Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How are you and your parish living the Baptismal Covenant?
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 6:31PM #1
singer_rcp

It seems to me that we have had enough theological arguments for awhile.  So I'm starting this thread on something much more practical.  I'm particularly interested in hearing about how you as individuals and the parishes you attend are living the Baptismal Covenant, with emphasis on the practical last 3 questions.

Will you proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ?

Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself?

Will you strive for justice and peace among all people and respect the dignity of every human being?

My parish works with the local homeless shelter, doing dinners twice a month for all residents.  The food and time are donated by the parish community.

In addition, I facilitate a group for people grieving deaths every Monday, nine months of the year which is open to the entire community. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:30PM #2
Dutch777

Singer,

At the beginning of the 20th. century TEC embraced the Social Gospel with the Herculian  tenacity of an octopus groping a giant clam.  TEC is known for its executing the Mt.25 gospel mandates aka "the corporal works of mercy".  TEC is so committed to the Social Gospel that wingnuts actually criticize us for this. 

So --- is there any serious question about TECies feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the shut-ins, and doing all manner of needful things for needy people?

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:59PM #3
GRobit625

I think most of the problem in the church today is because the focus has largely been reduced to that last question instead of the entire baptismal covenant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 9:20PM #4
LitanyoftheSaints

May 29, 2012 -- 8:59PM, GRobit625 wrote:

I think most of the problem in the church today is because the focus has largely been reduced to that last question instead of the entire baptismal covenant.

Huh? Care to elaborate on this?

My small, but active church has an active outreach  program that is involved with the local food bank, plus we collect food for the needy all year long, we also donate to 2 homeless shelters and collect fleece blankets for cancer patients.

"The centrality of our mission is to love each other. That means caring for our neighbors. And it does not mean bickering about fine points of doctrine."- ++KJS
http://kjsfanpage.blogspot.com/
http://chicksinpointyhats.blogspot.com/

"We are to be Christ's hands and feet and heart and mind and we cannot do that if we assume God's role of judgment. The judge's job is filled. God alone is judge! Those who would be Saviors of the Church and the people in it are also reminded that the Savior's job has been filled. Jesus Christ filled it once for all. "- Bishop Rodney Michel
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 9:22PM #5
GRobit625

May 29, 2012 -- 9:20PM, LitanyoftheSaints wrote:

May 29, 2012 -- 8:59PM, GRobit625 wrote:

Huh? Care to elaborate on this?

My small, but active church has an active outreach  program that is involved with the local food bank, plus we collect food for the needy all year long, we also donate to 2 homeless shelters and collect fleece blankets for cancer patients.

I'll elaborate. How many people bother quoting other parts of the covenant besides those parts that the OP mentioned?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 5:12PM #6
JimRigas

That is a very impressive program, Nino.  How large is your congregation, and did you not run into any zoning problerms regarding housing people in your church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 10:38PM #7
a_dancer

Once a month, I'm the Greeter at my church's food pantry.

Many of our patrons need to be *seen* and are treated with respect and compassion.  Pantry volunteers also have the option of offering to put an individual's name on the lists for the prayer chain. (I did this last week for a man who was out of work & who broke down in tears when he mentionned that, on top of that, his dog had died.) 

Since our distribution point is in our chapel, we get comments & questions about both the  building(s) and the worship services we have.  And there is a supply of Bibles to give if someone asks for one.

I think we--in this particular ministry--do much to feed bodies and souls.

BTW, that day we passed out groceries to feed 160 people. [We were open for a 2 hour period.]

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 1:16PM #8
Nino0814

Some who want to separate acts of charity from preaching the gospel are not new.  They believe that it is important to save a person's soul  from eternal damnation.  The only way to "save" a person is to convert the person to the Christian Faith [which for them is a set of beliefs about God, Jesus, sin, grace, judgement and life after death].  It is a waste of time to point out that these beliefs where developed after Jesus and only related to Jesus' mission as a later innovation of the living community he founded. 

During the Potato Famine pious Irish Protestants would offer soup to the starving Irish Catholics.  They require the Catholics to listen to their sermons, and "convert", in order to receive food from their mission.  This vile practice was later known as Souperism.

That is the same spiritual heresy that some traditionalists are committing when they argue that the Church is spending too much time preaching on social justice and not enough on "the gospel".  The gospel has everything to do with social justice and compassion, and really nothing to do with getting saved from Hell and damnation or sexual morality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 2:11PM #9
Dutch777

Re: "souperism" --- the missionaries did a similar practice in China.  They offered a bowl of rice to Chinese who were willing to convert --- hence "rice Christians".  IMVHO, it's a totally anti-gospel and sleezy practice.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 12:33AM #10
GRobit625

Some people should really have some integrity and just go ahead and join the ranks of the 38,000+.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook