Switch to Forum Live View The Meme of Martyrdom
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:19PM #1
Nino0814

There are few examples of more successful memes than that of the honor of martydom or persecution in the pursuit of one's Faith.  Dying for our Faith is not something most of us thankfully will need to face, yet some Christians so honor this dedication to Faith that they are willing to exaggerate the risks, or to even encourage it.   

Here is an example of one church's attempt to implant the meme in their youth group:  www.religionnews.com/faith/clergy-and-co...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 2:24PM #2
Roodog

Mar 27, 2012 -- 9:19PM, Nino0814 wrote:

There are few examples of more successful memes than that of the honor of martydom or persecution in the pursuit of one's Faith.  Dying for our Faith is not something most of us thankfully will need to face, yet some Christians so honor this dedication to Faith that they are willing to exaggerate the risks, or to even encourage it.   

Here is an example of one church's attempt to implant the meme in their youth group:  www.religionnews.com/faith/clergy-and-co...

I have done two short stints on the mission field, which my church has encouraged for years and still is extending opportunity for the laity to engage in. Usually it is edifying and encouraging local believers or building a needed facility like a school or clinic. However, much of this is done in the third world where our safety is not guaranteed.

During my first trip to Mexico our vehicle was stopped by a military road block and lots of nervous soldiers were pointing loaded guns in our direction. The possibility of being shot will really make you count the cost.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook