Switch to Forum Live View Can Two People Ever Really Agree? We May Never Know!
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 4:56PM #1
Nino0814

Interesting study that indicates that we may not even experiences a concept the same!

Two people who agree on a doctrine or dogma, may actually not believe the same things:

"Rather than thinking of concepts as something we have in our minds, like entries in a mental encyclopedia, it may be more fruitful to think of concepts as something that we do with our minds. Thoughts are instantiated in brains, and brains are always changing—therefore, our thoughts are always changing." Source:  www.psychologytoday.com/blog/malleable-m...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:17PM #2
Dutch777

Nino,

That's one of those psychological & existential conundrums we'll never solve. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Sometime, the cultural aspects are so obviously different, as this video clip indicates.  This church was right down the road from my office but I never has the b@!!$ to attend.  What are they thinking?  See it through and enjoy; it's brief.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdc5h10zTo&feature=related

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:31PM #3
Nino0814

I'd say you had the good sense to stay the hell away from that literal snack pit!

IMO they are not too different from other Christians who would withhold medical treatment from a loved one, or would disown one over some religious difference, or life style issue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 10:17PM #4
Jupiter6208

Dancing the jig playing with snakes and drinking strychnine and praying to God that they don't Die lovely....

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 10:55PM #5
Dutch777

May 1, 2012 -- 10:17PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Dancing the jig playing with snakes and drinking strychnine and praying to God that they don't Die lovely....

I'll tell you what's lovely.  A friend just gave me a big wedge of brie cheese.  That's lovely.  The snakes, strychnine and funky music aren't.

Nino is correct. All sorts of totally weird bull$#!+ is passed off under the name of religion.  I'm getting ready to hit the sack.  Hope I don't dream of snakes or strychnine.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 4:25PM #6
BBarton

May 1, 2012 -- 10:17PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Well, I've always had a fondness for dancing jigs, I've handled my share of snakes (in the grass), and I suppose you could say one's poison is another's whiskey, but none of this was what I'd call worshipping. Innocent

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook