Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Where or What is Heaven?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 4:15PM #1
Nino0814

John Meacham's column is worth pondering: ideas.time.com/2012/04/05/should-we-brin...

What exactly do you think heaven is?  The mormon see it quite literally as a place in time and space (and actual planet), IMO it resembles something more like "quality" a state of things.  Does your idea fit within these "book ends" or somewhere else?   

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 7:13AM #2
Jupiter6208

Well you can't find it on a map Nino.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 8:41AM #3
Dutch777

Heaven, like Nirvana and Love, isn't a "where" or "what" --- except to the fundies (you know: dem golden streets & pearlie gates).  

I understand heaven and hell to be states of being and relationships characterized by the presence or absence of God/Love.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 9:51AM #4
JimRigas

Apr 6, 2012 -- 8:41AM, Dutch777 wrote:

Heaven, like Nirvana and Love, isn't a "where" or "what" --- except to the fundies (you know: dem golden streets & pearlie gates).  

I understand heaven and hell to be states of being and relationships characterized by the presence or absence of God/Love.

For the living until they die? or something else?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 1:19PM #5
Dutch777

[/quote]
For the living until they die? or something else?
[/quote]

Wherever God's Love prevails, there too is heaven.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 12:04AM #6
Carsonthecrucifer

No one knows what or where Heaven is.  If you look to scripture, I would say you don't get anything really definitive.  Sometimes its a physical place that can be described in human terms (streets, gold etc) and then its also a spiritual place or state where we don't have physical bodies, we don't age, there's no marriage (who's miss that anyway?) and we live forever.  But really, we just don't know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 1:04PM #7
Roodog

Life is short, only a few decades. Eternity is forever.

Heaven is being able to hang out with God forever and it can begin even as we speak.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 2:35PM #8
slate

I do, indeed, believe in life after death.  Where and how this takes place, I do not know.  When I think about all the questions I would like to ask God, I believe that one day, I will get the answers! I do not know if there is a place called heaven.  That seems kind of far-fetched, but whenever I start asking questions that I know no one has the answer but God, I get comfort in believing that  someday, I will get the answer.

As far as heaven is concerned, I agree that if there is no place called heaven, I will not be disappointed.  I have often experienced heaven right here on earth.  To experience Joy- that is heaven.  To experience Peace- that is heaven. How many other ways do we experience heaven? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 10:36PM #9
Jupiter6208

Heaven is not about religious beliefs, but about spiritual actions. It is not true, as some people believe, that we get to heaven by giving verbal assent to belief in God. It is love, not religious doctrines, that creates spiritual growth. Religions are cultural insitutions but love is universal. Those religions which claim superiority over other religions or exclude people for various reasons, go against God's law to love others as we love ourselves. Although religion, in itself, is not important to God, all religions are necessary because there are people who need what they teach. For this reason, all religions are precious in the sight of God. All religions refer to the same God. All religions are different ways of trying to describe the same God. After death, if you insist upon searching for an old man on a throne as God, you will do this for awhile until you get the idea that you are following an illusion.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 6:00AM #10
BBarton

This is an interesting topic.

In our language, "heaven" is a place noun.  That makes it confusing somewhat, as heaven includes yet transcends time, place, and personage.

Perhaps rather than a place noun, it is a state of being.

How do we enter?  From within according to Jesus and in the Psalms we're told to enter with thanksgiving and praise.   Gratitude or Baditude? 

Do we wait to die?  Jesus said there were some then who would enter before passing. 

I think we're here to spread the Kingdom of heaven rather than waiting to die to get there.  And if we're to enter from within, we might need to do some excavating of our souls.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook