Switch to Forum Live View Colorado Springs Fires
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:08PM #1
JoanTreese
Hello All!  First of all, Chuck and I are safe.  We live in the SE of COS and the fire is in NW COS.

I was in New Hampshire for a family reunion when the fire broke out. I didn't return home until Monday evening. 

As for the fire... all hell literally broke loose on Tuesday. We had temps of 101, 9% humidity, and 65 MPH winds. The absolute perfect conditions for fueling the fire. What was a 5,000+ acre fire turned to over 10,000+ acres. No homes had been lost until Tuesday.  We're now at over 18,000 acres on fire with 5% containment.  32,000 people have been evacuated and approximately 400 home destroyed. Thanks be to God no deaths and no injuries.

My church has opened up our parish hall for parishoners who have been displaced.  Tuesday night a group of us called every parish family to assess if they were safe and if they could take parishoners into their homes if needed.  The calls I made had only 1 family thinking on evacing even though they were not in a pre-evac area.

The smoke has covered virtually the entire county.  Needless to say, health alerts are out there. So far the hospitals have only had folks going in for smoke/respiratory problems.  

Please keep us in your prayers especially the 1,000 firefighters who are fighting this battle.          
Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 5:25PM #2
Dutch777

Joan,

Thank you for the info check-in.  I had you & family in my prayers last night.  I'll include y'all and the firefighters until this confligration is over.  I figure if we all pray for rain and have the local indian shamens do their thing, maybe the heavens will burst and a deluge will ensue.

Hang in there.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 5:44PM #3
JoanTreese

Thanks, Dutch!

It is cooler today and we "might" get some rain.  Hoping for more containment today.  Press conference @ 4 PM. I'll know more then.

Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 6:40PM #4
Spokang

In my daily scavenging for new, I came across this essay on the CO wildfires. What she wrote about  the anti-tax trend in Colorado apples equally to Texas. Last year Texas had some of the worse wildfires in its history.  In the area east of Austin over 1200 houses were destroyed, and thanks to Gov. Good Hair Perry, the firefighting effort was hampered by his having cut firefighting funding by 75%. 

Glad you are safe, Joan.

www.addictinginfo.org/2012/06/27/conserv...

Jim

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 9:09AM #5
RJMcElwain

Jun 28, 2012 -- 5:44PM, JoanTreese wrote:

Thanks, Dutch!

It is cooler today and we "might" get some rain.  Hoping for more containment today.  Press conference @ 4 PM. I'll know more then.

The pictures on this morning's news really look grim. Stay safe.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 12:34PM #6
JoanTreese

Yesterday was a better day for the firefighters.  We're now at 15% containment. Unfortunately the burnt acreage is over 16,000 acres, 347 homes destroyed and 1 death.  President Obama will be here at noon local time to view the fire and meet with local government officials.  Thanks so much for your prayers and concern.

Joan

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 11:08AM #7
JoanTreese

We are now at 95% containment with full containment expected no later then this weekend!!  The point of origin of the fire has been discovered.  Federal, state, and county officials are working to arrest the person responsible. 

I've been working in our county disaster recovery center. We're hoping to be "out of business" by next week!

Joan

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 2:56PM #8
Dutch777

That is welcomed news, Joan.  I hope the West and Southwest get some much needed rain.

I hadn't realized the fire was man-made rather than due to a lightening strike.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest