Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is this a new meaning of "wearing the cross"?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:54AM #1
Nino0814

It is sad to see Christians bemoaning the decline of outward religiousity and beliving that the secularization of our culture is the cause of the decline of the number of adherents, and not our own failure to follow the gospel. The leader of the RCC in Scotland, like Fox News, wants the symbols of Christianity to be more on public display:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17611036

IMO this is a fake fight!  One to rally up the faithful, that is really meaningless to those who do not believe, and ineffective in making us true messengers of "the way of the cross".

Am I over reacting to the Cardinal's, and people on Fox News', view about there being a "war on Christianity"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 1:47PM #2
Dutch777

Flapping one's religion around in public is in bad taste.  Amongst some young people, the wearing of the cross or a rosary is considered totally chic.  The cross is not a means of making a political or societal statement; it's a way of life best led quietly and reverently.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:21PM #3
LitanyoftheSaints

Hmph..and I thought the faux "War on Christianity" was only happening in the States. I guess not.

"The centrality of our mission is to love each other. That means caring for our neighbors. And it does not mean bickering about fine points of doctrine."- ++KJS
http://kjsfanpage.blogspot.com/
http://chicksinpointyhats.blogspot.com/

"We are to be Christ's hands and feet and heart and mind and we cannot do that if we assume God's role of judgment. The judge's job is filled. God alone is judge! Those who would be Saviors of the Church and the people in it are also reminded that the Savior's job has been filled. Jesus Christ filled it once for all. "- Bishop Rodney Michel
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 11:31PM #4
Roodog

Let your deeds match your creeds. The best display of ones faith is that you lead a blameless and godly life.

(I'm still trying to get that part down)

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 1:22AM #5
Spokang

Mandating that one wear a cross is a cheap action and commercialization of Christ.  It's a personal choice, not a requirement. The jewelry makers must love the bishop.   I feel the same about the omnipresent USA flag lapel pin; it basically says, I'm more of a patriot than you, and if you don't wear one, you are not a true American.  Or in this case, not a true Christian.

Jim

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 9:43AM #6
RJMcElwain

Apr 7, 2012 -- 11:31PM, Roodog wrote:

Let your deeds match your creeds. The best display of ones faith is that you lead a blameless and godly life.

(I'm still trying to get that part down)

Agreed. However, if I was going to wear a Christian symbol around my neck, it would be an Ichthus. A far better symbol of the Christian life.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 3:10PM #7
singer_rcp

I'm with living your life by Christian creed and deed.  "Will you proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ?"  Will you seek andd serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself?  Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?"    The answer to all three; "I will with God's help".  Do I need to wear something to do this?  No.  Can I wear something and not do any of theses?  Unfortunately, yes.

Far better the bishop should ficus on having his people live by these promises.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 3:11PM #8
singer_rcp

And I can't type  ficus is focus.  (Sigh)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 8:53PM #9
Dutch777

"Ficus" is a family of fig trees.

Gautama Buddha was enlightened while meditating under the ficus/fig tree, now referred to as the "ficus religiosa".

Are you a Buddhist ?  Laughing

www.treewalls.com/images/fig-tree-8.jpg

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 2:25PM #10
BBarton

Does anyone find it curious that the "Believers" symbol changed from a fish into a cross?

Fishers of men  ...........to an implement of execution?         

That's kind of strange, when you think about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook