Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View Interesting flip-side....
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 8:27PM #61
RJMcElwain

May 22, 2012 -- 6:42PM, singer_rcp wrote:

One wonders though, just how united those up front in the RC church are united...what is said publically and what one holds as beliefs privately can be 2 very different things, especially when the private never becomes public for fear...

So very true. But those who speak, publicly, in variance to the "stated word" are quickly silenced. Consider Hans Kueng (sp) as a prime example.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 9:38PM #62
Roodog

Dutch and Rob:

I am merely recalling the response of TEC members, both lay and clergy, to the attitudes and actions of the General Conferences held every three years between 1973 and 1982 in which I was deeply involved with TEC in that decade. They were both distressed and displeased with the decisions and actions taken by the National Church in that time period. This particularly true in 1979 when the General Conference was held in Denver. I and my fellow parishoners saw the goings on up close and personal. Among some of my peers at that time, TEC was going too far too fast. Conversely, on certain vital issues, TEC was taking no action whatsoever or they acted in an indecisive fashion.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook