Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 9:45PM #11
LitanyoftheSaints

I thought TEC had 110 dioceses, when did it become 105??

"The centrality of our mission is to love each other. That means caring for our neighbors. And it does not mean bickering about fine points of doctrine."- ++KJS
http://kjsfanpage.blogspot.com/
http://chicksinpointyhats.blogspot.com/

"We are to be Christ's hands and feet and heart and mind and we cannot do that if we assume God's role of judgment. The judge's job is filled. God alone is judge! Those who would be Saviors of the Church and the people in it are also reminded that the Savior's job has been filled. Jesus Christ filled it once for all. "- Bishop Rodney Michel
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:01PM #12
RJMcElwain

Mar 29, 2012 -- 9:45PM, LitanyoftheSaints wrote:

I thought TEC had 110 dioceses, when did it become 105??

Are you counting the overseas nondomestic Dioceses? That might be the difference.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 1:39PM #13
RJMcElwain

Mar 29, 2012 -- 5:23PM, GRobit625 wrote:

Bishops ordain and consecrate chrism. As far as having priests confirm folks, there might be an outcry about Anglican tradition. And in any sense, I don't know what good that will do by giving that power to priests. Dioceses like the one mentioned need to merge. Some people are going to have to put the mitres down. Bishops might have to travel more. Does there need to be Bishop Suffergans? That's just more compensation to pay out. My advice, just make a bishop for the whole state.  1 Bishop per state. Have confirmations in the cathedrals maybe 2-3 times a year. Make them be flying bishops.

Here's a new article on The Lead which kind of describes what Bishops should be about.

www.episcopalcafe.com/lead/bishops/first...

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 2:05PM #14
GRobit625

Mar 30, 2012 -- 1:39PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 5:23PM, GRobit625 wrote:

Bishops ordain and consecrate chrism. As far as having priests confirm folks, there might be an outcry about Anglican tradition. And in any sense, I don't know what good that will do by giving that power to priests. Dioceses like the one mentioned need to merge. Some people are going to have to put the mitres down. Bishops might have to travel more. Does there need to be Bishop Suffergans? That's just more compensation to pay out. My advice, just make a bishop for the whole state.  1 Bishop per state. Have confirmations in the cathedrals maybe 2-3 times a year. Make them be flying bishops.

Here's a new article on The Lead which kind of describes what Bishops should be about.

www.episcopalcafe.com/lead/bishops/first...

Very good to see this. Not sure about those comments on it though. They should just be happy that our leadership is taking a stand on something that is less likely to divide us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:22PM #15
Mostyn32

While I applaud Bishop Brewer's involvement with his community in the protest over the handlking of the Trayvon Martin case, one of the items in the comments concerned me, and that was the one about Bishop Brewer's "literal interpretation of the Bible". Ouch! That's rather unAnglican. Doesn't the man own a three-legged stool?

Meanwhile, I share the concern over the number of Dioceses. Here in Canada, we have 29 dioceses serving some eight million Anglicans from coast to coast to coast, and I suggest that both the Anglican Church of Canada and The Episcopal Church rejig diocesan boundaries to reflect population rather than geographical areas. The number of Bishops will be reduced by attrition eventually, and when a Bishop dies or retires, that would be a good time to redefine his/her diocese.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:34PM #16
journeying

That FL diocese is very "conservative". Howe held it in TEC but wasn't shy about condemning us at every opportunity. Not as nasty as Love in Albany tho. And a far cry from SC fortunately.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:37PM #17
GRobit625

I saw that comment, and I believe it's obvious that +Brewer doesn't believe in a literal sense. If he did, I doubt if he would be in TEC at all, much less a bishop in it, when you need the female PB to lead your consecraction...I guess believing that marriage is between a man and a women now equals a literal interpetation. Good grief.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook