3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 1:54AM #1
MMCSFOX

I have not been able to put the question of, who are our neighbors and what do I owe them out of my mind for some time?  Then I think back to the most famous line in Voltairs “Candide.” “We must cultivate our garden.”

We do not all have to grow the same produce as meals would be pretty boring. I look at our local Optimist where one club works for Childhood Cancer programs, another for children’s nutrition programs, another teaches youth to fly, another raises funds primarily for academic scholarships for high School grads. Another raises funds for the Optimist Youth Home and Family service kids. www.oyhfs.org The kids in residence at the youth home are those sent by the courts and have been kicked out of two or three other places. The Home also has an accredited high school, oversees Foster families and trains Foster parents. (Check the web site for more.)

Thus my thinking is that we as LDS MUST be constantly involved in our community. We don’t have to tell people who we are, they just know. In our Ward we have members involved in all of the local service groups. Of course we all work in our LDS programs to help others.

Jesse F.

September 1938 Neville Chamberlain announced that “I believe it is peace in our time… go home and get a nice quite sleep.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:01PM #2
MMCSFOX

Here is an opportunity for those healthy Los Angeles area, easy going, sports people to help the Optimist Youth Home raise a few dollars and have some fun while they are at it. It is a simple WALKATHON in the area around the Home and school. This Youth home is simply one of those places that is in the business of savings at-risk kids and deserves all the help we can give.

Please see the Optimist Youth Home web sight WWW.OYHFS.ORG for the walkathon information.

Jesse F. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 8:39AM #3
withwonderingawe

Does being Queen of my Red Hat society count? Innocent

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 2:12PM #4
MMCSFOX

YES. Our local Red Hat society has always been involved with the Youth Home and other local service organizations. We used to have a couple  of memers in our Ward but not now. Here is a chance to tell many what you do for I have seen them do more than what is listed in thier mission statement.

Jesse

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook