2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 5:50PM #1
withwonderingawe

Went to the new City Creek mall the Church spent 1.5 billion on, it’s beautiful. I understand why they did it, I think they were afraid the down town would become like so many other cities filled with old and unused buildings. They built it so when you stand in one of the court yards you can see the temple framed by the buildings, it’s kind of neat. The walk ways hug the old buildings and they’ve added on new store fronts. The creek runs through it and it is just pleasant to walk around in. I stood in line to buy a Mickey Mouse for my grandson and got a delicious piece of lemon raspberry cheesecake from the Factory. We took a peek in at Tiffany’s and held a $1450 pair of shoes at Nostrums. They were the most ridiculous high heals you ever saw with these wing things and little red lights glued on the back.

Take a look here;
www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/city-c...

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 8:46PM #2
moksha8088

I think the final price tag was $5 billion dollars.  Haven't been there but I understand it is very luxurious with the retractable roof, airport update monitors, two waterfalls and a trout stocked stream.  The price tag alone for the genetically engineered trout (they needed to be able to live in water that had plastic/vinyl particulates from the waterproofing) was $155 million.  Shoppers and sight seers should appreciate what it took to make the City Creek experience happen. 

This will be a very high scale shopping experience to enjoy.  The newspapers reported there would be free pick up and delivery for airport passengers, so come shop in Utah. Please.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 11:59PM #3
withwonderingawe

The article says "... Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which hopes that the$1.5 billion temple of consumption will redeem Salt Lake City's blighted downtown, where the Church is also headquartered."

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 10:12PM #4
moksha8088

WWA, doing a little research lead me to more on those two figures.  $1.5 Billion is indeed the estimated cost for the mall, and the $5 billion figure is for the estimated cost of the entire redevelopment plan.

Ran into some more figures that might be interesting:

Mall of America in Bloomington, MN and City Creek Mall in SLC, UT:

Mall of America
4.2 million square feet
$650,200,000 in 1992
$997,288,392 in today's dollars

City Creek Mall
700,000 square feet of retail space, plus more in the residential section. 

Canada has the largest mall in total square feet in North America and a mall in Dubai is the "largest" in total sq ft.  The Dubai mall is the most visited of all malls.

So perhaps we can become the Dubai of the Great Basin.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 6:32PM #5
Karirayson

My aunt and uncle live in a condo that overlooks the City Creek mall and is directly across from Temple Square.  I visited them in February and the mall wasn't open yet.  My aunt says it's amazing.  I'm not Mormon (long time investigator) but I loved walking around Temple Square and felt safe walking around downtown SLC (I stayed at the Kimpton Monaco Hotel 2 blocks from Temple Square).  It is an amazing place.  Yes, there were a couple of panhandlers downtown and I ran across some questionable people that made me a little nervous but overall I was impressed with the whole area.  I look forward to going back and I plan to again walk the grounds of Temple Square, visit the Deseret Book store and City Creek Mall!  Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 12:19AM #6
MMCSFOX

My wife and I were up in Salt Lake this past week and had a chance with some family to go into the City Creek mall food court for lunch. WOW. As we entered I was having a little low blood sugar event and went looking for a sugar packet at one of the businesses to give me a boost until we could get our food.  It seems almost no one served coffee, so no need of sugar. I did find 2 in the whole food court that did serve coffee out of all of the food venders there. Still it is a very neat place that seems to be dealing with large crowds, all of which seemed to enjoy it.

Jesse F.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 7:01PM #7
Acts 28:22

Destination Downtown

Orson Scott Card's take on City Creek Mall and downtown shopping districts in general.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 4:19PM #8
MMCSFOX

I just finished reading Orson Scott Card's take on City Creek Mall and downtown shopping districts in general.

My own comments follow:

There IS a large food court with a large choice of food, but few serving coffee as I had noted before. Cool

We took the train from Lehi to Salt Lake and it was almost standing room only as well as the return trip. Most got off at the same place as us, downtown, Salt Lake. We found the mall fairly packed, especially the food court. As we were simply window shopping we only went into a few stores, but found all of them with active buyers. I am a picky buyer in that I try to shop where the sales tax I pay goes to my own local City etc. Even so I would be willing to schedule a trip to the S C mall for needed stuff, if living in that area. It was an enjoyable tour as we wondered through and spent much more time there than we scheduled. As we get to Salt lake about once a year I will see if it has changed next trip.

Jesse F.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook