Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:11PM #1
RJMcElwain

In another thread, it was mentioned that the Diocese of Oregon has just 3,000 members. Nationwide, we have fewer than 2,000,000 members in 105 Dioceses.

Does this seem like an incredible waste of precious resources? The cost of maintaining 105 Diocesan offices and attendant Bishops and staffs could be reduced by halving the number of Diocese and redirecting those funds to the real work of the Church. Does this make sense to anyone?

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:29PM #2
Nino0814

Absolutely.  I would not be surprised to find out that this was studied before.   One thing potentially impeding such a reform is membership of TEC expectation of frequent engagement with their bishops.   Would TEC ever consider allowing the priests preside at confirmation?   I am not sure what other responsibilities our bishops have.  Some may need to be delegated to the parishes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 5:16PM #3
Dutch777

It makes excellent sense.

As for confirmation, I see no theological reason why the priest cannot administer the sacrament.  In the EOC, the priest administers charismation / confirmation with holy oils blest by the bishop.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 5:17PM #4
Nino0814

I fully agree.  Confirmation is the extension of Baptism, which I believe can be administered (in an emergency) by any baptised Christian (at least in the RCC).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 5:23PM #5
GRobit625

Bishops ordain and consecrate chrism. As far as having priests confirm folks, there might be an outcry about Anglican tradition. And in any sense, I don't know what good that will do by giving that power to priests. Dioceses like the one mentioned need to merge. Some people are going to have to put the mitres down. Bishops might have to travel more. Does there need to be Bishop Suffergans? That's just more compensation to pay out. My advice, just make a bishop for the whole state.  1 Bishop per state. Have confirmations in the cathedrals maybe 2-3 times a year. Make them be flying bishops.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 6:22PM #6
Roodog

Mar 29, 2012 -- 4:11PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

In another thread, it was mentioned that the Diocese of Oregon has just 3,000 members. Nationwide, we have fewer than 2,000,000 members in 105 Dioceses.

Does this seem like an incredible waste of precious resources? The cost of maintaining 105 Diocesan offices and attendant Bishops and staffs could be reduced by halving the number of Diocese and redirecting those funds to the real work of the Church. Does this make sense to anyone?

Why 106 dioceases when we only have 50 states?

("Disease" may be more accurate than "diocese")

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 6:48PM #7
journeying

If Pennsylvania had one bishop, we would never see him or her. In fact I doubt we would have any connection to the diocese at all. Prior to my election as Senior Warden we've had amost no connection other than the bishop's annual visit. When we took three to Erie for confirmation/reception at Easter Vigil last year, several others went along for their first visit to the cathedral. Even cradles have never had any reason to visit the cathedral or have anything to do with the diocese. This has a major effect on attitudes toward the diocesan assessment. When we were between priests, several high payers dropped out because they resented the assessment which they believed was too high and for which we were not getting any help. As far as our parish is concerned, the diocese is an unnecessary evil. That attitude will raise its ugly head this fall when we petition to become a mission. I will appreciate prayers and armor but I'm prepared.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 8:19PM #8
Nino0814

Mar 29, 2012 -- 5:23PM, GRobit625 wrote:

Make them be flying bishops.

I agree!  If it could work for RCC nuns it could work for our bishops: www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.ph... Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 8:30PM #9
GRobit625

Mar 29, 2012 -- 8:19PM, Nino0814 wrote:

Make them be flying bishops.

I agree!  If it could work for RCC nuns it could work for our bishops: www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.ph...

Ooooooooooooook.............

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 8:52PM #10
Dutch777

there might be an outcry about Anglican tradition.

GRo,

No matter what happens or doesn't happen, there's always an outcry about Anglican Tradtion.

If there's a different brand of coffee brewed at coffee hour, there's a bloody outcry.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next