Switch to Forum Live View Last Supper and Passover
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 3:02PM #1
slate
HI,

I just returned from Good Friday service at my church.  The Gospel was from John 18-19.  John 19:14 says Jesus was crucified on the Day of Preparation for the Passover or at least,  that was my understanding from the lesson.   Then, I remembered that the Last Supper was on the night before He was crucified.  Was not the Last Supper the same as the Passover?

Thanks for your explanation, anyone.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 8:12AM #2
slate

There was a reply here!  What happened?  The answer was helpful and I wanted to review it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:49AM #3
journeying

The Gospels put the Last Supper on different days. Here is one article on the subject. There are many.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 5:51PM #4
Dutch777

It might have been my response that went into "file 13".

No great loss to the groves of academe.  Laughing

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 5:51PM #5
Nino0814

The Gospel of John was arranged to convey a theological message, not to relay history.  That is really true of all gospels, but we see this clearly in John, as he greatly departs from the others.

In the introduction, Jesus is declared by John the Baptist to be "The Lamb of God".  Therefore Jesus, in John's gospel, becomes literally the lamb sacrificed for Passover.  Later John's gospel has the high priest, declare that Jesus should die "for the nation".  This is call  a double entendre, it had a literal meaning, that Jesus should die to prevent the Roman's from destroying the nation, and a spiritual (hidden) meaning, that Jesus would be the Passover Lamb for the nation.  Therefore Jesus could not be at the Passover, since he was the Passover Meal.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook