Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Should I be Offended?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:48AM #21
RJMcElwain

Mar 31, 2012 -- 12:06AM, slu_magoo wrote:

Talk about directionless and unprincipled!  Bob, have you paid attention to what's passing for 'libertarian' these days?  On another thread, another poster wrote that people of conscience should support 'libertarian' hero Ron Paul.  (You agreed.)  Ron Paul is nothing more than a states-righter.  That's not libertarian.  Unless you want to count George Wallace and Strom Thurmond among your fold (or your fold of deceased heroes), then it makes no sense to be a Ron Paul supporter.  Liberty should be for all in the US -- that's libertarianism.  Letting some states oppress and discriminate at will--which is what Ron Paul supports just like George Wallace before him--is hardly libertarian.  It's chickenshit.

Actually Slu, I was thinking of Gary Johnson, who is the Libertarian Candidate. He has a full Libertarian platform that I agree with. OTOH, the last time around, the Libertarian candidate was so pathetic that I voted for Obama instead. He was the only candidate of the three with an ounce of intelligence.

And if you go to Paul's web site, he's still pretty orthodox Libertarian from what I've read. Not on all issues though. After all, he's running as a Republican.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 1:01PM #22
Dutch777

Bob,

You and others might be interested in the "Nolan Chart", developed by David Nolan, one of the original founders of the Libertarian Party.  It is a more analytic assessment of where one stands politically, and in other ways.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_chart

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:12PM #23
slu_magoo

Mar 31, 2012 -- 7:48AM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Talk about directionless and unprincipled!  Bob, have you paid attention to what's passing for 'libertarian' these days?  On another thread, another poster wrote that people of conscience should support 'libertarian' hero Ron Paul.  (You agreed.)  Ron Paul is nothing more than a states-righter.  That's not libertarian.  Unless you want to count George Wallace and Strom Thurmond among your fold (or your fold of deceased heroes), then it makes no sense to be a Ron Paul supporter.  Liberty should be for all in the US -- that's libertarianism.  Letting some states oppress and discriminate at will--which is what Ron Paul supports just like George Wallace before him--is hardly libertarian.  It's chickenshit.

Actually Slu, I was thinking of Gary Johnson, who is the Libertarian Candidate. He has a full Libertarian platform that I agree with. OTOH, the last time around, the Libertarian candidate was so pathetic that I voted for Obama instead. He was the only candidate of the three with an ounce of intelligence.

And if you go to Paul's web site, he's still pretty orthodox Libertarian from what I've read. Not on all issues though. After all, he's running as a Republican.

Bob --

The last great Libertarian Party candidate was, imo, Harry Browne.  He made sense.  I didn't agree with him on everything, obviously, but at least when I listened to him expound on libertarian philosophy, I didn't immediately think he was a nut.  The guy back in the early 90s struck me the same way, too.  I think his name was something like Andre Marou (forgive the misspelling).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:34PM #24
Dutch777

[/quote]
 I think his name was something like Andre Marou (forgive the misspelling).[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Marrou

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 9:38PM #25
RJMcElwain

Mar 31, 2012 -- 6:12PM, slu_magoo wrote:

Mar 31, 2012 -- 7:48AM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Bob --

The last great Libertarian Party candidate was, imo, Harry Browne.  He made sense.  I didn't agree with him on everything, obviously, but at least when I listened to him expound on libertarian philosophy, I didn't immediately think he was a nut.  The guy back in the early 90s struck me the same way, too.  I think his name was something like Andre Marou (forgive the misspelling).

Harry Brown was one of the best communicators of Libertarian philosophy since the party was started a few decades ago. Paul has done well in this regard but most MDs are not great communicators. Gary Johnson may be our best yet. One can only hope, because the two majors are totally bought and paid for by those who want to maintain deficit spending forever, as long as they get their piece of the pie.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook