Switch to Forum Live View giving a talk - question
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 5:17PM #1
Ironhold
OK.

I got volunteered to give a talk on Sunday.

I'm writing it out now, but I'm afraid it might be just a touch on the short side.

My target time is 11 - 15 minutes.

Would six single-spaced pages equal out to about that length?

I'm thinking two minutes / page, but I'm only on page 4.

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 8:41PM #2
moksha8088

Iron, I think speeches are best if they are on a single page.  Just a bulleted list of key words or perhaps phrases (not whole sentences) just to keep on track.  Place it on the podium and only glance down occasionally.  Scan the audience as you speak and don't forget to smile.

Best wishes on your talk.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 12:46AM #3
BillThinks4Himself

Don't worry about time.  Just worry about your message.  What do you want to say?  Write a talk that's easy on the ears, combining scriptural authority with personal experiences.  Don't dwell on dramatics.  Be sincere.  Be yourself.

Plot into your talk a number of closing points, exits you can take when your time runs out.  If you do this, you won't have to force your talk to end at a certain point.  Instead, you will be able to focus on the quality of your message and speak as if it could end at any time.  

When giving the talk, just keep an eye on the clock.  Most chapels have a clock easily visible to anyone speaking from the podium, and for good reason.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 6:01PM #4
moksha8088

Jun 7, 2012 -- 12:46AM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

When giving the talk, just keep an eye on the clock.  Most chapels have a clock easily visible to anyone speaking from the podium, and for good reason.

Bill, that is a very considerate point.  Some speakers run way over time.  Too bad the Second Councilor doesn't use one of those hooked canes that they used to get Vaudeville performers off stage.  The most interesting talks have speakers who watch the time alloted.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:00AM #5
MMCSFOX

So, how did it go?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:18PM #6
Ironhold

Jun 12, 2012 -- 4:00AM, MMCSFOX wrote:

So, how did it go?

Here's the full version (note that it's on Deviant Art, so you'll need Ad Block Plus or something similar installed due to some virus scares).

It seems to have gone pretty well overall.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook