of discrimination and violence, and damage the psychological and spiritual well-being of me and people like me as a group, you are not being loving. You are not being compassionate. And, for what it’s worth, you don’t come off as particularly Christian, either—at least not the kind of Christian that anyone would recognize through a cursory scan of Jesus’ teachings."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2012 - 3:31PM #45
RJMcElwain

Aug 6, 2012 -- 1:51PM, MsTopaz wrote:

Aug 6, 2012 -- 1:19PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Good point here.

Yes. My favorite part: "...when you speak and act in ways that seek to limit the civil liberties, increase the risk of discrimination and violence, and damage the psychological and spiritual well-being of me and people like me as a group, you are not being loving. You are not being compassionate. And, for what it’s worth, you don’t come off as particularly Christian, either—at least not the kind of Christian that anyone would recognize through a cursory scan of Jesus’ teachings."

I drove past a Chick fil A awhile ago, and the lines are still long. OTOH, it got me to thinking, what if I refused to take Communion on Sunday mornings with anyone whose views were  different than mine? I suspect I'd be vey lonely at the rail.Foot in Mouth

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2012 - 4:40PM #46
Dutch777

[/quote]
what if I refused to take Communion on Sunday mornings with anyone whose views were  different than mine? I suspect I'd be vey lonely at the rail.Foot in Mouth[/quote]

Isn't that exactly what some African bps. did to PBKJS ?

How often I've heard Africans say "you may be more advanced than us scientifically and technologically (ho boy ! Ain't that the truth !) ---

but we're more advanced spiritually" (don't bet the ranch on that one).

It's so comforting to live in one's own fantasy world --- until hard, cold Reality intrudes.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2012 - 5:13PM #47
RJMcElwain

Aug 18, 2012 -- 4:40PM, Dutch777 wrote:

what if I refused to take Communion on Sunday mornings with anyone whose views were  different than mine? I suspect I'd be vey lonely at the rail.Foot in Mouth

Isn't that exactly what some African bps. did to PBKJS ?

How often I've heard Africans say "you may be more advanced than us scientifically and technologically (ho boy ! Ain't that the truth !) ---

but we're more advanced spiritually" (don't bet the ranch on that one).

It's so comforting to live in one's own fantasy world --- until hard, cold Reality intrudes.

Tolerance, in all arenas, seems to have gone out of fashion.

Robert J. McElwain

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2012 - 8:02PM #48
MsTopaz

Aug 18, 2012 -- 3:31PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

I drove past a Chick fil A awhile ago, and the lines are still long. OTOH, it got me to thinking, what if I refused to take Communion on Sunday mornings with anyone whose views were  different than mine? I suspect I'd be vey lonely at the rail.

If I found out a particular church was donating money to the same groups that Chick-Fil-A does, I would no longer attend that church. Really, does this seem controversial?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2012 - 8:31PM #49
Nino0814

Aug 18, 2012 -- 8:02PM, MsTopaz wrote:

Aug 18, 2012 -- 3:31PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

I drove past a Chick fil A awhile ago, and the lines are still long. OTOH, it got me to thinking, what if I refused to take Communion on Sunday mornings with anyone whose views were  different than mine? I suspect I'd be vey lonely at the rail.

If I found out a particular church was donating money to the same groups that Chick-Fil-A does, I would no longer attend that church. Really, does this seem controversial?

It would depend on your motivation.  There is nothing wrong with not supporting an organization whose ideas you find morally offensive at its core; in fact it is the moral thing to do.  

Some on the other hand "bolt for the door" any time they do not get their way. They are socially immature.  People like this will "church jump" when they cannot control other people.  They are generally intolerant of other opinions and do not work well with others.

I highly doubt that you fall into the latter camp! Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook