Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View New Mass Translation
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 1:55PM #11
Ed.W

Jun 26, 2012 -- 3:56PM, PMG wrote:

I really don't like it.  I think it's just a way for the pezzonovante to let us know what they can do TO us.  I would think that with all of the scandal and improprieties that the clerics dumped upon the Church that they'd have better things to do than fiddle with the language of the mass.  Then again, maybe this is a kind of escapism for them.....

You should already know that the church is not run from the bottom up without anyone having to make a display for you, unless you are a very new Catholic.

I rather think purity in worship is probably the motive.  I think "and with your spirit" for example is a much more appropriate response than "backatcha".

Have you got anything I can sink my teeth into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 4:27PM #12
PMG

Oh yes, I'm fairly new to Catholicism...baptized in June 1954 and, save for illness, haven't missed a Sunday since I was 5.

"Purity of worship" is generally the rationale given for the changes in the verbiage.  If they wanted to go back to the original language of the worship, however, they'd be using a tongue other than English or Latin.  I think it's to let the laity know who-is-who.  More "reform of the reform."  Anything to distance the Church from the Second Vatican Council.

To be honest, I've never recited "right back at 'ya" at mass, but I kind of like it. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 4:57PM #13
Ed.W

Jun 27, 2012 -- 4:27PM, PMG wrote:

Oh yes, I'm fairly new to Catholicism...baptized in June 1954 and, save for illness, haven't missed a Sunday since I was 5.

"Purity of worship" is generally the rationale given for the changes in the verbiage.  If they wanted to go back to the original language of the worship, however, they'd be using a tongue other than English or Latin.  I think it's to let the laity know who-is-who.  More "reform of the reform."  Anything to distance the Church from the Second Vatican Council.

To be honest, I've never recited "right back at 'ya" at mass, but I kind of like it. :-)

Where I go we do the Mass in English.  There may be 1 church in town that has the Latin Mass.  And we have dozens of churches.  But from the video I see that's no mistake.

But I see I'm not the only one that is bothered by the ordinary extra-ordinary Eucharistic ministers that tramp around the church throughout the Mass. 

I often wonder if they attend some other Mass that day, since they seem to be "working" so much that they receive no actual effect of having attended Mass.

Have you got anything I can sink my teeth into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook