Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Interesting flip-side....
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 8:34PM #11
Nino0814

New Living Translation (©2007)
"Then Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath."  

"Humanism. “Any system of thought or action concerned with the interests or ideals of people … the intellectual and cultural movement … characterized by an emphasis on human interests rather than … religion.”— Webster’s Dictionary

IMO Jesus was a Humanist.

May 15, 2012 -- 1:43AM, GRobit625 wrote:

www.secularhumanism.org/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 9:13PM #12
GRobit625

May 15, 2012 -- 8:34PM, Nino0814 wrote:

New Living Translation (©2007)
"Then Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath."  

"Humanism. “Any system of thought or action concerned with the interests or ideals of people … the intellectual and cultural movement … characterized by an emphasis on human interests rather than … religion.”— Webster’s Dictionary

IMO Jesus was a Humanist.

May 15, 2012 -- 1:43AM, GRobit625 wrote:

www.secularhumanism.org/

Jesus was an observant Jew. I don't think he would qualify as a humanist. You on the other hand...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 9:18PM #13
Roodog

May 14, 2012 -- 8:55PM, Nino0814 wrote:

The Bible is full of hideous examples of human violence and depavity in the name of God.  I would not recommended it as a guide for morality.

I do not understand how anyone living today can believe in God who cares (or cared) about what fabric humans sewed together, if people eat shell fish, or if people of the same sex take pleasure in each other's bodies.   IMO a God who was literally above the world He directly created may have care about such silly stuff, but not the God who is the ground of being of a vast universe, and perhaps multi-verses!  A simple rule of human compassion and social justice should be sufficient.  Certainly the God depicited in the Bible was not always a good example of compassion and justice!

Then, Nino, your involvement with a Christian body is an exercise of futility and hypocrisy.

Why don't you use your Sunday mornings to get some extra rest?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 10:16PM #14
RJMcElwain

May 15, 2012 -- 9:18PM, Roodog wrote:

The Bible is full of hideous examples of human violence and depavity in the name of God.  I would not recommended it as a guide for morality.

I do not understand how anyone living today can believe in God who cares (or cared) about what fabric humans sewed together, if people eat shell fish, or if people of the same sex take pleasure in each other's bodies.   IMO a God who was literally above the world He directly created may have care about such silly stuff, but not the God who is the ground of being of a vast universe, and perhaps multi-verses!  A simple rule of human compassion and social justice should be sufficient.  Certainly the God depicited in the Bible was not always a good example of compassion and justice!

Then, Nino, your involvement with a Christian body is an exercise of futility and hypocrisy.

I can't imagine that very many Christians have not questioned the same issues that Nino has raised, other than some of the Fundies.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 10:42PM #15
Roodog

May 15, 2012 -- 10:16PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

I can't imagine that very many Christians have not questioned the same issues that Nino has raised, other than some of the Fundies.

You too are invited to take your rest on Sunday morning.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 10:42PM #16
GRobit625

But it's true. If that is where he truly arrived at, then what is the point? Why waste your time acting like you are affirming something every Sunday that you truly reject? Just stay in bed like other people do. At least have some integrity about your life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 10:55PM #17
RJMcElwain

May 15, 2012 -- 10:42PM, GRobit625 wrote:

But it's true. If that is where he truly arrived at, then what is the point? Why waste your time acting like you are affirming something every Sunday that you truly reject? Just stay in bed like other people do. At least have some integrity about your life.

Blind acceptance is not TEC. That's RCC. A person who has not questioned the Creeds or any of the doctrines would have to be comatose.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 11:04PM #18
GRobit625

May 15, 2012 -- 10:55PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Blind acceptance is not TEC. That's RCC. A person who has not questioned the Creeds or any of the doctrines would have to be comatose.

"Questioning" is one thing. Outright dening and effectively saying screw it is quite another. I haven't seen him affirm anything. Only break it down into pieces.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 11:31PM #19
RJMcElwain

May 15, 2012 -- 11:04PM, GRobit625 wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 10:55PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

"Questioning" is one thing. Outright dening and effectively saying screw it is quite another. I haven't seen him affirm anything. Only break it down into pieces.

Sorry. I don't feel qualified to require anyone's affirmation, acceptance, indulgence, or humble submission. That's the kind of stuff I leave to my superiors. I've exceeded my bedtime.Smile

Robert J. McElwain

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 11:37PM #20
JimRigas

Some of us think, "There is something there, but it is not quite like they tell it.  Let me think some more about it."  So where do you  think that we should do the thinking?  In the tavern?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook